The Spanish and their signs

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or perhaps they're pointing out that it is possibly incidental or coincidental, having nothing to do with treasure.

This is like lying on your back and staring at the clouds : If you let your mind wander, you can eventually find a smiley face, a cow, a star, a "2", etc... in cloud formations. But even if this is a real hand-drawn 2, why must it necessarily mean: "Treasure" ? People write graffiti all the time, and .... does not mean "treasure".

Thus no, not "trolling for more info".
I do not believe in coincidence.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is how things get twisted. First off he asked for an opinion, and he received some logical ones. Secondly, where did the " CROSS" come into play? Nothing was ever mentioned about a cross. You know that game we played in school, where the teacher would whisper something in one of the students ears ................

Trying to give a example of how to read and follow spanish trail sign is a exercise in futility. My opinon is if he saw it, it must exist. Direction, distance, and extra instructions can hide in a sign. But since it was visible from the trail this is a way mark and pointed the way to what he was to find. Being a cross it is of the church. The number 2 has meaning depending on who you ask here. This is most likely a far sign to bring you into a area.

If you study older maps and waybills you will see just what I mean about what these signs could mean. The french, indians, spanish, mexicans, Jesuit, Franscicans all left their own marks out there folks. I absolutely love walking the trails. In the end the only thing was have to tell us about the past is rocks it seems. Hope this helps clear up my confusing yet accurate post.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I do not believe in coincidence.

Really ? So if you lied on your back, and could envision a shape in the clouds of a "cow" shape, or a big dipper shape, or a "2", you would consider those "designed", rather than "coincidental", right ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Trying to give a example of how to read and follow spanish trail sign ....

You didn't answer his question. He pointed out to you that the O.P. never said anything about a "cross". Only a "2".

But let's assume for the moment that you were only giving that as an example, and never meant to imply that the OP had said "cross". Then do you see how someone else reading this, will then forevermore now have a "cross" entered into the story ? Hence the telephone game at play right before our eyes.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speculate at all on what it represents. Couple of ideas. Research the history of that area, and maybe that will give you a clue. The better thing, talk to the locals. May be somethin everybody and his uncle knows about in that part of the country, but take care as may be somethin every body in that part of the country has been lookin for.

OP
OP
T

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0016.JPG

so I guess this is also a useless carving right????

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....so I guess this is also a useless carving right????

Depends on what you mean by "useless". If you mean "does it indicate treasure?" (as being useFUL) then no, it doesn't necessarily mean treasure. People carve graffiti all the time on all sorts of objects. Yes, even in antiquity hundreds or thousands of years ago. Human nature never changes: Mankind's inclination to put his "mark" on the wall. Heck, even caveman, pre-historic indians, etc... left their marks on objects. And they had nothing whatsoever to do with "a treasure is buried here".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread