...the rest of the Indun Artifact story.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...the rest of the 'Indun Artifact' story.

Right you are gentlemen, just a rock. I was out yesterday campin and this rock caught my eye. I immediately thought of a certain guy at work I owe one to and thought this would be a good joke. There is no documention I can find of this particular spot bein a prehistoric site. Lots of historic mining, road building, modern day recreation, no N-D-N camps though. It's too high up, and actually no reason to be there unless you got lost. So I'm walkin around just laughin out loud about the joke I'm gonna pull, and I spot some red and yellow jasper material. Low grade, but it has been shattered and that rock doesn't occur there naturally, so I know it's been imported in. (Always look for rocks that don't belong) So I conducted a surface investigation. Noticed a few jasper flakes. Spotted the broken bottom part of what was probably a knife. (haven't ID'd the material yet), then a point with the tip broken off from impact with something. Thought it was a dart point but it's pretty thin so probably arrowhead. More to the site that I won't post, and nothin that will re-write history, but it does have some interest for being at that altitude. If I can ever figure out the appropriate agency in charge of that sort of thing here in Colorado (not the Feds) I'd like to report it to them.

Attachments

• 7-20d.jpg
    7-20d.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 80
  • 7-20e.jpg
    7-20e.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 82
  • 7-20h.jpg
    7-20h.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is a connection to high altitude camps....seems the Rockies had their share of them.

13 Ancient Villages Discovered in Wyoming Mountains May Redraw Map of Tribal Migrations | Western Digs

Well done RGINN, and a beautinful point at that. :icon_thumright:
I am not sure whom these scientists are, but I am quite certain local scientists have known about these high altitude sites. I have even encountered possible sites myself above the 9000 feet in altitude. I have seen the evidence of fire-pits, and flaked material. I talked to a rancher about a week ago, and he told me that while checking on his cattle he found a grooved hammer above 9500 feet in altitude. These past peoples in their small clans traveled with the game as they migrated to the higher altitudes to feed on the new grasses, and also to rid themselves of the biting flies.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure is a pretty point,thanks for sharing

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The highest known site of continuous occupation in NA is over at Vail Pass at 10,000, od. This has been documented to date back to about 7,000 years ago. The place I was at is pretty close to that in elevation, but based upon what I observed on the surface, it was just a temporary hunting camp with no village or long term occupation. Just a place where they stopped for a night or two, whipped out some points, got some rest, updated their Facebook pages, etc. That broken point is interesting though. Maybe they just lost it, but it was used and broken, and they would have kept that and reworked it. So it's unusual to find it in a camp site where a lot of people were sitting around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread