THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wait a minute. That's an actual picture of mine. (Really)
You need to look closer because I can see the leaves. Sort of. I have to move the picture to see it's not just my dirty screen shading differences.
I have the following one with flash used but it's a deer suspended in the maple and not P.C..
I would of blushed if you had called it an oak tree. Just saying

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Afternoon all xx its at last the end of the week😅 xx so looking forward to 4 days off.. but the weather is not looking great.. so may have 4 days sitting in the potting shed drinking mugs of tea😆 xx 🤗
Careful.
Some tea was found with a slight haze atop a cup.
Others studied were found to be with a hint of haze mid depth.

While no side effects or negative consequences have arisen it may be best to add just a wee dram of snow snake bite preventative just in case.
Doubly so if it's raining. Snakes not carrying canteens or possessing a manner of carry a bottle of cider or a flask of tea ... have discovered through trial and error that such events (rain) allows them greater travel distance.

Just don't get too potted!
Here's a snowsnake preventative proven by no snakes being encountered in Ireland durin a forgotten snow or was it rainin event some forgotten wheres about in history?

DSC_4471-scaled-e1590891120204.jpg

Last edited:

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Careful.
Some tea was found with a slight haze atop a cup.
Others studied were found to be with a hint of haze mid depth.

While no side effects or negative consequences have arisen it may be best to add just a wee dram of snow snake bite preventative just in case.
Doubly so if it's raining. Snakes not carrying canteens or possessing a manner of carry a bottle of cider of a flask of tea ... have discovered through trial and error that such events (rain) allows them greater travel distance.

Just don't get too potted!
Here's a snowsnake preventative proven by no snakes being encountered in Ireland durin a forgotten snow or was it rainin event some forgotten wheres about in history?

DSC_4471-scaled-e1590891120204.jpg
Great advice as ever RC…!! That would certainly create a frisson of excitement if we are indeed shed bound 😆 xx

Its crazy we are so stuck for treasure hunting this year due to the weather… we may have to resort to headlands and bald patches in fields if we do have a dry day this weekend 🫤 xx

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great advice as ever RC…!! That would certainly create a frisson of excitement if we are indeed shed bound 😆 xx

Its crazy we are so stuck for treasure hunting this year due to the weather… we may have to resort to headlands and bald patches in fields if we do have a dry day this weekend 🫤 xx
FREESONE! I learned a new word today! I'm nearly giddy as a result. :laughing7:

Sometimes any fresh/exposed earth.
A digging project. Soil being imported or exported.
I have not answered a free dirt add in the advertisements metal detector in hand...But have encountered fresh diggings and detected them.
Some can wait *ideal for your stituation) , others are brief opportunities.
Himself may encounter a land clearing site. Or even single giant tree event. Some standing atop history. Afterall , what better way to look for saw damaging metal hidden under a trees bark? And since I have the detector , would you object during my lunch if I swung about the tree base a bit?

True story.
Two gents were hunting the old feed mill that had been closed awhile.
I drove up near and demanded the nearest surrender any found silver due to his trespassing. He laughed and we B.S.'d a bit.
I mentioned the fresh dirt piles in a park being worked near and he said he'd seen that too. (I'd successfully worked piles there prior.)
Here's the thing , no one I know of detected those fresh piles.
Any detecting where they were removed from should hit stuff still. Stuff brought up from beyond most detectors range.

So where's the disturbed ground you two can hunt when it dries a bit?
headlands , bald , fallow , swimming pool going in or coming out on an estate.... Be permissioned and hit it!
Just watch out for snakes.
L.o.l.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The world has invented wellies, rain proof ware, rain proof detectors, but they've missed rain proof detectorists it seems.

I will state for the record today.
Himself should hold a big umbrella over your head to insure that you don't get wet while your out detecting.

Better yet just get Himself to put a big set of caster wheels on one of these.
Then it gives you more space to swing before he pushes it around.
He can stap the lunch table and chairs to the backpack containing the lunch set up also.

You have a good man there blossom.

Screenshot_20240328_110544_Google.jpg

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
The world has invented wellies, rain proof ware, rain proof detectors, but they've missed rain proof detectorists it seems.

I will state for the record today.
Himself should hold a big umbrella over your head to insure that you don't get wet while your out detecting.

Better yet just get Himself to put a big set of caster wheels on one of these.
Then it gives you more space to swing before he pushes it around.
He can stap the lunch table and chairs to the backpack containing the lunch set up also.

You have a good man there blossom.

View attachment 2139822
all the above excellent ideas and Screen shotted and sent to himself 😆 xx

I no we should just crack on what ever the weather, and do suffer pangs of guilt when I don’t produce for you all. But even with wet weather gear, it’s retrieving the finds from the wet sticky mud that pains me. I Would love to do the river when it’s wet… as you gonna get wet so makes sense… but himself seems worried about drowning 🤔… tsk tsk 🤷‍♀️ xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
FREESONE! I learned a new word today! I'm nearly giddy as a result. :laughing7:

Sometimes any fresh/exposed earth.
A digging project. Soil being imported or exported.
I have not answered a free dirt add in the advertisements metal detector in hand...But have encountered fresh diggings and detected them.
Some can wait *ideal for your stituation) , others are brief opportunities.
Himself may encounter a land clearing site. Or even single giant tree event. Some standing atop history. Afterall , what better way to look for saw damaging metal hidden under a trees bark? And since I have the detector , would you object during my lunch if I swung about the tree base a bit?

True story.
Two gents were hunting the old feed mill that had been closed awhile.
I drove up near and demanded the nearest surrender any found silver due to his trespassing. He laughed and we B.S.'d a bit.
I mentioned the fresh dirt piles in a park being worked near and he said he'd seen that too. (I'd successfully worked piles there prior.)
Here's the thing , no one I know of detected those fresh piles.
Any detecting where they were removed from should hit stuff still. Stuff brought up from beyond most detectors range.

So where's the disturbed ground you two can hunt when it dries a bit?
headlands , bald , fallow , swimming pool going in or coming out on an estate.... Be permissioned and hit it!
Just watch out for snakes.
L.o.l.
Ha ha…every day is a school day RC, I do enjoy a rarely used word now and again 😆 xx

if All else fails we will spend 2 days tidying the garden, and 2 days detecting in the garden it’s one way to dig the flower beds 😆 xx

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha ha…every day is a school day RC, I do enjoy a rarely used word now and again 😆 xx

if All else fails we will spend 2 days tidying the garden, and 2 days detecting in the garden it’s one way to dig the flower beds 😆 xx
I have several trees on the ground. One more big one (well big for me to try to flee it's falling...)
One large maple stump . Either I remove it or keep paying a construction crew to prep the ground by thier wrestling it....

I am getting closer to an outbuilding to hide in on rainy days though.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Burgler enters vacant (?) summer home only to meet it's ...Ghosts.

[Creeping up the blind side
Shinning up the wall
Stealing through the dark of night
Climbing through a window
Stepping to the floor
Checking to the left and the right
Picking up the pieces
Putting them away
Something doesn't feel quite right

Help me someone, let me out of here
Then out of the dark was suddenly heard
Welcome to the home by the sea

Coming out of the woodwork
Through the open door
Pushing from above and below
Shadows but no substance
In the shape of men
Round and down and sideways they go
Adrift without direction
Eyes that hold despair
Then as one they sign and they moan

Help us someone, let us out of here
Living here so long, undisturbed
Dreaming of the time we were free
So many years ago
Before the time when we first heard

Sit down, sit down, sit down
Sit, down, sit down
As we relive our lives
In what we tell you

Images of sorrow, pictures of delight
Things that go to make up a life
Endless days of summer
Longer nights of gloom
Waiting for the morning light
Scenes of unimportance
Photos in a frame
Things that go to make up a life

Help us someone, let us out of here
'Cause living here so long undisturbed
Dreaming of the time we were free
So many years ago
Before the time when we first heard

Let us relive our lives
In what we tell you

Sit down, sit down, sit down
'Cause you won't get away
No, with us you will stay
For the rest of your days, sit down
As we relive our lives
In what we tell you
Let us relive our lives
In what we tell you]

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have several trees on the ground. One more big one (well big for me to try to flee it's falling...)
One large maple stump . Either I remove it or keep paying a construction crew to prep the ground by thier wrestling it....

I am getting closer to an outbuilding to hide in on rainy days though.
I was told just last fall this bit of useful information.
Got a stump 🌶 just 🫗 Borax on the top of the stump.
Rots right fast, just a few years.
Does it speed it up to drill holes in it first?

:dontknow:Was the reply.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was told just last fall this bit of useful information.
Got a stump 🌶 just 🫗 Borax on the top of the stump.
Rots right fast, just a few years.
Does it speed it up to drill holes in it first?

:dontknow:Was the reply.
I have about 40 days from when I cut that tree.
Nitrate is the common ingredient in stump remover. Or was.
I won't state another use for nitrate that may have reduced stump removal compounds containing nitrate.
But your chicken yard earth will produce it when coaxed out of the soil too. Kinda like brewing coffee from grounds. Then removing the water.

So salt hurts stumps. By eventually getting into the roots and making them weak.
Boring holes will speed the process up. Holding the salt and getting it nearer roots faster. How much faster I'm not sure . Once dry the wood /roots break easier.
I bumped one that had aged enough with a borrowed box scraper by accident that popped completely loose. (Over a dozen or more years since cut.)

Just cutting the surface into a crude grid and keeping moist dirt or compost on it will help too.

IF I get the proposed polebarns footprint cleared before the contractors start prepping for concrete (there should be enough time) Then I'll start on that biggest stump.
It's just inches off the floors footprint.
Right where any concrete apron would begin in the front.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread