THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yesterday I got a call regarding the dump truck.
"No time", lights, signals, dump works.
Going tow it over

By 5pm I knew that wasn't going to happen.
They need to move it by tomorrow as the closing is happening soon.

Good news I got the dump truck for 1/2 price.
Bad news I have to get it going-(time to play mechanic worth $1250?)
Ford ignition has a mechanical shaft on the backside that controls the wiring box?

It sounds like all french to this pirate also :icon_scratch:
All I know it's a 1997-450 ford
Never to be road worthy that's for sure.

Rain has stopped now so maybe this will happen today.
Skid steer is going to happen before the end of tomorrow :hello2:

Kind of like getting kid excited getting a new toy.

Black flies are out in full force-not liking those nipping little creatures.

Being we have animals Black flies are an issue. I’ve tried sprays, traps, stinky shit all kinds of stuff.

These wide sheets are the cats meow! Rip off a Chuck and tape it to the wall. I guess the printed flys on it attract others? Idk. I’ve had the stuff catch hundreds in a matter of hours. Works great.

Attachments

• 4247E89B-5E8A-405F-B269-335974813BF5.jpeg
    4247E89B-5E8A-405F-B269-335974813BF5.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 9

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Being we have animals Black flies are an issue. I’ve tried sprays, traps, stinky shit all kinds of stuff.

These wide sheets are the cats meow! Rip off a Chuck and tape it to the wall. I guess the printed flys on it attract others? Idk. I’ve had the stuff catch hundreds in a matter of hours. Works great.
But they only got a 1.5 star rating.
Query: Do you own shares in the sticky fly paper corporation?

Wonder how it works for deer flies?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good morning! Yes, the deer flies will be along around June 1st. They are the worst. Pepper, have you tried these? They work well around here. We have deer flies but not thousands of them. I can get quite a collection on my hat with them. Worth a try I think.
IMG_4845.jpeg

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning! Yes, the deer flies will be along around June 1st. They are the worst. Pepper, have you tried these? They work well around here. We have deer flies but not thousands of them. I can get quite a collection on my hat with them. Worth a try I think. View attachment 2145374
DEER FLIES MY EYES CRIED ! ! !

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But they only got a 1.5 star rating.
Query: Do you own shares in the sticky fly paper corporation?

Busted!! I own the company.

I noticed that also. I’m sure people hung the roller thing and got pissed when the wind wrapped it around its self. People do like to complain.

I don’t think I’ve ever caught a deer / horse fly. I use badminton Rackets for those little demons.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i was younger some buddies and i were on a canoe adventure down the Chasawiska River...
Met some hottie girls...
Went to a swim hole with them... everything was fine and things moving in the right direction.
THEN...
The deer flies found us.

Needless to say.... our plans of "hooking up" were thwarted.

I still hold a grudge.... BUT...
in a way it could have been a blessing in disguise.... saved me from early fatherhood...
So....
Its a love hate relationship. :P

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Busted!! I own the company.

I noticed that also. I’m sure people hung the roller thing and got pissed when the wind wrapped it around its self. People do like to complain.

I don’t think I’ve ever caught a deer / horse fly. I use badminton Rackets for those little demons.
I listened to a program on online reviews.

Quite interesting as the folks that had gotten paid to write reviews were being interviewed.
Never trust Yelp nor any 5 star reviews basically. The old adage of sounds too good to be true comes into play.

There was this person that ran the agency that took down fake reviews. She stated the best reviews (honest) are the ones that have a real mixed bag of reviews. The good and the bad are probably the most truthful.

One of the biggest things are companies reviewing other companies (I scratch your back you scratch mine)
Also the competition giving bad reviews to boost their own product.

Personal/word of mouth is probably the best go to type review.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Deerflies on the mud flats or exposed riverbanks when fishing. Just waiting for me,.
Hat with bug dope works . Cigars used to help but getting bit might be healthier.
I didn't try duck tape on hat. Claims are it works. Like the add earlier the back of top of head area as deerflies like to land there. Avoiding the eyes of thier prey? Or just tracking heat auras?

Black flies , the "real" ones are another matter and torment. Fine mesh coverings are a start .

Fly bite fever is mentioned sometimes. Not a disease but a result of getting mauled. Claimsof lessbitesafter.
I suspect blood type factors. And scent/vapor exhaust from breathing and skin certainly does.
Saunas can help but diet has to be considered too.
Lucky for me my area a couple weeks is the worst of it.
And last week some were around. I didn't get bit though. Not sure why.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread