THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey rc,..... have you tried Bismuth shot?

I know it's pricey, but it has some decent density.

View attachment 1794006

Have not tried it. Slacked off waterfowl with the loss of my goose scaring buddy.
Two guys in wheelchairs hunting wet ground and near water had an element of fun at times.
I cautioned my wobbly electric chaired friend when he crowded a pond edge and started to tip after I'd already warned (?) him the edge was soft , that it was a long ways to the nearby polebarn for me to go break in and find a section of garden hose , return to the pond and toss it to him underwater to breath through while we waited for the fire department to extract him. Ect. and so on.

No more cigars , B.S. sessions while waiting ; and shots fired in self defense when calling goes just right.:laughing7:
We did educate a few birds though. And shared some golden hours of some great seasons, outdoors.

Most times just being able to get "out there" was a celebrated success...
My friend liked to say don't let deer get in the way of deer hunting.
That translated to waterfowl too. But waterfowl was a little more festive sometimes.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SanMan,
Not bad the weather has been hovering around the freezing mark the last few days and scheduled to stay that way for a bit more.
That's pretty mild weather for this time of the year around here.

Brother, I'm sorry to hear that.

Well, time to work on off season projects.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not tried it. Slacked off waterfowl with the loss of my goose scaring buddy.
Two guys in wheelchairs hunting wet ground and near water had an element of fun at times.
I cautioned my wobbly electric chaired friend when he crowded a pond edge and started to tip after I'd already warned (?) him the edge was soft , that it was a long ways to the nearby polebarn for me to go break in and find a section of garden hose , return to the pond and toss it to him underwater to breath through while we waited for the fire department to extract him. Ect. and so on.

No more cigars , B.S. sessions while waiting ; and shots fired in self defense when calling goes just right.:laughing7:
We did educate a few birds though. And shared some golden hours of some great seasons, outdoors.

Most times just being able to get "out there" was a celebrated success...
My friend liked to say don't let deer get in the way of deer hunting.
That translated to waterfowl too. But waterfowl was a little more festive sometimes.

You are so right rc,........

"Any" of the times I took to the field,...... I could have forgotten my firearm, and could care less.

I was out of the city, doing something besides work, and breathing fresh air.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning DS,..... they pushed for tungsten shot over by you too?

I thought it was a California thing?

It's part of the Federal 1984 Migratory Bird Treaty Act. By 1990 or so all waterfowl every where in every State required non toxic shot instead of lead. Well cripes, when you use shot less dense than lead shot you gotta use bigger size pellets in order to achieve enough penatration. In fact, you gotta use pellets so much larger than lead shot with steel shot that you lose pattern density to severe degree, and to the point where a 12ga. loaded with steel is slightly less effective than a 28ga. loaded with lead. The tungsten I used was about the same density as lead, so why the heck not just use the 28ga?

The 28ga. ain't really the handicap some think it is. A 70% pattern at 40 yards is a 70% pattern no matter if it is 1-1/4oz or 3/4oz. All you lose with the smaller payload pattern density- on clay targets a 28ga. is no handicap whatsoever, IMO. With duck? Yeah sure I could have more pattern density shooting 1-1/8 oz wolfram out of a twelve gauge instead of 3/4oz or 13/16oz out of the 28ga, but the expense of using an extra 3/8 oz of wolfram would cause the cost of shells to skyrocket. You only need 3/4 oz of the dense stuff to kill a duck. Last time I bought Hevi-Shot tungsten to load it was bout $150 for a mere 7lb bag. Nowadays it's about twice that.

Besides, I'm not a pass shooter shooting 45 yards or more. Most every shot is over decoys at 25 yards or less.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relevant Chair, I did not know you were on wheels. But- if you ever roll your way into the state of WI I know a place that might be ideal for a guy like you to hunt waterfowl.

There was a farmer's field near a small creek where the farmer had to run pumps 24-7 to keep the field dry enough to farm crops. The state bought it and shut the pumps off. This is now a whole square mile of marsh now except most of the old road across the field is still above water. Most people bike in, I hike in with a boat strapped to my back. It's a tiny little one man boat, but you could roll yourself out to the middle of the marsh and shoot ducks and geese. I'll do the retriving for you anytime. The name of the road is Kincaid. The name of my backpack boat is "The Kincaid Special" :laughing7:

Relevant Chair, you Sir, are invited.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's part of the Federal 1984 Migratory Bird Treaty Act. By 1990 or so all waterfowl every where in every State required non toxic shot instead of lead. Well cripes, when you use shot less dense than lead shot you gotta use bigger size pellets in order to achieve enough penatration. In fact, you gotta use pellets so much larger than lead shot with steel shot that you lose pattern density to severe degree, and to the point where a 12ga. loaded with steel is slightly less effective than a 28ga. loaded with lead. The tungsten I used was about the same density as lead, so why the heck not just use the 28ga?

The 28ga. ain't really the handicap some think it is. A 70% pattern at 40 yards is a 70% pattern no matter if it is 1-1/4oz or 3/4oz. All you lose with the smaller payload pattern density- on clay targets a 28ga. is no handicap whatsoever, IMO. With duck? Yeah sure I could have more pattern density shooting 1-1/8 oz wolfram out of a twelve gauge instead of 3/4oz or 13/16oz out of the 28ga, but the expense of using an extra 3/8 oz of wolfram would cause the cost of shells to skyrocket. You only need 3/4 oz of the dense stuff to kill a duck. Last time I bought Hevi-Shot tungsten to load it was bout $150 for a mere 7lb bag. Nowadays it's about twice that.

Besides, I'm not a pass shooter shooting 45 yards or more. Most every shot is over decoys at 25 yards or less.

Some good info DS, thanks.

Have you given Bismuth shot a try?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I like it. But the commercially loaded stuff is kind of so-so for what it costs. I have not bought any to load myself. Maybe next year 'cause there is no way I am paying for bulk Hevi-shot ever again, too expensive.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right,........

I wonder how price wise it would be ordering straight from the ball makers,.......

Like "Baltec", "Spherics", or "Winstead Ball"?

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty,

Are those the bottles you had a mix up about the amount for shipping?

Yes they are. They arrived pretty fast from coming all the way from Washington.

The medicine bottle is the oldest, and coolest. It dates to around 1860-1869, without the pontil because the base is too thin for it. Not much is known about these bottles, other than the fact that Doherty sold most of his products to Chinese laborers.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went to take my permit test today, and passed. BUT the computer systems crashed, and I have no permit anyway. :/

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,
So are you planning to keep them or flip them for a profit?

Yes they are. They arrived pretty fast from coming all the way from Washington.

The medicine bottle is the oldest, and coolest. It dates to around 1860-1869, without the pontil because the base is too thin for it. Not much is known about these bottles, other than the fact that Doherty sold most of his products to Chinese laborers.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,

Congratulations on passing the test.....next priority is getting an old beater of a car so you're more mobile and not waiting on the folks to get out and about.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here ya go Rusty. I waited till after your test....
Right around the 3:25 mark it starts getting good.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Old Coke bottles and what they're worth. Adventure Archaeology on YouTube. A great site and good folks if you have a question.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old Coke bottles and what they're worth. Adventure Archaeology on YouTube. A great site and good folks if you have a question.

I know Clayton, and have his email already. Great channel, two very helpful guys.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty,
So are you planning to keep them or flip them for a profit?

I might later on. The Flask and Whiskey would be the ones I most likely pick to flip. I also bought a rare Mason jar today, a horsefords phosphate . Co. advertisement and a fancy Ginger beer that should fetch a nice price.

DSC_0768.jpg DSC_0770.jpg

ad will be posted later.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I had something to tell AARC,.......

An estate sale with a cast iron cannon collection,.........

Hunted down a picture,......

Cast Iron.jpg

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
scan.jpg scane.jpg scanes.jpg

At $2, this was a steal. This is a advertising booklet, dating to 1891.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread