New guy with a cache lead

medicffjt

Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got my first lead. My grandparents have a rather good size piece a land where they built a house. On the land through some woods is an old barn and old house from the last 1800's I believe. I told them the other day I was going to come out and do some metal detecting. My grandmother mentions the older gentlemen that lived in the house had hidden some money and it has not been found. I'm a little skeptical because they have been living on this land for some time now and this is the first I've heard of this. So we will see what kind of stuff I can find.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Someone owns that barn and house and the land under them. You'd best clear it with the owners before setting foot on it.
Years ago I got surprised at an old house that had been vacant a long time. This place was next to my property and my mom
and dad were with me with detectors. All of a sudden here comes a pickup with the owner and a young man who got out with
a shotgun and began to shoot up into the trees. Needless to say we didn't hang around to see if any squirrels fell out.

K

Kentucky Kache

I've got my first lead. My grandparents have a rather good size piece a land where they built a house. On the land through some woods is an old barn and old house from the last 1800's I believe. I told them the other day I was going to come out and do some metal detecting. My grandmother mentions the older gentlemen that lived in the house had hidden some money and it has not been found. I'm a little skeptical because they have been living on this land for some time now and this is the first I've heard of this. So we will see what kind of stuff I can find.

medicffjt, I suggest putting your skepticism in your back pocket and go hunt the place. What's the worse thing that cam happen? The old man really didn't bury a cache? So the only thing you'll get is a day or two of enjoyment and experience treasure hunting. I would call that a good day, finds or no finds. Of course you should heed what LL said and make sure the land belongs to your grandparents, or that you have permission to hunt it. Other than that, enjoy the day.

You know, you can do research on the guy who supposedly buried the cache.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
People like to imagine that everyone who lived in the woods had a bunch of excess gold coins and naturally buried them
instead of using them for things like food and drink and taxes. Of course (they imagine) the guy would starve before letting
a cent go for the basic necessities just so he could hobble into town and annouce to the local loafers that he had his fortune
hid where no one could ever find it.

Good cache hunters like KK know that is not true at all. He's been diggin junk iron so long he's got bony fingers.

K

Kentucky Kache

People like to imagine that everyone who lived in the woods had a bunch of excess gold coins and naturally buried them
instead of using them for things like food and drink and taxes. Of course (they imagine) the guy would starve before letting
a cent go for the basic necessities just so he could hobble into town and annouce to the local loafers that he had his fortune

Good cache hunters like KK know that is not true at all. He's been diggin junk iron so long he's got bony fingers.

But tough fingernails.:laughing7:

OP
OP
M

medicffjt

Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. My grandparents do own the land so thats not a problem. I'm heading there Saturday to do some detecting. I'm have a good time I'm sure probably found something interesting at the very least. Thanks

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What I find funny is that people really tell people they "have gold, richs, etc buried away. Crap I ain't saying nuthin'

OP
OP
M

medicffjt

Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out Sunday and did some detecting. Found a couple of small items. Heading back next weekend to see what else I can find.

9-30-12.jpg

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anything predating 1933 when president roosevelt demanded gold be turned in for paper currency so it could be smelted into bars is worth taking a second look at. May not be billions but a few gold coins from the turn of the century can bring you a handsome penny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread