The stunning conclusion of unknown ring find: Does platinum oxidize?

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to thank everbody for their input. I have learned a lot in the last week. When I first found my ring I thought I had junk, next I thought it was silver, and then I thought it was platinum. After more input and research I then thought I had silver again, and then junk again (no thanks to the idiots at Tiffany's in Mall of Millenia Orlando.) I pulled out my old chemistry textbooks, ran an experiment, and when all else failed...went to a Pawn Shop.

The stamp 950 almost exclusively means platinum. It can mean other things but this is very uncommon. So why didn't I believe my ring was platinum? Answer: platinum does not tarnish(oxidize) and my ring was oxidized. Most searches on the internet will tell you that gold and platinum do not oxidize. This is only partially true. Platnium does not oxidize at normal air or water temperatures. Thus, I could not have platinum, right? Wrong... PV = nRT or pressure x volume = moles x constant x temperature. When applying this to chemical reactions one can assume that as pressure increases then temperature decreases. So, where in the world can one find high enough pressures to get platinum to oxidize? Answer: at the bottom of the ocean.

So, platinum can be oxidized (tarnished) and exist in the tarnished state. Here is a link to Platinum(II)Oxide or PtO2:
Platinum Oxide | Platinum Oxide

One can convert platinum oxide back to platinum by cleaning and soaking it in household ammonium, which I did. After doing all this research I took my ring a pawn shop where the attendant was thoroughly confused and convinced it was not platinum. She called the manager, who then called the owner, who then called the person they send to melt the metal. After running some basic tests in the shop they offered me half-market value for platinum at a ring weight of 9.6grams....I turned them down.

End result: my first ring find was platinum, yeah!!!
View attachment 658366 View attachment 658365

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel vindicated. And yes, I have seen platinum that needed polishing(a friend's diving watch) and it was a bear to clean. Once again, way to go.

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! BUT 9.6 grams? Platinum is heavy. Unless you have really tiny fingers that ring should weigh a lot more. Just an observation. I hope it is in fact plat because that would be a very cool find.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I have no idea what you have? I have, however, seen gold take on a rust color, or tarnish. I've also seen some low grade 10k and lower discolor around the impurities of the added metals. What is really odd to me is that none of the precious metal buyers/refineries I just checked even show a 950 option on any of the precious metal calculators they offer. So if it is platinum it must be a rare standard. :dontknow: But you would think someone out there would definitely be able to positively I.D. the ring. But if it tested platinum, well......must be platinum then. Interesting mystery for sure.

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a small ring. I think the photos are decieving...I can't even get it around my pinky.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin, If you really think your ring is PLAT. Heat it with a cutting tourch ,if it melts it's silver ,if it doesn't and you can get it white hot without meltting it's PLAT.You can't get a cutting tourch hot enough to melt PLAT.and as far as Platinum Oxide it boils at 450 degress

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very interesting info , Crispin!

And congratulations on a terrific find!

Lorraine

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Nice find. Congratulations!!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup! what you said!............lol HH

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the faith man..... if the pawn shop said it Pl then you would think they have a way to know. Ive not heard you mention a jewelery store. Wow Ron when in doubt. bust out the ole torch.

Dew

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Congratulations!!

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
wow, that ended so well - happy to be wrong about it being silver :)

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a test kit on line for 20 dollars,it tests plat gold and silver,you should look into one.:icon_thumleft:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update. Platinum, wow! Again, congrats on a terrific find.

I have tiny fingers...hint, hint...:laughing9:

Anita

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions