The silver pirates win again!

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just finished hunting a group of older homes from the 1940s-1950s(7 1/2 hours total). 7 wheat pennies, 1 token, 0 silver. This is probably the 20th older house I've hunted(in the last 4 years) and only found 1 or a handful of wheat pennies at the most. Never a silver coin. I guess after 30 years of the silver pirates doing their thing, it's not possible that any silver coins are going to be left. This I've learned from experience. Congratulations, you did your job well. Frustrating for me. Sorry I was born 30 years after you. My city has a lot of retirees who MD for a hobby--and got lots of time on their hands to do it. I guess I'll continue to add to my wheat penny count; it's still kinda fun to find one. Enough venting. I'll try and post a pic of the token tomorrow if anybody is interested; it's about the size of a half dollar. I won't bore you with pics of the wheaties.

Upvote 7

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still dig every Wheatie because you never know. I've been doing alright in silver coins but it's because I live in PA. A lot of hills and ways for people to lose stuff. I'm sure it's rough being in AZ but keep living the dream. One day the hard work will pay off!

Last edited:

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not despair, if Tucson dose not work for you there are lots of other places between you and Mexico to hunt, I will be there next Monday and headed for Cochise co. I always find something good along the railroad lines or down on the border. There is a lot of trash but keep at it and you might find something a whole lot better than a silver dime. Go for the gold, Cheers

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Show us the wheats, Their all over 60 years old now..

I agree! I bet you find a lot of S mint Wheaties in AZ which I usually dont find here in PA. I'd post any of the lower mintage years if you find them. The best Wheaties I ever found were a 1909 VDB, 1915D, and 1932.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There should be a silver left around there I got a few even back in the early 80's.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always remember, that there is more to find than silver. Old Wheats, Indians, and especially relics, just to name a few. If you are hung up on the silver, then yes, depending on where you live in the country, and how many hobbyists are around, it may be more difficult to find than other places. Dont ever give up on searching for it. It is still out there.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to know the detecor brand that can tell the difference between a wheatie and a silver dime....mine can't!(AT-P). Garrett dealers please don't resond. I want an unbiased response to my question.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to know the detecor brand that can tell the difference between a wheatie and a silver dime....mine can't!(AT-P). Garrett dealers please don't resond. I want an unbiased response to my question.

I can usually tell the difference between a wheatie and a dime with the ATP. Keep in mind, various circumstances can throw off the VDI so the best advice is to keep digging everything.

Usually from my experiences 78-80 for a wheatie and 81-82 for a silver dime.

Last edited:
OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can usually tell the difference between a wheatie and a dime with the ATP. Keep in mind, various circumstances can throw off the VDI so the best advice is to keep digging everything.

Usually from my experiences 78-80 for a wheatie and 81-82 for a silver dime.

Depends on soil conditions but most of the time an older copper penny will vdi at 80-83--same as a dime.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on soil conditions but most of the time an older copper penny will vdi at 80-83--same as a dime.

Very true, I ground balance at 90 as well. I do sometimes see dimes ring up an 83 too. Large Cents are VDI 82 here in PA.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished hunting a group of older homes from the 1940s-1950s. ..........snip...... I won't bore you with pics of the wheaties.

WELL!!! So much for the majority of my posts! :( :tongue3:

Congrats on getting out...... being able to....the silver? Stop looking for 'em .....and.....they will come. :)

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Minelab Explorer SE Pro can tell the difference. Complete different numbers between the two coins.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Dang, long hunts with no silver stinks. Keep after it! It'll turn around for you eventually, sounds like you are in the right kinds of places.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t quit 7up. YOU are trying to shoot silver too,just gotta do it a little better than the last round of guys who dug 0-6” coins for the last 4 decades. Either you have to find them in junky areas with a small coil or go deep. Or...find an unsearched area,such as under bushes,in the brush lines in parks and playgrounds,etc. The Explorers with dual number readout can tell you wheat from silver in many conditions,but when it comes to 8”+,it gets a little harder,but can be done according to the long time users. My Explorer2 has a definite sound on silver,it can only be experienced,not explained. I’m not trying to sell you a unicorn here,just kicking around options for you to be more successful. My CTX will tell me if it’s silver also to the 8” mark,and many times it’s correct beyond that in good dirt. FBS machines are what you want to look at if you are hunting deep coins. It’ll also serve you well at shallower depth as the ID is even more accurate,as well as the audio. The Explorer2,Explorer SE,Explorer SE pro and even the eTrac can be had for 350-800 dollars,depending on which one you might get. It’s up to you of course,but if you want to find silver,start looking at these units. JMHO.
Best of luck,I’ll guarantee you there is silver out there. Be smart about where you look for it,then have a setup capable of seeing it and IDing it for what it is.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished hunting a group of older homes from the 1940s-1950s(7 1/2 hours total). 7 wheat pennies, 1 token, 0 silver. This is probably the 20th older house I've hunted(in the last 4 years) and only found 1 or a handful of wheat pennies at the most. Never a silver coin. I guess after 30 years of the silver pirates doing their thing, it's not possible that any silver coins are going to be left. This I've learned from experience. Congratulations, you did your job well. Frustrating for me. Sorry I was born 30 years after you. My city has a lot of retirees who MD for a hobby--and got lots of time on their hands to do it. I guess I'll continue to add to my wheat penny count; it's still kinda fun to find one. Enough venting. I'll try and post a pic of the token tomorrow if anybody is interested; it's about the size of a half dollar. I won't bore you with pics of the wheaties.

Not sure if it's allowed but, have you ever hunted up on Mount Lemmon or in the Catalinas? Perhaps you might find some silver up there where the old birds can't get to. I lived in Tucson for a few years back in 84-86. I hiked a bit in the Catalinas and the foothills. Found lots of Indian artifacts and some cowboy bullets and casings. If you can't find silver where everyone else has hunted then you should try going where they haven't. Just a thought.

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling. I got a new permission and found 13 wheats. I did find one toasted
merc. It has bubbles and the date isn't there. I counted it anyway I was so desperate.
13 wheats in a row. I got another permission and found another 6 wheats and no silver
I have been going back to my best areas which have been heavily hunted. I find myself
going slower and slower and digging more iffy signals. Then a couple nights ago I got
a decent signal and dug a dateless barber dime. It was only 4-5" inches down but not
a strong signal. It was a 89 vdi and barbers are usually 92 or 93. Must be because it
was worn so thin. I even checked it out of the hole and it was 89. It was an area I have
hunted too. I feel like I am in tune with my machine the best ever this season. I dug a
9" mercury last week in a spot I had been before.
I have a new permission I am looking forward to, its 3 1/2 acre homesite.
One of these permissions will pay off?

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if it's allowed but, have you ever hunted up on Mount Lemmon or in the Catalinas? Perhaps you might find some silver up there where the old birds can't get to. I lived in Tucson for a few years back in 84-86. I hiked a bit in the Catalinas and the foothills. Found lots of Indian artifacts and some cowboy bullets and casings. If you can't find silver where everyone else has hunted then you should try going where they haven't. Just a thought.

I've been up there many times- it's all hunted out. There's a boy scout camp up there-built in the 1920s. It's been absolutely scoured to death. It took me 14 hours to find a wheat penny(the one old coin they missed). I did run into a guy who said he found a buffalo(elsewhere in the Catalinas)-so i guess it's theoretically possible to still find an old coin up there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread