Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
Once in awhile I hear " there is no more treasure to find" " it's all gone ". well to quote Cap'n Jack Sparrow " not all treasure is silver and gold ".... I met someone at work about a week ago and we started talking about Harry Oliver and the old Fort Oliver in 1000 Palms near Palm Springs. I told this guy that I have been on the hunt for one his peglegs and he said he had one. WHAT?!?!? You see, Harry placed 60 wooden peglegs all over the desert to help promote the Lost Pegleg yarn back in the late 40's or 50's, I'm not sure. Harry was a twice Oscar nominated set designer ( back in the early 1920's ) and worked on such films as 7th Heaven, Street Angels, Sparrows. Luck Star, Scarface, Good Earth and Viva Villa. If you have seen the " witch house " in Beverly Hills, that was done by Harry ( here is a link to pixs and location of the house http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-spadena-house-aka-the-witchs-house-beverly-hills. For more on the history of Harry follow this link http://www.klaxo.net/hofc/hofc.htm. Anyway it seems that this guys Dad was a huge 29 Ford and desert fan, that's when he found out Harry's old ride was for sale and yes he did buy it. He completely restored the truck and in the process, he and his wife became very good friends with Harry. In fact, it was this couple that took Harry out to the last 49er gathering in Death Valley. So went I met his Mom and Dad I was UNBELIEVABLY surprised !!!! There in front of me was 6 HUGE plastic containers with a TON of " treasure "... We sat around the kitchen table and talked for about 3 hours, they told me all about their adventures with the old Ford, the desert and Harry. Here is a sample of some of the treasure I found...

I hope you enjoy...

PLL

pegleg2.JPG

A unfinished pegleg

pegleg1.JPG

Unfinished pegleg 2

pegleg2.JPG

Seldom Seen Slims hat

pegleg1.JPG

Bill Keys ( from Keys ranch at Joshua Tree Nat'l Park ) saddle

Slim1.JPG

Harry at Ft Oliver

Keys1.JPG

Harry with a finished pegleg

Attachments

• harry51.jpg
    harry51.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 213
  • glho05.jpg
    glho05.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 218

Calculatin Cal

Greenie
Jun 9, 2011
N. San Diego
lol I just signed up after lurking for months just to say awesome post and "find". I love all the old Oliver stuff the Desert rat scrapbook started it all for me.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Pegleg is one of the most interesting tales around. It's funny that no matter how many deniers abound and sometimes against all reason and logic, most of us still have the hope of one day finding this elusive treasure. Posts like this, even though the legs were meant to mislead, still re-sparks my interest in good ol' Pegleg. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Guys....
Here are some more pixs.....

Enjoy
PLL

harryspouch.JPG

Harry smoked Bull Durham and this was his last pouch

harry1.JPG

Harry's Keys

glho06.jpg

Harry and his 29 Ford

gibsoncane.JPG

Capt Gibsons cane " last of the Death Valley Teamsters "

youngharry.JPG

Young Harry Oliver during his Hollywood days.....

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
well, I'll try to do some research and find out where they've been found. Maybe there's a pattern, or a certain area the guy planted them in.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want his pipe!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread