THE RIGHT PRICE FOR THE RIGHT DETECTOR

I agree with your info badger (Americans think target separation). This is exactly why I would suggest to those who want to relic hunt exclusively, not to spend high-$$ on a popular machine that is good at "cherry picking" when a $600 VLF will exceed at sensitivity and depth but more importantly not disc. out a wide variety of "junk". These expensive machines are perfect for coin hunting when you have only a few hours and need to find a few goodies however, when one is ready to spend a day in a worked out park (a park that has been cherry picked) and dig all the "iffy" signals with a $600 VLF, you will find more coins and interesting collectables than you can shake a stick at.
These popular expensive detectors are advertised as what the professionals use. Well, I am definitely a pro and I will never in a million years buy a $1500 machine. I also would never use a $100 machine either.
The best all purpose, powerhouse, professional metal detectors that you will never grow out of retail around $600 to $800. These machines however, require one to learn how to listen to signals rather than look at a digital screen.
I'm sure I will probably offend a few who own $1500 machines, but given the fact that I have been a hardcore detectorist for over 20 years and have owned a variety of detectors, gives me the right to express this.
If you are someone who has limited time and has a few unworked sites, then go for the high-$$ detectors.
If you are someone who likes to leave no stone unturned and has time to really "work it", then try out a mid-$$ detector.
If you are just starting out, don't waste your money on a cheap detector, as you will find that a mid-$$ MD is just as easy to operate except you will not out-grow it's performance.
It's all like the story of the three bears. A bowl of porridge was either too hot or too cold. The one that was "just right" was the bowl that was in the middle.
Talking about what machine to use can be a very touchy subject, so if no one responds and a few hate me, I'll understand. I hope this helps someone though.
Dave.

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hi Dave
Over the years we see the exact same questions from the new guys about "What detector should I buy" and usually the same responses. Usually he gets a flurry of "Ace 250" answers which everbody agrees is a great intro detector. There may be a few that advise that instead of the Ace 250 get an intermediate level detector. The "24 dollar question" which I cringe to hear is when the new guys asks "OK what about the next level after an Ace 250- What should I get". Should he go high end Explorer 11, CZ, DFX or should he go for an intermediate priced Tesoro? How about the new Terra X-70?

Hey go to any brand name forum site for any brand spanking new detector and hear the testimonials about all those coins and relics recovered in "Hunted out sites". Absolute proof this here brand new expensive detector is superior to that "old" "obsolete" detector you are using. Just once I would like to see someone post that he found nothing in a "hunted out" site with his new detector because it was "hunted out". Of course 6 months from now it will just be another detector.

What's the bottom line? The Explorer users swear by their machines, so do the CZ users, Tesoro users and the list goes on and on. I guess the bottom line is that American companies(also Minelab) just don't make bad machines. If you are not a detector addict(own many detectors) just choose one that you like using not someone else's favorite. Just get out there and learn your machine and put it over some goodies and above all "Have fun".

George

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
muddyhandz, your post done got me all tweaked up.....but in a good way, I think.

I'm one of those who got an Ace 250 right from the gitgo. Used it a bunch, relied on the tones and readout for target id and depth, found about $50 so far with it, dug most of my finds from less than 4" deep and have had a ball.

Then, the gold bug bit me (like that's never happened to anyone else, right?? ;D ) Anywho, I ended up with a great deal on a Minelab Eureka Gold VLF detector back in mid February. I've been studying up on how to find gold, where to find gold, how it got there, etc and have been out with the Minelab trying for gold a few times, unsuccessfully so far. But, it's a detector that is "midline" price-wise and an extremely sensitive one, compared to my Ace 250.

I tried coin shooting/jewelry hunting with the Eureka and came to the conclusion that it was just way too sensitive, even with the iron discrimination turned to the max. I even tried to learn how to discriminate between good and bad targets with the Eureka in one hand and the Ace in the other hand, using them both to search (should have gotten a pic of that! rofl)! I just couldn't learn what a "good" target sounded like and since the Eureka doesn't have any readout, no idea about depth or anything handy like that. It just "laughed" all over the place. I did get some good experience pinpointing with the Eureka, however.

Now along comes your post.... "however, when one is ready to spend a day in a worked out park (a park that has been cherry picked) and dig all the "iffy" signals with a $600 VLF, you will find more coins and interesting collectables than you can shake a stick at."

Sometimes, truth just comes up and smacks ya right between the eyes!! My version of the truth that I realized today is that my Eureka is NOT too sensitive, but rather that I've been LAZY!! My Ace has spoiled me what with its readouts and different tones and target id and all that stuff! I bet that when (note, I am saying "WHEN", and not "IF") I go back and search all the places I've searched with the Ace, starting with my back and front yards, that I'm gonna find more targets than I ever dreamed of!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

HH, ya'll!
Kajun

P.S.
I ain't giving up the hunt for gold, either!!

OP
OP
D
A metal detector is an extension of ourselves. (those who use one)
Who we are as individuals, determines the outcome of our endeavors.
I have met many people who have or still own a metal detector. The percentage of those who are what I call "closet detectorists" are many. They bought a high end machine, and couldn't figure it out, or only found a penny and a few nails, then put it away in the closet and never touched it again. Then there are those "part-timers." Whatever machine they use, it's only for what time permits, and they are looking for a few trophies to put in their goodie bags. Some of them are the ones who like to "cherry pick" because of limited time or ambition.
These people vary in what interests them (coins, minerals, jewelry, relics) and sometimes only stick to one.
I think that you will find that most water hunters looking for precious metal jewelry, will tell you to dig everything so not to miss fine gold chains or thin rings. Can you imagine if you applied this rule to the ground like an archaeologist would? Think of thousands of variable metal targets that aren't on that meter or screen or is mixed with junk.
What are we missing? Can technology truly tell us what's fully in the ground? No one here can tell us what every metal object is that they pass over. No one. Neither can any metal detector. There are no quick fixes to this.
Then there are the "hardcore detectorists." The ones who make more time. They are here to dig and they don't pass up many "iffy" signals because their experience tells them of all those times they found nice keepers from those bad or iffy signals. They remember the times when a bad signal turned out to be a bottlecap with an old coin beneath it. They remember how a brass cap badge or gold ring gave the same reading as tinfoil or a pulltab.
Do you know how many times a gold chain read as tinfoil on the $1500 machines!
To save everyone the agony of a long post, I will state my point. HARD WORK!
Thanks for the responses. KAJUN, I used a couple of low end machines the first 5 years and found alot of good keepers at good sites. When I started to use the highly sensitive mid-$$ detectors, I was blown away at what remained in those good sites. Amazing how many coins that are sitting in the ground "on edge" that only pick up with extreme sensitivity. It's a new day and age where most of the "easy signals" have been stripped away from our parks and beaches and we must look towards digging those tougher signals. With work and patience, you will learn what the Eureka is telling you when using it for coins, jewelry, etc. The comfort of knowing your first machine, is what leads you back it, but that will change for the better. The transition can be tough but is doable.
Let me know how it goes.
Bakergeol, I agree. There are many good machines out there. Even better if you know them well. The only way a site could be "hunted out" is if every signal was dug up!
I better go before people start cursing at me for how long this post is.
MAY EVERYONE ACHIEVE THE SUCCESS THEY ARE LOOKING FOR.
Dave.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although the ACE 250 was not my first detector, it was my "move up" detector. It cost less than my first detector that had all the bells and whistles! The features of the ACE 250 are not really a bottom of the line beginners detector! Only it's cost ranks it as such. I have had much better success with the ACE than my first detector. So, I would feel confident in saying that the ACE 250 is not the best detector out there. But if you are talking features and quality -vs- cost, it is. Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is nice to read a thread where people understand metal detecting. It's not in the most advanced detector but in the experience. I too feel I am doing a newbie a disservice when I don't go into detail about which detector is best for him or her. There are to many variablies involved. I know some "pros" that can't set the clock on the VCR nor work a DFX but do well with a low whistle machine. It's in the fun we have that is the hooker.

jackaldridge

Greenie
Jan 31, 2006
Northeastern Oklahoma
Interesting comments....
I would just say this...
I regularly hunt with a fellow who uses a Garret that is so old there are hardly any decals left to read on it...we hunt side by side (me with my DFX)...and I would be very hard pressed to say which one of us has more fun!
It ain't about what you find most of the time (Most of us probably will never make that BIG find....!)....
It's about the goin' and havin' fun!
Well...that's my 2 cents worth!! :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread