The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated...

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0273.JPG

This is carried over from BigScoop's nickel thread. I wanted to start my own thread as tribute to my insanity. Okay, I last concluded that for every 100pennies found one would fine 27 quarters, 31dimes, and 24 nickels. Since I refuse to count pennies, another way of stating this for every 100 dimes found one will find 87 quarters and 77 nickels.

I have only metal detected in salt water and dry sand. Since I started hunting I have found 113 quarters (stacks of five,) 123 dimes (stacks of ten,) and 75 nickels (stacks of five, with a dateless buff and 1940 set slightly to the side. So, for every 100dimes I have found 92 quarters and 61 nickels.

What can we conclude from this: I found five more quarters then I was supposed to and 16 less nickels.
1. Given the number of participants (N = total coins,): the difference between found quarters and found dimes is not statistically significant. Hence, we have failed to reject the null hypothesis and weight/density has no impact on how many dimes or quarters found.
2. The difference between nickels found and supposed to be found is statistically significant! Hence, we reject the null hypothesis and we can conclude that there is a correlation between weight/density and less nickels being found.
3. I used a PI machine so sound was not a factor.
4. I have a strong arm, lots of stamina, and dig deep. So all targets deep and shallow had an equal chance of being discovered if they made a murmur on the Sandshark.

Between the quarters and dimes from top to bottom I also found: 1 thin dime(token,) 2 two dollar Australian, 1 1944Belgium F, 1 50cent Bolivia, and 1 Lithuania cent.
To the right of the quarters from bottom to top: 1 Canada one cent, 1 five cent from Venezuela, 1 five cent euro from Italy, 2 Canada dimes, 2 ten cents from the Grand Caymans, 3 five cent from the Grand Caymans, 10 one cent from the Grand Caymans, and 1 Titlist marker, and 1 1944 what penny.

1 obvious jar of pennies I refuse to count.

Okay, those are all the coins i have found in MDing career. Now that I have officially lost my mind I expect you all to come visit me in the Looney Bin.

Crispin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Count the dang cents, count em i say! See if you find one silver coin per each.... 348? ARGHHH! now i have to count them again.:BangHead:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A) A nickel has a conductivity similar to gold.
B) A nickel is the densest of the four modern US coins.

Basically what all of this this proves goes something like this; the common notion that "quarters are a good sign that you have found an area where heavier objects such as gold may have also settled" is somewhat flawed as nickels would be a much better measuring stick. Add to this that the ability to detect pennies, dimes, quarters at good depths in a saltwater environment has little value in determining your ability to also detect deeper gold if you're not also detecting nickels at good depths in this same saltwater environment. :thumbsup:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it all proves that some of the old timers understood the value/focus of being able to read nickels at good depths, regardless where they were hunting. :thumbsup:

Old timers??? Why I'll have you know I
figured out nickels were good to find gold while you were still in diapers! Old timers you say? You young whippersnappers need to learn to mind your manners. Otherwise, I'll hit ya with this here cane! By cracky.
View attachment 829232

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 1967 nickel in a condom wrapper once. I don't know how that actually works into the equations presented, but I thought it was relatable.. :occasion14:

I hope it was ummm new

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowledge is Power & Chum Change

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions