The Sad, Sad Story ...

M

magoman

Yesterday was rainy, and I go to the library to do some research. I find this picture (1910) and locate the current
place:
history1.jpg
H-now1.jpg
Another picture from 1911 and how it looks now:
history2.jpg
H-now2.jpg
The new School building was build in 1921, but it was surprising that the building on background is looks today
like in 1911:
history3.jpg
H-now3.jpg
Today I went to Metal detecting over there and realized that City placed more than 1 meeter coat of soil on the
top of this historical place... And that's what I find only for 2 hours:
MyFinds1.jpg
MyFinds2.jpg
It is the Sad, Sad Story ...

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I hope the story isn't over! Maybe you can hunt the surrounding yards... or catch them tearing up a parking lot...

Still a good day of research if nothing else!

trev

Dec 28, 2006
Falkirk Scotland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thats what it is all about, finding the past! great research, its very spooky seeing those old pictures against the now, making a connection, well done magoman!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
keep an eye on those spots for any constuction projects, or field leveling projects. its both good and bad that they put all that fill on it. the bad is that you cant get to it, but the good is that neither can the compitition! if they ever move the soil around be the first one there and clean up!

OP
OP
M

magoman

I'm in Connecticut, Norwich.
I'm not really sure about the coat of soil, I just guessing.
But may be it is just my Bounty Tracker IV is not capable
of finding a good staff?
I did post my question about my detector on this forum before -
but has not a lot of answer...
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,63175.0.html
Thanks everybody for responds.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
If you're not 100% sure about the coat of soil.........think of it this way, even if they did add a layer, there is a good chance that not to all of the footprint/area of that place. Secondly, hit it up a few more times and check all the garbage that can be dated. Bottle caps would be where I'd be looking first to date that soil.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At least you got the opportunity to hunt there at all. You did find some cool stuff too!

HH,
Moon

T

TreasureTales

File this location in your memory and check it out once in a while. The place might have the lawn torn up, or the street in front of it torn up someday. Then your research will pay off. But I feel your pain.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Ya I ran into this problem a few days ago with no deep targets and no old targets on a site that had history. It was still a fun time hunting and there are lots of other sites waiting to be found.
Keep at it. HH
Donny

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh the pain! (wait for some construction)

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread