The Road, Cormac McCarthy

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hello to the group,

I didn't really know where this post goes, though I've read some around here, somewhere in the past...

Anyhow, this books got a gold cache tie-in within it!

I just read Cormac McCarthy's The Road... GREAT BOOK

It is somewhat of a survivalist, man against the odds, end-of-days story.
NOT a nice book, but rather well written, and easy to read.

Certainly NOT like the last 600 page book I am reluctant to present a review on!

He does well developing characters, and the generally horrid scenario, even though he stealthily omits the details of the catastrophe... and that worked for me...

First I've read by him. I got his border trilogy today...

From what I heard subsequently, The Road is coming out near the end of this year on film with Viggo Mortensen and Charlize Theron as the wife (with a bigger part than in the book)... I'm sure she'll help sell tickets! ;D The kid has a hyphenated name I can't remember. Robert Duvall has a part.
So far the movie reviews, pre-release, have been good.

:thumbsup:
rmptr

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It was a good book. He is one of my favorite authors. Read "No Country for Old Men", and then see the movie.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I already saw NO Country... except for the unlikely use of the cow-gun, it was a great flic.

Wish I had NOT seen the movie first!

Now I'm stuck with visuals and script shortcuts they were able to produce cost-effectively...

Kinda diminishes the quality of a good book.

Looking for Blood Meridian, now..

piedmont

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
I have not read The Road yet. If you plan on reading a lot of his books you might want to start with the Prozac now. Cormac Mcarthy is a great writer but man is he dark. No Country for Old Men was about the most optimistic book of his I have read.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
;D

Pied, you are absolutely correct!

But 'The Road' has... Oops! I shouldn't say.

I watched No Country on DVD. Very powerful, but a few dumb things.

I'd just as soon read non-fiction, but slip once and a while.

Best
rmptr

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Piedmont is right!
Piedmont is right!

Ha! Ha!

I'm just not in the best frame of mind right now to get one of Cormac's dark works..

About ready for Mary Poppins!

rmptr

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read The Road several months ago.

As a father myself, I couldn't help but to empathize with the father and I always found myself agonizing over every decision that he made and questioning what I would do in a similar situation. Any author that can pull me in like that certainly has perfected their craft.

I'm almost afraid to go see the movie now because I don't want the book to loose any of it's impact, or to be let down.

Kimbrough

Jun 18, 2006
Signal Mountain, TN
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have read "The Road" and thought it was brilliantly written. Get a "happy place" in your head to go to after you put the book down. A friend of mine worked on the special effects crew during the filming of the movie. I asked him how it went and all he said was; "baby on a stick."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread