The Trash and the Cash

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
The day began in despair. Since receiving two hot tips last weekend, the week had been spent daydreaming about great finds. An empty lot in the country was said to be the site of a grand old plantation style house. Across the highway in the large field and the woods beyond was rumored to be 2 or 3 forlorn chimneys where old farm houses once stood. A search earlier in the week had discovered the current owners of both properties. Calls were made on Thursday and Friday, and Permission Denied! Permission Denied!

The grand old house site was destined to be the private hunting grounds of the owner's wife. She was considering the purchase of a detector in the future. Tips and suggestions were made, and hopefully, a new MDer will find great things on this spot. The owner of the field and woods has had trouble with hunters and 4 wheelers, and did not wish for anyone to be on his property. Although permission was denied, hopefully, he will remember that it was a detectorist who politely asked to search his land.

Hasty morning research on the internet located several promising old church and school locations. After much thought, deliberation, and coffee, one historical church site was selected. Upon arrival, it was found that no good parking place off the highway existed, and the site was heavily overgrown. No apparent opening was seen in the old chain link fence across the front of the site. The day was cloudy but warm, and not being properly dressed to fight brush and green briars, the decision was made to save this site for another day.

Determined to hunt somewhere, the journey was made to a park near the town's middle school. Having read much written by others about the great woodchip finds, the playground area and the adjacent ball field was searched. Although no fantastic treasures were found, I guarantee that the two young girls that were fascinated by what I was doing will become future treasure hunters.

Mike

Attachments

• Trash.JPG
    Trash.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 294
  • cash.JPG
    cash.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt the grassy easement across the street from his property everyday after work until he talks to you and lets you dig his land. Watching you out therewill get the best of him sooner or later. Maybe the three of you can become hunting buddies.

Laater...

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Looks like you have your detector dialed in.

Great job. If you keep digging like that your next great find is right around the cornor.

HH

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep on "pluggin" along

T

TreasureTales

Did you offer to show the lady the ropes of using a detector? How to dig so that no one will ever know you were there? Explain the equipment a successful treasure hunter needs? Take up hunting and show her how the two activities coincide? She will need a hunting buddy, you could have offered your services. Bummer, but at least you went about it the correct way.

Better luck in 2007!!!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Good clad count there. I am usually in one of two moods..........search carefully for silver or go on a clad hunting bonanza. Keep your research going and your options wide.....you never know what is really a good spot until you've tried it.

OP
OP
Trash Digger

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
TreasureTales said:
Did you offer to show the lady the ropes of using a detector? How to dig so that no one will ever know you were there? Explain the equipment a successful treasure hunter needs? Take up hunting and show her how the two activities coincide? She will need a hunting buddy, you could have offered your services. Bummer, but at least you went about it the correct way.

Better luck in 2007!!!

Offered as part of the tips and suggestions. I also told the husband, who is the one I talked to, that either one of them could call me anytime in the future. I described some of the more interesting things I had found in an attempt to generate more enthusiam, but he didn't seem to be interested in an immediate get together.

Mike

T

TreasureTales

Trash Digger said:
TreasureTales said:

Better luck in 2007!!!

Offered as part of the tips and suggestions. I also told the husband, who is the one I talked to, that either one of them could call me anytime in the future. I described some of the more interesting things I had found in an attempt to generate more enthusiam, but he didn't seem to be interested in an immediate get together.

Mike

GOOD TRY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread