The Texas State Capitol (A few Pics)

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Just to break the Hurricane Ike thread cycle and throw up some history -

I have been to the Capitol before but my wifes uncle is a Lobbiest and gave us a really awesome tour of the capitol today and it was just amazing. I took many pictures but just wanted to throw a few on here.

I asked him how long it would take to get nailed if I pulled out an MD, He said I would be tackled before I shut the truck door.

The Texas State Capitol, located in Austin, Texas, is the fourth building to serve as the seat of Texas government. It houses the chambers of the Texas State Legislature and the office of the Governor of Texas. Originally designed by Elijah E. Myers, it was constructed from 1882–88 under the direction of civil engineer Lindsay Walker, and a $75 million underground extension was completed in 1993. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and recognized as a National Historic Landmark in 1986. It is the largest State Capitol building, but smaller than the National Capitol in Washington, D.C.[1]

Attachments

• IMG_0716.JPG
    IMG_0716.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 203
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Me and the little guy, Its hard to get a 4 year old to be interested in history but I was amazed that he actually liked looking at the things around. I hope he gets my passion for history.

Out on the front Lawn

Attachments

• IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 204
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
This is an unbelievable painting of the Santa Anna surrender -

Attachments

• IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 208
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
The Texas State cemetery is one of the most amazing sites I have been to in many years. Stephen F. Austin is buried here, A picture of his grave.

They excavated many of the civil war soldiers in there years back to help expand. Most all were in old wooden boxes and a lot of pride went into a rebury I was told. There are many, many civil war soldiers buried there.

Attachments

• IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 203

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Awesome pics Jason! Thanks so much for sharing some with us along with the history. Toooooo cool!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread