The Star Barn

rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, whites DFX
The barn is pretty cool, enjoyed seeing the pic on the site. Wonder if someone could find this on google, to get a good look from above?

Rugratt

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Type in Middletown,pa on google earth in the search bar and go left along the highway...

Here's the aerial.

Al

Attachments

• Starbarn.jpg
    Starbarn.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 343

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
listed as a National Historic Landmark with the National Register of Historic Places

how do they Move This ?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff of pa said:
listed as a National Historic Landmark with the National Register of Historic Places

how do they Move This ?

Very carefully....

I've watched a program on how they move whole structures like this. Very, very tedious to insure an uneventful move....it's done more than we think. Hydraulic jacks, support beams underneith...a BIG truck....and a lot of money!

Al

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D :D :D I meant Legally.

So when do they

Move Getteysburg To Washington D.C.

& Sell the Land off ?

& If the land isn't that Important
Why no detecting at the star Barn all these years ?

Dirt Junkie

Jan 31, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hi everyone... newbe here (less than a year MDing). So far I have been a TN Forum observer -- not compelled to say anything (or worthy) -- until now. I live not too far from the Star Barn. And just like this topic, I have something to learn everytime I visit. Like checking-in with the Star Barn folks. Never thought about it before and I'm still not quite to the point of knocking on doors or going to places where I need to ask permission, but I'm running out of places to hunt. Guess I better get over the shyness. To the earlier Star Barn post, they plan on taking it down, board by board, timber by timber and stone by stone. Anyway, you guys (and gals - I think) are the best. Thanks for the education -- now and in the future.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff of pa said:
:D :D :D I meant Legally.

So when do they

Move Getteysburg To Washington D.C.

& Sell the Land off ?

& If the land isn't that Important
Why no detecting at the star Barn all these years ?

Welcome Dirt Junkie....

Less than a year detecting and already running out of places?

Hang out...you'll find there is a whole world of places to detect...just ask Jeff...lol

Anyhow...I missed your point Jeff...and a very good one at that.

How do you legally move an historic monument, landmark, place.

Kinda takes the history out of historic, doesn't it? Or value of the historicness.

So the place is landlocked...big deal!

140 year old landmark...won't be marking the land anymore. No more...drive down the road and turn left at the big barn...it wont be there.

But I don't want to detect the barn anyhow...just the land. Kind of sets a precedence for the importance of the land that surrounds an historic structure.

Al

Dirt Junkie

Jan 31, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Less than a year detecting and already running out of places?

I should restate: Running out of places in "Middletown" -- public places -- places that aren't concreted over. I need to start knocking on doors. Middletown was founded in 1755 and has a rich colonial history. I know the history and thanks to this website, I have found links to maps I never new existed. Some of these properties are owned by folks I've known for years. I just gotta go say hi. I can't wait for the thaw. Also, a group hunt at the Star Barn would be cool too -- getting to meet some of you who have help me so much this first year. Thanks again.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PGHdfxr said:
The Star Barn is going to be moved and the land is to be sold. Maybe we-all could get permission to do a group hunt there before or after the sale. The barn was built in 1872, in Agrarian county middletown PA. www.TheStarBarn.com. I'm ready for a road trip.

I'd be in for a group hunt & approaching the owners with you if you want.

B

weemskat

Jun 23, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember being at shows where they were looking for donations to restore this barn.Now they want to move it?I guess they will need to collect more money. weemskat

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides the legality of moving an historic house...check this out....

Moving the Sarah Heinz house in 1904...by barge...

Al

Attachments

• house moving, circa 1904.jpg
    house moving, circa 1904.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 212

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt Junkie said:
Hi everyone... newbe here (less than a year MDing). So far I have been a TN Forum observer -- not compelled to say anything (or worthy) -- until now. I live not too far from the Star Barn. And just like this topic, I have something to learn everytime I visit. Like checking-in with the Star Barn folks. Never thought about it before and I'm still not quite to the point of knocking on doors or going to places where I need to ask permission, but I'm running out of places to hunt. Guess I better get over the shyness. To the earlier Star Barn post, they plan on taking it down, board by board, timber by timber and stone by stone. Anyway, you guys (and gals - I think) are the best. Thanks for the education -- now and in the future.
Hello&WELCOME to TN!!!,It is the best site and MOST informitive one i have EVER been to(there is,obviously other cool sites but TN is...) as far as "door-knocking" i to suffer from the shyness,but i call it"fear of rejection"!!! ha ha,i've been "wheeling&dealing" in antiques,etc.for over 25yrs. and STILL have never knocked on a door!(in the"trade" dealers are ALWAYS knocking on doors to"bust" a sale before the sale,what nerve!) :thumbsup:,anyway welcome to TN &Start a knocking!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread