THE SEARCH IS ON: Swift Mine

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The john swift silver mine legend has always peaked my interest but mainly as an arm chair treasure hunt from my living room until recently,I had found an article about a small silver vein being located a few years ago in tazwell county VA along the clinch river(part of the big sandy watershed) and then the wheels started turning.I started looking into some of the town names and found one of the first settlers documented in that area in 1776 had settled near an old cattle farm on a place known as rock house mountain before tazwell was incorporated into a county.Whats even more interesting is that this discovered silver vein lies within an hours driving distance of this settlers pasture field,After more research into the matter via google earth i also realized that about 70 miles down stream is where the clinch meets the russell fork and tug rivers and eventually flowing through pound gap ,Remember the caves at pound gap in the swift tale? Those caves are also marked on the jefferson national forest trail maps.Im actually thinking there may be more to this than meets the eye and i have reason to believe this to be very matter of fact but some details will not be included.Im from southwest VA,anyone in SWVA or Eastern Ky areas that may be interested in forming a partnership let me know.Partnership will involve some cave spelunking and some hiking into areas that would require mounting a major effort to access them with the proper equipment.Its turning cold but id like to get in a few trail hikes and a couple weekends camping and mapping the area before winter puts everything on hold for a few months.If anyone is interested feel free to drop me a line,Whats the worst that could happen,Get in some camping time and maybe find some new detecting spots along the way?Hell,Might even get in some fishing on the clinch in the meantime.

HH John

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
LuckyThirteen08, You might be better off waiting till the leaves drop. Better view of land and no snakes. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 593

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
There's a thread here dedicated to Swift . Many good folks searching as individuals and in groups that are well worth contacting .
You get boots on the ground in that country and have a good eye for signs you will have a ball . One problem is that there are signs from so many different cultures and eras that it is difficult to stay on a single trail .

There was a lead mine in the Tasewell area that was well guarded during War 2 because it was also producing significant ammounts of silver .

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a thread here dedicated to Swift . Many good folks searching as individuals and in groups that are well worth contacting .
You get boots on the ground in that country and have a good eye for signs you will have a ball . One problem is that there are signs from so many different cultures and eras that it is difficult to stay on a single trail .

There was a lead mine in the Tasewell area that was well guarded during War 2 because it was also producing significant ammounts of silver .

yes and during swift days,i think that part was va but kentucky county,will have to check again

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes and during swift days,i think that part was va but kentucky county,will have to check again

Tazwell has always been va but not always called tazwell :thumbsup:, even before the countys of dickenson,buchanan,tazwell,russell became commons there is more than reason to believe the mine is here...............I`ll leave it at that

EDIT: General Burbridge passes through grundy va on his raid to saltville,Grundy also named after president buchanan....a little teaser with some real results.

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through the records of the last two hundred years of coal mining and geological surveys through southwest virginia and kentucky,If the mine isnt in this 100 mile square,it doesnt exist.

Im convinced it does exist,Went from an arm chair story to a damn near fact for me.

Last edited:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Swift was here there was no Kentucky yet..it’s of course part of Virginia at that time in history, which was close to the time Gist went thru KY for the Ohio Company….please go to the legends area here in Tnet and look at the J Swift lost mines ...nice threads there going back several years..many think it’s the Eastern KY area the mines are in….I have been checking out the Elliott and Greenup county areas and finding lots of things that could be related. Several of us have got together to disscuss Swift info and theories.

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Swift was here there was no Kentucky yet..it’s of course part of Virginia at that time in history, which was close to the time Gist went thru KY for the Ohio Company….please go to the legends area here in Tnet and look at the J Swift lost mines ...nice threads there going back several years..many think it’s the Eastern KY area the mines are in….I have been checking out the Elliott and Greenup county areas and finding lots of things that could be related. Several of us have got together to disscuss Swift info and theories.

Look at the border of grundy va and ky and tazwell counties proximity to eastern ky, less than 75 miles.Lost in translation,Found in facts man. Its here.No doubt about it

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mine geological surveys for coal in the last 200 years of the area give a damn good clue to where silver could exist in quantity......Take your time and take a look,You will see what im sayin

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
lucky i didnt forget i cant find the thumb drive,i thought i had some KY. files on
1 of the Tdrives the kid filled with school imgs, ill keep looking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread