The real history that you were never taught in school Part 2....Christopher Columbus

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The real history that you were never taught in school Part 2....Christopher Columbus
Hero or murderous genocidal maniac

There are quite a few myths and legends about Christopher Columbus and his voyage to the Americas.But,unfortunately the only thing that school history text books seem to get right is the date 1492.The information that I'm to share with you today comes from Christopher Columbus himself,his ships log,his journels,his letters to Queen Isabella of spain.

Myth 1.....Columbus sailed to prove the earth was not flat and to find a route to India for spices.
Truth....Columbus sailed for two things,slaves and gold.Most people already knew the earth wasnt flat.Sailors see this roundness as ship sails over the horizon,first the hull disappears then the masts.The earth casts a round shadow on the moon.

Myth 2.... The Nina,Pinta and Santa maria were storm battered hulks.
Truth....This myth couldnt be further from the truth.Columbus's own journal reveals that the three ships enjoyed lovely sailing and that the sailors could converse for days at a time ship to ship.The only time they encountered high seas was when they knew they were near land.

Myth 3...The crews were near mutiny and the ships were inefficient to the task.
Truth.....The crews were only getting on each others nerves which happens now a days.Gripping isnt any where near mutiny.They did not threaten to go home or toss Columbus overboard.Text books claim that the three ships were tiny and inefficient.Naval author Pietro Baozzi points out that the three vessels were fully suited for Columbus's purpose.

There are many myths that i could point out and disprove but i think that you are beginning to get the picture.Columbus's first act upon going ashore was to take possession of the land he arrived at for the king and queen,his soveriegns.Many text books tell of Columbus's three later voyages to the Americas,but they do not find the space to tell us how he treated the lands and the people.Thats why I am here today.To tell you the truth.

Columbus's first impression of the Arawaks who inhabited most of the islands of the Carribbean was quite favorable.He wrote in his journal,"great multitudes of men came to the shore,all young and in fine shape and very handsome.Their hair was not curly but loose and coarse like horse hair.All have foreheads broader than i have seen,their eyes large and beautiful.they are not black,but the color of the inhabitants of the canarie islands".This reference to the canaries was ominous,for spain was then in the process of exterminating the aboriginal people of those islands.Finally Columbus got down to business,he states,"I was very attentive to them and strove to learn if they had any gold".Seeing some with bits of metal hanging from their nose.By sign language Columbus gathered by that by traveling southward there would be found a king with great cups of gold.At dawn Columbus sailed to the other side of the island,probably one of the Bahamas and saw two or three villages.He ended his description of them with the menacing words"I could conquer the whole of them with fifty men and govern them as i please"

On his first voyage,Columbus kidnapped 25 Indians and took them back to spain.Only eight of the Indians arrived alive,but along with gold trinkets,parrots and other exotica,they caused quite a stir in Seville.Ferdinand and Isabella then provided Columbus with seventeen ships,1500 men,cannon,crossbow,guns,cavalry and attack dogs for a second voyage.When columbus arrived back in Haiti in 1493.Their first demands were,food,gold,spun cotton,whatever the Indians had that they wanted including their women.To insure Indian cooperation Columbus used punishment by example.When an indian committed even a minor offense the spanish cut off his ears or nose.Disfigured the Indian was sent back to his village as proof to how brutal the spanish could be.

After a while the Indians had had enough.At first their resistance was passive,they refused to plant food for the Spanish.They abandoned towns near the Spanish settlements.Finally the Arawaks fought back,the attempts at resistance gave Columbus the excuse,to wage war.

On March 24 1495 Columbus set out to conquer the Arawaks.The Sticks and stones of the Arawaks against the crossbow,cannon,lances,swords,and in addition to horses,hunting dogs.Naturally the Spanish won,killing many Indians and capturing others who were also put to death.Having found no fields of gold Columbus had to return some kind of dividend to Spain.On Haiti the Spanish initiated a great slave raid.They rounded up 1500 Arawaks then selected 500of the best specimens of whom 200 would die en route to Spain.Columbus was excited he states"from here we can send back all the slaves and brazilwood that can be sold" he wrote to Isabella.As for slaves Columbus states"although they die now,they will not always die.The Negroes and the Canary islanders died at first.

Next became a reign of terror in Haiti.The Spaniards Hunted the Arawak for sport and murdered them to use as dog food for the hunting dogs.A tribute system was set up.Every Arawak over the age of 14 had to pay a hawks bell of gold dust,all others were to pay 25 pounds of cotton every three months.When an Arawak delivered his payment he was given a tag to wear around the neck as proof of payment.Those caught without such a tag punishment was swift,their hands were cut off.Arawak women were given to Columbus's men to do with as they pleased.Most of the women choose suicide instead.Many women made pregnant by the spanish choose abortion,others after delivery killed their children with their own hands so as not to have them oppressed by a life of slavery.Forced to work for the Spaniards,the Arawak had little time to care for their own families resulting in mass malnutrition and starvation.Some tried fleeing to cuba but were followed there by the Spaniards.
Estimates of Haitis precolumbian population range as high as 8 million people.when Columbus returned to spain He left his brother Bartholomew in charge.Bartholomew took a census in 1496 and came up with the total of 1.1million.The spanish did not count children and the Arawaks that escaped.Kickpatrick Sale estimates that a more accurate estimate would be 3 million.By 1516 according to Benjamin Keen,thanks to the sinister slave trade and labor policies initiated by Columbus only some 12 thousand Arawaks remained.Las Casas tells us that fewer than 200 Arawaks were alive in 1542,by 1555 they were all gone.

I could of written many more pages but that would just take too much time so

YOU BE THE JUDGE

Last edited:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and what if all you state is true? then...what?

what if all you 'think you researched' is false? do you believe it all? cause you weren't there? :)

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Its called the truth.Shouldnt the truth be told?Or is it better to live a life of lies,since when is telling the truth wrong?The research isnt false because 90% came from Columbus himself.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just surprised they could count to one million :laughing7:

I'm also proud to say that I wrote 10% of it :headbang:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!

yea according to HOW MANY experts on the subject. HAHA

ok you believe it to be true. NOW what?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the next step is to become the next Thomas Paine :dontknow: :laughing7:

Or.. Better yet.. The Next Felix Fossidittle.. Now that was a man ahead of his time :hello2:

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story bro!
Looks like evolution wins, against revolution.
and I like the part where the natives were hunted for dog food...

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Farmerchick,the truth is only worth something if you have the intelligence to listen to it.If you prefer to listen and to have the children taught lies,thats your prerogative and the parents prerogative.Go nuts.I could careless.If you came to this thread to cause problems heres two simple words get out.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. And a social studies book and better yet a social studies teacher would be able to cover this in detail How? Your first myth is wrong. Columbus sailed for two reasons. First , he wanted to establish himself as a powerful man and becoming a successful explorer would do the trick. Secondly, and probably the most important, he sailed for profit. His goal was to find a quicker and better route to the far east, where he hoped to be able to hold a trading monopoly on the importation of any goods(spices, jewels, porcelains) that had for centuries been shipped overland through the old spice routes to Byzantion-Byzantium,(then Constantinople), (Istanbul today). Many people by his time understood that the world was not flat, they just were unsure of how big it was. As for the deaths of the native americans, disease played a much greater role even in his time than did his conquest and extermination of the people. I need to stop here. You strike me as a very frustrated person, who is intelligent, but tries to bully people with his knowledge. I somehow feel that maybe you never finished college and have never gotten over that. I don't mean to insult you, but I have been watching you tell people to get out if they didn't like it. As I sit here gazing at my undergraduate and graduate degrees on my wall I remember now that I have seen many people like you come and go. Thankfully, they didn't last long in education. Again, I am sorry if I insulted you. Might I suggest one of the online schools to pursue your interests...

K

Kentucky Kache

To understand why Columbus did those things, you have to look at what/who controlled Columbus. Ferdinand and Isabella, yes, but now look at what/who controlled them. There you see the root of the problem.
The history of this is staggering.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Personally, I love folks who take whatever is popular in history as being the truth.

I remember that when I was in grammar school, some preached that blacks were descended from Canaan because he was cursed by Noah. (Genesis 9:24)

This belief was even taught by many religious leaders to justify slavery. It was a lie, but no one challenged it during slavery or even during the Jim Crow days.

Maybe no one ever heard of the Land of Canaan. It's in the Bible, and the residents were not black. In fact, it was the land that eventually became Israel (Genesis 12:7). The people who were there previous were the Canaanites. Today, we refer to them as Palestinians or Arabs.

Lots of "intelligent people" fell for that lie back during slavery. Some even believed that by keeping blacks as slaves that they were fulfilling some sort of "destiny" or performing a "service" for GOD Almighty.

See how easy it is to get things twisted around by believing popular history?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Red James cash said:
Hero or murderous genocidal maniac

There are quite a few myths and legends about Christopher Columbus and his voyage to the Americas.But,unfortunately the only thing that school history text books seem to get right is the date 1492.The information that I'm to share with you today comes from Christopher Columbus himself,his ships log,his journels,his letters to Queen Isabella of spain.

Myth 1.....Columbus sailed to prove the earth was not flat and to find a route to India for spices.
Truth....Columbus sailed for two things,slaves and gold.Most people already knew the earth wasnt flat.Sailors see this roundness as ship sails over the horizon,first the hull disappears then the masts.The earth casts a round shadow on the moon.

Myth 2.... The Nina,Pinta and Santa maria were storm battered hulks.
Truth....This myth couldnt be further from the truth.Columbus's own journal reveals that the three ships enjoyed lovely sailing and that the sailors could converse for days at a time ship to ship.The only time they encountered high seas was when they knew they were near land.

Myth 3...The crews were near mutiny and the ships were inefficient to the task.
Truth.....The crews were only getting on each others nerves which happens now a days.Gripping isnt any where near mutiny.They did not threaten to go home or toss Columbus overboard.Text books claim that the three ships were tiny and inefficient.Naval author Pietro Baozzi points out that the three vessels were fully suited for Columbus's purpose.

There are many myths that i could point out and disprove but i think that you are beginning to get the picture.Columbus's first act upon going ashore was to take possession of the land he arrived at for the king and queen,his soveriegns.Many text books tell of Columbus's three later voyages to the Americas,but they do not find the space to tell us how he treated the lands and the people.Thats why I am here today.To tell you the truth.

Columbus's first impression of the Arawaks who inhabited most of the islands of the Carribbean was quite favorable.He wrote in his journal,"great multitudes of men came to the shore,all young and in fine shape and very handsome.Their hair was not curly but loose and coarse like horse hair.All have foreheads broader than i have seen,their eyes large and beautiful.they are not black,but the color of the inhabitants of the canarie islands".This reference to the canaries was ominous,for spain was then in the process of exterminating the aboriginal people of those islands.Finally Columbus got down to business,he states,"I was very attentive to them and strove to learn if they had any gold".Seeing some with bits of metal hanging from their nose.By sign language Columbus gathered by that by traveling southward there would be found a king with great cups of gold.At dawn Columbus sailed to the other side of the island,probably one of the Bahamas and saw two or three villages.He ended his description of them with the menacing words"I could conquer the whole of them with fifty men and govern them as i please"

On his first voyage,Columbus kidnapped 25 Indians and took them back to spain.Only eight of the Indians arrived alive,but along with gold trinkets,parrots and other exotica,they caused quite a stir in Seville.Ferdinand and Isabella then provided Columbus with seventeen ships,1500 men,cannon,crossbow,guns,cavalry and attack dogs for a second voyage.When columbus arrived back in Haiti in 1493.Their first demands were,food,gold,spun cotton,whatever the Indians had that they wanted including their women.To insure Indian cooperation Columbus used punishment by example.When an indian committed even a minor offense the spanish cut off his ears or nose.Disfigured the Indian was sent back to his village as proof to how brutal the spanish could be.

After a while the Indians had had enough.At first their resistance was passive,they refused to plant food for the Spanish.They abandoned towns near the Spanish settlements.Finally the Arawaks fought back,the attempts at resistance gave Columbus the excuse,to wage war.

On March 24 1495 Columbus set out to conquer the Arawaks.The Sticks and stones of the Arawaks against the crossbow,cannon,lances,swords,and in addition to horses,hunting dogs.Naturally the Spanish won,killing many Indians and capturing others who were also put to death.Having found no fields of gold Columbus had to return some kind of dividend to Spain.On Haiti the Spanish initiated a great slave raid.They rounded up 1500 Arawaks then selected 500of the best specimens of whom 200 would die en route to Spain.Columbus was excited he states"from here we can send back all the slaves and brazilwood that can be sold" he wrote to Isabella.As for slaves Columbus states"although they die now,they will not always die.The Negroes and the Canary islanders died at first.

Next became a reign of terror in Haiti.The Spaniards Hunted the Arawak for sport and murdered them to use as dog food for the hunting dogs.A tribute system was set up.Every Arawak over the age of 14 had to pay a hawks bell of gold dust,all others were to pay 25 pounds of cotton every three months.When an Arawak delivered his payment he was given a tag to wear around the neck as proof of payment.Those caught without such a tag punishment was swift,their hands were cut off.Arawak women were given to Columbus's men to do with as they pleased.Most of the women choose suicide instead.Many women made pregnant by the spanish choose abortion,others after delivery killed their children with their own hands so as not to have them oppressed by a life of slavery.Forced to work for the Spaniards,the Arawak had little time to care for their own families resulting in mass malnutrition and starvation.Some tried fleeing to cuba but were followed there by the Spaniards.
Estimates of Haitis precolumbian population range as high as 8 million people.when Columbus returned to spain He left his brother Bartholomew in charge.Bartholomew took a census in 1496 and came up with the total of 1.1million.The spanish did not count children and the Arawaks that escaped.Kickpatrick Sale estimates that a more accurate estimate would be 3 million.By 1516 according to Benjamin Keen,thanks to the sinister slave trade and labor policies initiated by Columbus only some 12 thousand Arawaks remained.Las Casas tells us that fewer than 200 Arawaks were alive in 1542,by 1555 they were all gone.

I could of written many more pages but that would just take too much time so

YOU BE THE JUDGE

Any other history that you care to rewrite?

K

Kentucky Kache

This is from Columbus' own writings, and he had no reason to lie about it, because what he did was what was expected of him. Therefore, to believe anything other than Columbus' own words would be a "rewrite."
Enjoy your cool-aid.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Kentucky Kache said:
This is from Columbus' own writings, and he had no reason to lie about it, because what he did was what was expected of him. Therefore, to believe anything other than Columbus' own words would be a "rewrite."
Enjoy your cool-aid.

Can you prove that

K

Kentucky Kache

Apparently so. Especially the cool aid part.

It's the cool aid. It make you miss things of truth.

The proof is in the history. All you have to do is look it up and read it.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Kentucky Kache said:
It's the cool aid. It make you miss things of truth.

The proof is in the history. All you have to do is look it up and read it.

It make you miss things of truth? ? ? LMAO. Well it's past five o'clock.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I am saying is there are 'many truths' to a billion history situations. Of course 4th and 5th graders (or whatever age you learn about Columbus etc) are not going to delve into the true politicial situations of the history.

History is vicious. Why would anyone think otherwise? We all know why mankind explores. To conquer and gain control/power/resources. That is not anything new.

no one from history that explored new lands was ever a saint, and slavery was common practice and obtaining pure power was king. everyone knows this.

I was taught from the normal school history books, but when you gain some age it doesn't take much to figure out that the history of all mankind is gruesome and vicious and power crazy.

I wouldn't expect anything less than vicious from the Columbus party for exploring. It is the way all thru history mostly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread