THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to fish Goose Creek Bay in Wakulla County out of a canoe. Mosquitoes were not an issue but the no-see-ums were flat out brutal! I had a plastic(kevlar) canoe & I would just hook it to the bumper & drag it up the dirt road away from the water to get away from them before I would stop and put it on top my car.
Last year was a no-see-ams feeding fest on me.
First year they went after the backs of my hands.
Had 40 bites after a couple of days.
Not one anywhere else.
Oh the list of what bites is long.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me and a friend went to an archaeological dig near Russelville KY. It was hot and there were six of us working under a shade tarp. The bugs that were attacking us were called “buffalo gnats” by the locals. They were small black flies and indeed had a hump on their back like a buff. We all got some bites but the majority of the bugs went after my friend. Bug spray didn’t seem to help. Eventually he was so tormented and bit up he wanted to leave early. We set out for the 5 hr drive home and he didn’t make it 30min. He saw a motel and begged me to stop and get a room so he could take a shower. After a couple of showers and some Benadryl gel from a local store he finally calmed down. It’s said the meek will inherit the earth. They probably meant bugs!

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i was younger some buddies and i were on a canoe adventure down the Chasawiska River...
Met some hottie girls...
Went to a swim hole with them... everything was fine and things moving in the right direction.
THEN...
The deer flies found us.

Needless to say.... our plans of "hooking up" were thwarted.

I still hold a grudge.... BUT...
in a way it could have been a blessing in disguise.... saved me from early fatherhood...
So....
Its a love hate relationship. :P
Cock blocked by horse flies. First I’ve heard of such a thing. Reinforces my opinions of them being demons.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a horsefly trap online once.

Think a half plastic drum trimmed longways, four legs to hold it 30” or so off the ground. line the drum with black plastic draped over the sides. Fill the drum with soapy water. Two pieces off clear plastic (Lexan) cut the length of the barrel and about 14” wide/tall. Set 45degrees to the drum.

Basic premise is they see the black drum and assume it’s an animal. When they fly over said animal to buzz the top of it (as they do) the plexie knocks them into the water. The guys claimed it worked wonders.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a picture.

Attachments

• 2C15A223-38F0-47AA-AE22-9827018FEAB2.jpeg
    2C15A223-38F0-47AA-AE22-9827018FEAB2.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 8

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Morning all!
I listened to a program on online reviews.

Quite interesting as the folks that had gotten paid to write reviews were being interviewed.
Never trust Yelp nor any 5 star reviews basically. The old adage of sounds too good to be true comes into play.

There was this person that ran the agency that took down fake reviews. She stated the best reviews (honest) are the ones that have a real mixed bag of reviews. The good and the bad are probably the most truthful.

One of the biggest things are companies reviewing other companies (I scratch your back you scratch mine)
Also the competition giving bad reviews to boost their own product.

Personal/word of mouth is probably the best go to type review.
Yeah I listened not long ago on the radio about influencers and reviewers.
They said its rife everywhere influencers saying crap is good for money and anti influencers saying good is crap being payed by opposing companies.
Internet is a minefield of liars, charlatans and get rich quickers who sell their own granma for money and 5 minutes of fame.
Rant over....😁

Good morning or evening depending on where you all are.👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions