The Robert and Sarah Morriss Story

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It was built in 1905 as the Academy of Fine Arts Music at 600 main Street with funds provided by Richard D Apperson, owner of the Lynchburg Traction & Light Co.
In 1911, a fire destroyed the interior and most of the Main Street entrance, but was restored in 1912 with money from an investor group headed by Charles Guggenheimer.
This may have been the site of Robert Morriss's 1820's Washington Inn, but not the building.
Well I thought that Washington Inn/House was simply the BIG old HOME of Robert & Sarah Morris, at the "Head" of Main Street; rooms to "let"; food to eat... NO different buildings to build or rent. NO historical facts for DIFFERENT buildings & just MHO.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I thought that Washington Inn/House was simply the BIG old HOME of Robert & Sarah Morris, at the "Head" of Main Street; rooms to "let"; food to eat... NO different buildings to build or rent. NO historical facts for DIFFERENT buildings & just MHO.

The Washington House stood on Lot #23 on Church Street and Robert Morriss lived on Lot #84 on Main Street until 1823. He then moved to either the Washington House or the Bell Tavern?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Where is the documented proof that anyone contacted Roland D. Buford about the Beale Treasure Pamphlet? You keep mentioning it but have not shown the source of your information. According to articles I have read no one contacted Roland D. Buford nor his father Paschal Buford while they were living nor his mother nor anyone at the Buford's Tavern or those living in Lynchburg, Va.
This has been discussed on several threads and links were provided on one of my OP threads. You even gave that a post a Like.
NOTE: The Beale Papers were published after Pascal and Francis Buford had passed away, so the only people who could be questioned about the alleged Beale stay at Buford's were their three children.
They all claimed to have no knowledge of nor ever heard a family story concerning Beale's stay.
"His (Beale) character soon became well known"-THE BEALE PAPERS
Doesn't seem like he was keeping his visits and stays secret, now does it?

Also you keep mentioning Col. Isaac Coles why could it have not been Edward Coles that left Lynchburg, Va. became Governor of Illinois after freeing his 19 slaves. There are others out there besides the two you mention. Robert Morriss, Chiswell Dabney and others were all kin to the Witcher's and the Cole's families. And they in turn were related to two or three Presidents of the United States and to several of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
So I see no basis for your "purposeful discrepencies of plausible facts?"

Edward Coles was Col Issac Coles younger brother, and Issac Cole did work for two Presidents.
From family genealogies, several posted here, DOI signer, Robert Morris Jr, was not related to the Robert Morriss character of Ward's 1885 Beale Papers, as well as William Witcher and Edward and Issac Cole.
For the record, Andrew Jackson and Chief Justice Marshall were also not related to the Robert Morriss character.
"Plausible facts" are those based on speculation without any real substance beyond that of the presenter.

...and still with all the various genealogies, maps, notices in period newspapers, and the Washington House listing in the 1885 Lynchburg Business Directory, none of these presentations prove that anything in the Beale Papers story as actually ever happening outside of the Beale Papers.
In fact, the presented "plausible informational facts" do just the opposite.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Where is the documented proof that anyone contacted Roland D. Buford about the Beale Treasure Pamphlet? You keep mentioning it but have not shown the source of your information. According to articles I have read no one contacted Roland D. Buford nor his father Paschal Buford while they were living nor his mother nor anyone at the Buford's Tavern or those living in Lynchburg, Va.
This has been discussed on several threads and links were provided on one of my OP threads. You even gave that a post a Like.
NOTE: The Beale Papers were published after Pascal and Francis Buford had passed away, so the only people who could be questioned about the alleged Beale stay at Buford's were their three children.
They all claimed to have no knowledge of nor ever heard a family story concerning Beale's stay.
"His (Beale) character soon became well known"-THE BEALE PAPERS
Doesn't seem like he was keeping his visits and stays secret, now does it?

Edward Coles was Col Issac Coles younger brother, and Issac Cole did work for two Presidents.
From family genealogies, several posted here, DOI signer, Robert Morris Jr, was not related to the Robert Morriss character of Ward's 1885 Beale Papers, as well as William Witcher and Edward and Issac Cole.
For the record, Andrew Jackson and Chief Justice Marshall were also not related to the Robert Morriss character.
"Plausible facts" are those based on speculation without any real substance beyond that of the presenter.

...and still with all the various genealogies, maps, notices in period newspapers, and the Washington House listing in the 1885 Lynchburg Business Directory, none of these presentations prove that anything in the Beale Papers story as actually ever happening outside of the Beale Papers.
In fact, the presented "plausible informational facts" do just the opposite.
1855 Biz listing, would be in the "time" of "working" the Packet Boats on the CANAL... (they ended it in 1858 or so...). GREAT info provided on SEVERAL "Threads"; getting hard to keep it all "together"... WHEW!

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1855 Biz listing, would be in the "time" of "working" the Packet Boats on the CANAL... (they ended it in 1858 or so...). GREAT info provided on SEVERAL "Threads"; getting hard to keep it all "together"... WHEW!

Yes but your paste by ECS says that none of those mentioned in the pamphlet were kin to Robert Morriss. He even goes as far as saying Robert Morriss was no kin to Robert Morris, Signer of the DOI. All of this is false. Does ECS have the genealogy of Robert Morriss? No! Well I do and I can say categorically ECS is Dead Wrong.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
http://geni.com/people/Robert-Morri...claration-of-Independence/5107009272950044292
NOTE: Robert Morris Sr had two "partners" Elizabeth Murphat (Jr's mother) and Sarah Wise (Oxford, Maryland) , the mother of Thomas Wise Morris.
Thomas Wise Morris, while born in Oxford, Maryland, died in France, 1778, and from the posted genealogy, unmarried and childless.

The history of Robert Morris, Jr, who came to Maryland at age 14, in 1748;
http://dsdi1775.com/signers-by-state/robert-morris

Adam Mitchell and Susannah Morris Mitchell:
http://ancestry.com/genealogy/records/susannah-morris_91758193
It appears that Thomas Morris and Sarah Gardner Morris has only one child, Susannah.

This should straighten out some of the genealogy confusion. :thumbsup:
Wrong?
Not according to the above information.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

LOL sorry posted in wrong thread, should have been here
in reference to the ad for Washington house
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...ile-keeping-washington-hotel.html#post4948324

i like the lynch history site, just wish they had more
info on a lot of the items. like the img of the house
next to or as the ad says "contiguous to the court house"
the date of img. the house looks like houses from 1860
to 1900 maybe. do any of the old plats say what house is
there in the late or mid 1800s

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong?
Not according to the above information.

Sorry but all of that information is wrong but you can accept it if you do not want to do your own research.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I am not your RELIEF PROGRAM.

Dec 12, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have, but if you claim it is all wrong, then you need to post the "RIGHT" information.

so what information have you ever posted? i have been reading the posting here and have not seen one thing, but some diary that jean and others said was fiction. are you fishing like mr reb has said others do?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
my mother and grandmother do genealogies too. they said most of them are way off and fiction.
The point, young Jack, is this;
When one makes the statement "that all that information is wrong" they are obligated to produce documented evidence that supports that statement.

Saying something is wrong, does not prove one's statement is right without supporting evidence, now does it. I'm sure you'd agree.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So according ECS, All we have to do is post something wrong and then if anyone out there has the correct information we are obligated to hold their hand and just give the correct information. Sounds fine to the one that post misinformation but is not too good for the poster that has done hard research. I mean traveling, copying, going over documents for hours and then we are to just give you the information because you posted the wrong information. Sorry but I do not operate that way.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You keep accusing me of posting false and misinformation, a subtle way of calling me a liar, all because I have questioned many of your "correct information" that is outside of what is presented in the Beale story narrative.
While you disparage my information as false, you provide nothing to substantiate those accusations except self serving personal judgements to avoid addressing questions posed by your outside of the Beale Papers "correct information".
If one judges another's information to be false, one should be prepared to back up that statement AND expect to have their information judged.
Most discussions that involve the presentation of facts "operate that way".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread