The Robert and Sarah Morriss Story

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Charles William Button (1822-1894): Lynchburg Daily Virginian. "Addy" not working... BUT! "Google" For good and bad Civil War editor was man of his times. The ORIGINAL newspaper article, News & Advance - Sunday, April 19, 2015 stated: "He (Button) ended his newspaper career with a bizarre interlude in which he sold the Daily Virginian to one of his sub-editors (John W. Sherman) who had earlier written a DIME NOVEL that may have sparked the BEALE TREASURE legend about a hoard of GOLD buried in Bedford. Button bought the paper back." (p. B3).

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

Charles William Button (1822-1894): Lynchburg Daily Virginian. "Addy" not working... BUT! "Google" For good and bad Civil War editor was man of his times. The ORIGINAL newspaper article, News & Advance - Sunday, April 19, 2015 stated: "He (Button) ended his newspaper career with a bizarre interlude in which he sold the Daily Virginian to one of his sub-editors (John W. Sherman) who had earlier written a DIME NOVEL that may have sparked the BEALE TREASURE legend about a hoard of GOLD buried in Bedford. Button bought the paper back." (p. B3).

Just more, he said this and she said that. There's plenty of that for both sides of the issue. It's not proof.

O

Old Silver

Someone's opinion on what MAY HAVE been. Not proof. But I agree that it MAY HAVE been that.

Besides, that quote doesn't say Sherman wrote the Beale papers, as you earlier claimed.

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

"He ended his newspaper career with a bizarre interlude in which he sold the Daily Virginian to one of his sub-editors who had earlier wntten a dime novel that may have sparked the Beale Treasure legend about a hoard of gold buried in Bedford. Then, Button bought the paper back."

If you'll notice, the above quote is not the words of Button, but rather the person telling the story of Button. Button was not the one who said that one of his sub-editors had earlier written a dime novel that may have sparked the Beale Treasure legend. That was the words of the article writer. Either way, it's only an opinion.

Besides, if Button had said the above, I'm not sure how much stock I would put into it. He was a man who seemed to not know what he believed.:

"Lynchburg editor Charles W. Button was a pro-Unionist and anti-secessionist who despised Abraham Lincoln, a non-aristocrat amid Southern planters, a full-throated slavery supporter who owned no slaves."

Not exactly a single minded man, huh?

And there's this:

The Virginian would have "no sympathy with those who counsel separation," Button wrote.

So much for Mr. Button's opinions.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Much of genealogy information is wrong. I have actual documents as proof, not just something compiled by other researchers.
On the subject of he said she said proof, do you possess the actual documents of proof?
What do they prove and how do they relate to the Beale Papers or the story of the Beale Party's perilous adventure?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Our Robert's mother was named Sarah Garner. His grandmother was Mary Hall (she was formerly married to a Hall).
Our Robert had three sister, and no brothers.
His sisters:
1. Susannah (married Adam Mitchell, probably brother of Sarah Mitchell).
2. Letitia (married George Curtis).
3. Leanna.

Our Robert's father, Thomas was 1/2 brother of Robert Morris, signer of the DOI. Robert's (DOI) mother died in England when he was small. His father, Robert SR. immagrated to Oxford, MD, where he was later joined by his son, Robert. Robert SR remarried (Mary Hall) and had 2 sons, one of which was Thomas, the father of our Robert Morriss.
Confused yet?

i found 2 docs yesterday that has me wondering about our RM and the doi RM

Robert Morris to George Washington, August 17, 1782, Cipher
download.png

Robert Morris to George Washington, October 16, 1782, Cipher
download (1).png

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Someone's opinion on what MAY HAVE been. Not proof. But I agree that it MAY HAVE been that.

Besides, that quote doesn't say Sherman wrote the Beale papers, as you earlier claimed.
LOL! John William Sherman WAS his sub-editor!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"He ended his newspaper career with a bizarre interlude in which he sold the Daily Virginian to one of his sub-editors who had earlier wntten a dime novel that may have sparked the Beale Treasure legend about a hoard of gold buried in Bedford. Then, Button bought the paper back."

If you'll notice, the above quote is not the words of Button, but rather the person telling the story of Button. Button was not the one who said that one of his sub-editors had earlier written a dime novel that may have sparked the Beale Treasure legend. That was the words of the article writer. Either way, it's only an opinion.

Besides, if Button had said the above, I'm not sure how much stock I would put into it. He was a man who seemed to not know what he believed.:

"Lynchburg editor Charles W. Button was a pro-Unionist and anti-secessionist who despised Abraham Lincoln, a non-aristocrat amid Southern planters, a full-throated slavery supporter who owned no slaves."

Not exactly a single minded man, huh?

And there's this:

The Virginian would have "no sympathy with those who counsel separation," Button wrote.

So much for Mr. Button's opinions.
Take yer issues up with Joe... who wrote the article; Charlie Button is DEAD...

O

Old Silver

Take yer issues up with Joe... who wrote the article; Charlie Button is DEAD...

I don't really have an issue with it.
If Joe believes that a story by Sherman was the inspiration for the Beale story, that's his business. He might be right, we don't know.

O

Old Silver

AGAIN, take yer issues up with Joe, who wrote the article...

No issues here, just stating the facts.
You posted about the article, that's why I'm pointing out to you that the saying you attributed to Mr. Button was actually a statement by someone else. And only an opinion at that.
Again, no issues here, just pointing out the facts.

O

Old Silver

LOL! Dunno, YOU tell me...

I did tell you. I was simply pointing out that the article you posted, purporting it to be the words of Mr. Button, were actually the words of someone else. That's all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions