The Silver Washington Quarter.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
This is something that has bothered me for years and I thought I'd share to see if anyone else has experienced this. I have found a handful of Barber coins in my day, many indian heads, Mercs, silver rosies, even a Standing Liberty Quarter yet I have never found a silver Washington quarter. I have found probably 50 1965 quartes but never a silver. I wonder why they are so hard to find. Any ideas?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Same reason my merc to rosie ratio is about 10:1. The silver Washingtons and rosies are normally a lot shallower than the mercs and Barbers. Most were scooped up years ago by earlier detectorists.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a very good point. Still, you would think for all the 1965's I've found that there has to be a 1964 somewhere..lol

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When the coinage was switched to clad people started saving the silver coins they got in change so not as many were lost after that. The 65's were in circulation for years. When I started detecting in the early 70's silver was really easy to find and even though our detectors back then weren't the greatest we did a pretty good job of finding it. Thinking about it, even then I don't remember finding a lot of quarters. They were worth more then (almost 3 sodas when i was a kid) so I guess people would have looked for them when they dropped them and being a larger coin would be easier to spot laying on the ground than the smaller coinage. Just a theory of course, but its still odd you haven't found one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread