The times are a changing

TEGlover

Jan 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back some years ago I was sitting with Al Reser in the Junction. His little dog had finally settled down and Al was talking about the time he spent at Tortilla Ranch with Whoolie Bacon.

Al had returned from a day of Dutch Hunting. He was telling Whoolie about his day in general terms. Whoolie listened, shook his head and said, “Al all you Dutch Hunters are crazy. Why don’t all of you who know something get around a table, get it all out in the open and get the thing found?”

Al looked at Whoolie and said, “There would be the biggest silence you ever heard.” How times have changed.

And it looks like they may be changing again. I spent a very pleasant afternoon this past Sunday with Ryan at the Road Runner in New River. Over lunch we talked Stone Maps, Tumlinson family history and I had the privilege of talking with a member of the Tumlinson family—a very nice person with whom I have talked before. Ryan, however, was too professional and pleasant, and he brought to the meeting too many things of interest—for you see an hour meeting slipped into pretty much all afternoon and I still had to get back to Prescott. But the delay was worth it.

Now we have the internet and what happens there is something that neither Al Reser would believe nor any of the old time Dutch Hunters understand—let alone believe.

Thomas

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Back some years ago I was sitting with Al Reser in the Junction. His little dog had finally settled down and Al was talking about the time he spent at Tortilla Ranch with Whoolie Bacon.

Al had returned from a day of Dutch Hunting. He was telling Whoolie about his day in general terms. Whoolie listened, shook his head and said, “Al all you Dutch Hunters are crazy. Why don’t all of you who know something get around a table, get it all out in the open and get the thing found?”

Al looked at Whoolie and said, “There would be the biggest silence you ever heard.” How times have changed.

And it looks like they may be changing again. I spent a very pleasant afternoon this past Sunday with Ryan at the Road Runner in New River. Over lunch we talked Stone Maps, Tumlinson family history and I had the privilege of talking with a member of the Tumlinson family—a very nice person with whom I have talked before. Ryan, however, was too professional and pleasant, and he brought to the meeting too many things of interest—for you see an hour meeting slipped into pretty much all afternoon and I still had to get back to Prescott. But the delay was worth it.

Now we have the internet and what happens there is something that neither Al Reser would believe nor any of the old time Dutch Hunters understand—let alone believe.

Thomas

Thomas,

Good to see you posting. You have so much to add on the positive side of Whoolie's suggestion. Your books share so much good information, that it's really almost like sitting around a table and sharing what you know. Trouble is, there's no give and take follow up. In truth, I have heard of, and participated in many such round table discussions. "Silence" is never the major sound heard. I believe there is a once a week coffee klatch that takes place in Apache Junction. Never been at one, but am assured it does take place.

IMHO, Whoolie's suggestion is manifested in the annual Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous. If you listen carefully, you may just pick up a number of helpful suggestions, as well as areas of interest. The next Rendezvous starts on Oct. 21st.

Look forward to seeing you,

Joe

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

Thomas

i agree ...recently ryan has taken me to a few spots in the mountains..i think everyone will be pleasantly surprised when ryan's research goes public

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
i agree ...recently ryan has taken me to a few spots in the mountains..i think everyone will be pleasantly surprised when ryan's research goes public

I look forward to that and hope that whatever is presented is objective and allows each of us to draw our own conclusions.

jmr

Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look forward to that and hope that whatever is presented is objective and allows each of us to draw our own conclusions.

new member here, actually it's my first post, and it's great to see people still looking for the Lost Dutchmans Mine. I am 60 years old now and lived in Florida for many,many years. But when I was a young kid, we lived in Phoenix, up until i was around 10. i remember my dad taking me out to the Superstitions and telling me the story.......we never had a detector but we'd go tromping around in the mountains and always so excited thinking the mine was always just around the next bend...... that would have been in the 1960's....I imagine things have really changed a tremendous amount out there now...... but I still think about it all the time, it was a beautiful place to me and some of the best father & son times i can recall.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New River has been mentioned previously, during discussions revolving around the stones, as well as Harry's gold bar.
Did the Tumlinson name appear on a number of mining claims filed within that district ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread