The Rings Just Keep Comin ; 14K & A Little Silver Too.......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Rings Just Keep Comin' ; 14K & A Little Silver Too.......

So I left work today with my heart set on hunting a certain spot but I needed to get some gas to get there. As I pulled into the station, there was a particular woman headed inside that I've been avoiding for the last two weeks. Luckily, she didn't see me. She's nice enough but has some crazy idea that she and I will soon be married (after ONE date). It's a long story I won't get into here but needless to say, I left.

Since I had almost NO gas I decided to hit another much closer spot in an area where an old house once stood. Now I'm really glad that she showed up and changed my plans.

After digging some clad, trash and at least 25 pull tabs and can slaw, I was just about out of daylight and decided to dig just one last hole. The target rang up at a solid 59 which led me to believe it was yet another pull tab or possibly a nickel. Much to my surprise and delight, out of the hole popped this little beauty.......

Silver & 14K day Sept. 28, 2015 001.JPG

It's 14K and ring # 46. It was about 4 inches down in an area where I did not expect to find it at all. There are no engravings or initials so I have no idea how I could find the owner. I'll have to think about it a bit. The only marks are "KMP" (inside a diamond shape) & 14K.

Now earlier today I bought a can of Pepsi from a machine. I put a dollar bill in and when I picked up the change from the slot, I got this.....

Silver & 14K day Sept. 28, 2015 002.JPG

.....a silver Washington. So this day started out good before I even started seriously hunting for treasure. Then again, I always check my quarters and dimes and once in a very great while a little silver shows up. It's amazing that a few of these coins are still circulating.

All in all, it's been a pretty good day treasure wise. It's been a little while since any gold appeared.
These are the days we live for right??

The moral of this story is; never stop digging "pull tabs" even when you're TOTALLY sick and tired of 'em. Sometimes they just happen to be gold in a clever disguise. Oh; and always check your change. You never know when a little silver may show up and brighten your day.

Silver & 14K day Sept. 28, 2015 003.JPG

That's about it.
Thanks for looking & HH........

Last edited:
Upvote 13
Congrats on the gold ring and the vending machine treasure. :occasion14:

I don't know, I might take a wedding band as a cosmic sign that you and she were meant to be together. Just kidding, she sounds seriously crazy.

I don't know, I might take a wedding band as a cosmic sign that you and she were meant to be together. Just kidding, she sounds seriously crazy.

You might say that.

No, she's nice but just came on WAY too strong from the get go. It's flattering but a tad creepy as well.
She definitely scared me off in a hurry.

Funny thing; I actually met her while metal detecting. She approached me and gave me the 20 questions routine. Next thing I know we were swapping phone numbers. It seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

Last edited:
She's nice enough but has some crazy idea that she and I will soon be married (after ONE date). It's a long story I won't get into here but needless to say, I left.

out of the hole popped this little beauty.......

View attachment 1216781

It's a 14K band and ring # 46. I found it about 4 inches down in an area where I did not expect to find it at all. There are no engravings or initials so I have no idea how I could find the owner. I'll have to think about it a bit. The only marks are "KMP" (inside a diamond shape) & 14K.

I say you got it all wrong! You're SUPPOSED to marry that woman! Heck, the stars, planets and even the Father of Our Country aligned to show you the way! There's no engraving on that ring because you're not supposed to RETURN it; you're supposed to USE it. Now go marry her before the cosmos extract karmic retribution for your eagerness to ignore all that the universe has laid before you!!:laughing9:

Nice detour by the way!

I say you got it all wrong! You're SUPPOSED to marry that woman! Heck, the stars, planets and even the Father of Our Country aligned to show you the way! There's no engraving on that ring because you're not supposed to RETURN it; you're supposed to USE it. Now go marry her before the cosmos extract karmic retribution for your eagerness to ignore all that the universe has laid before you!!:laughing9:

Nice detour by the way!

Now you're scaring me.

Technically, in a roundabout way she actually did bring me good luck today. The downside is, I was running AWAY from her when I struck gold.

There are many ways you can look at these things......

Last edited:
Gz on the beautiful gold!!
Funny story!
TFS and HH

Nice ring!

I have dug about 200-300 pull tabs this year--not one ring.
I had a few slam hard when they wrap the beaver tail around the ring several times---UGgggghhhhh! Good grief!
But, you are right about digging them.

Nice ring!

I have dug about 200-300 pull tabs this year--not one ring.
I had a few slam hard when they wrap the beaver tail around the ring several times---UGgggghhhhh! Good grief!
But, you are right about digging them.

Well you usually have to dig a few hundred tabs for each piece of gold so that's normal.
Sounds like your gold should show up any time.

And yeah, those beaver tails. I also HATE the gold colored old pop tops. I can't tell you how many times I have mistaken one of those things for a gold ring.

But the bottom line is, if your digging pull tabs you're digging in the gold range. Same goes for foil even. I've never found gold in the foil range personally but I know that small gold can show up that way.

I also once dug a small, hollow 14K earring that was UNDER a pull tab. It's so thin that it barely registers on any of my detectors; just a slight low, broken grunt. Had I not dug that pull tab I would have definitely passed right over it.

*****Edit******

I mentioned above that I've never hit any gold in the foil range. That changed the day I came across this little beauty.....

Two Gold Rings Tow Junkers Gator Pin Dec 13 2015 002.JPG

.......my first gold that hit well down into the foil range.

It bounced around between 49 and 51. It's really small, was deep, bent, broken and on it's side.
So it just goes to show you, even digging foil can eventually lead to a little gold.

So never be afraid to keep digging any and all trash above the iron range 'cause you just never know what may be hiding in it.

Last edited:
I've been trying to pinpoint the makers mark on this ring and from what I can tell, it could be a vintage ring; meaning it's at least 50 years old.

I found a few rings from the same maker for sale online and they're all listed as vintage. There's a possibility that whoever lost it is no longer with us.

Last edited:
I love stories with morals. This is great. I'm totally inspired! Need to go dig some pulltabs. :)

HEY 24 THAT GOLD RING IS SURLEY A NICE SCORE .....

So I was able to track down that makers mark. You just gotta' love the internet.

"KMP" stands for Kemp Metal Products in NY.
The mark was registered in 1993 so I believe whoever is listing these rings as vintage may be telling a fib to boost sales.

OTOH, the company has been in the business of supplying metal to jewelers since 1945. My ring looks nothing like their current product line. They don't even sell plain bands anymore. At least, none are listed in their online catalogue. Almost all of the newer ones contain small stones. The ones I've seen on Ebay are definitely the newer styles.

So I still can't date this ring for certain. It could be a recent drop. Given the location, maybe not. Given the trademark, it could be 22 years old at the oldest. Then again, they may have used the TM before registering it. I may give 'em a call and ask. At the very oldest it could go back 1945. I did find it where an old house once stood.

I went on Craigslist and checked the lost and found ads but didn't see anything from the area where I found it. I imagine some woman was pretty upset at losing it. Then again; maybe not. People do throw wedding bands away. I did it myself and it felt great at the time. I definitely don't want it back if its ever found.

Last edited:
he says the rings just keep coming! not for me! great job!

That was a great read! Congratz on the gold!

he says the rings just keep coming! not for me! great job!

Keep digging and they will come. It's a numbers game.

If you want rings, hit sports fields; especially along the sidelines of soccer fields and near and around bleachers. Look wherever the grass is mashed down. Baseball fields are good too; along the baselines, around the pitchers mound and in the outfield. Basically anything can turn up anywhere; or not.

Beaches, swimming and fishing holes are great spots for ring hunting too.

People are always droppin' stuff and rings are frequently slipping off. Many are junk but once they start showing up a few real ones will come into the mix sooner or later.

Last edited:
May i ask you what sensitive did you use for the gold ring?

nice!!!! hey im up here in NH check out my free utube channel at NH beach metaldetecting and plese subscribe thanks!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back