The Treasure Hunter

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Mr. Grist:

How kind of you to summarize my almost sixty years as frustration of dreams unfullfilled - based on your extensive knowledge of my life and work, of course.

Unfortunately, it is my personal opinion that you know no more about human nature than you do about successful treasure hunting.

I have been buying, selling and collecting treasure hunting books, pamphlets, maps and charts for over forty years, man and boy. I have published dozens of articles about treasure hunting. Some of these debunked famous treasures. In the mid-1970's, long before the hulk was found, I published documented proof that there was not a gold payroll aboard the Brother Jonathan when she came to grief. I wrote documented articles about the lack of treasure on the Yankee Blade and the wreck of the Rio in San Francisco Bay.

Why?

Certainly not because I didn't choose to go diving for them (granting that two out of the three are off limits). It was because I believe in the truth. One thing I learned many years ago is that over 95% of treasure hunting literature is simply not true. There are the compliers who collect the work of previous writers, sometimes managing to re-write it a bit, and publish it as their own without attribution or further research. Then there are those who claim to be treasure hunters - starting with the men's pulp magazines with the articles about finding the lost cave of Nazi gold on the island of bare-breasted women. Their books claim extensive research in dusty and musty archives, desert campfire conversations with old timers, trips to mountain shacks to glean local knowlege, as well as huge successes finding lost mines and recovering lost treasure - yet their books never seem to show the results of such tremendous efforts...

Neither of these two categories manage to yield much useful information.

Your website suggests Jane Dollinger is a reliable source. The wife of Ken Krippene - author of the very popular and extremely unreliable Buried Treasure (New York: 1951) - I don't find her particularly helpful at all. Although I do find myself wondering if she was the artist's model for the drawing on page 70.

We can certainly agree that grave robbing is wrong. But I must then ask why you call Howard Jennings a "wonderful person?"

I'll put my money on authors such as Karl von Mueller, Deek Gladson, Ed Bartholomew, Jesse (Ed) Rascoe, Bob Nesmith, and a host of others. I can rattle off a hundred titles that provide more solid, useful, reliable, practical information for the average treasure hunter than the opus penned by Messrs. Jennings and Moore. I can name several works of fiction that are much better, as well.

I do find it curious that when you obtained permission to reprint on your website a sizeable chunk of Leonard Clark's book the agreement didn't include the requirement to cite the original source. Based on my limited knowledge of copyright law, copyright holders generally require such information be included to keep the copyright intact. Although I certainly do understand that "Reprinted from Leonard Clark's The Rivers Ran East (New York: 1953) - reprinted by permission of the copyright holder" lacks the exotic aura of mystery found in "From the Inquitos' Diary of Leonard Clark - August 15, 1946."

Same for the Victor von Hagen material (is that a Samuel Bryant map, by the way?).

Some people have a great deal of trouble handling the truth. But I have never understood why such folks place the blame on those of us who do our level best to bring it to light.

Good luck to all,

~Fred Hollister
"The Old Bookaroo" & "The Old Bookaneer"
BOOKS of ADVENTURE

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Bookaroo said:
.....I'll put my money on authors such as Karl von Mueller, Deek Gladson, Ed Bartholomew, Jesse (Ed) Rascoe, Bob Nesmith, and a host of others.............
~Fred Hollister
BOOKS of ADVENTURE

This has the feel of a GREAT thread!
Old Bookaroo wrote: "I'll put my money on authors such as Karl von Mueller, Deek Gladson, Ed Bartholomew, Jesse (Ed) Rascoe, Bob Nesmith, and a host of others."

As a fan and purchaser of all of Karl von Mueller (Carl Miller)'s books and gold recovery plans, my impression was that Karl had a great imagination and writing ability, but that his 'facts' often were less than accurate. For example, the bloviation and misdirections by Karl regarding the Lue Treasure. I recall an online communication by Paul Tainter, who took over NPG/Exanimo/Research Unlimited that Karl was a 'good story teller' and care should be taken with stories and implications....I also recall that Charles Garrett was providing a lot of assistance with the publications by von Mueller, and that the Garrett line of detectors was always highly touted in NPG and other publications (to the exclusion of White's).

I had the impression that Deek Gladson was a nom de plume for Carl Miller....the writing style was very similar. I could easily be in error on this impression.

I appreciate Stan Grist's post and Old Bookaroo's reply, and anticipate a great 'campfire' thread, from which all treasure hunters can benefit.
BTW: Stan has a great web site http://www.stangrist.com/adventures.htm

The Treasure Hunter can also be purchased inexpensively on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Hunter-Robin-Moore/dp/0139305297 and http://www.stangrist.com/ebooks.htm#Hunter

:coffee2:

sdgrist

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2005
Dear Mr. Hollister,

I will begin by saying that I deeply respect your lifelong work of researching and publishing the truth about treasure hunting fallacies and untruths. I completely agree that the vast majority of treasure literature is either purposely misleading or that it is published by people who simply combine and repeat the inaccurate writings of others.

It seems that you have therefore had a fulfilling and productive life. My hat is off to you for that too. It is rare to find.

May I then please ask you why you think that The Treasure Hunter falls into the category of being misleading or deceitful? I also repeat my previous question to you that went unanswered, "Have you ever been to any of the sites in the book?" How do you know that the book is not accurate?

Once again, I have been to the sites in the book over a period of 20 years. I have tracked down the people mentioned in the book. Even their names were all the exact same as in the book.

I started off by going to Honduras in 1980s. In Honduras I visited the site of Old Olancho, near Juticalpa. The ruins were still unexcavated.
Then I went to the Paulaya River on the Mosquito coast. I went up the river in a dugout canoe with a group of Mosquito Indians. I arrived at the tiny village of Las Champas and immediately met Howard's main assistant who had helped him with the dredging operation many years before. He went into great detail of the months they spent working together there. Everything matched with what is in the book. I also discovered the source of the Paulaya River gold, an ancient river channel above Las Champas.

Years later, I came to Ecuador. My first visit was to Coaque where I met Atahualpa (mentioned in the book). For the last 20 years, Atahualpa has been one of the best friends I have ever had. After showing me the locations of Howard's old camps and workings, Atahualpa took me to the Conquista River. No gringo had ever been to the Conquista River site since Howard was there.

Coaque, the Conquista River and the entire area for dozens of miles in all directions remains unstudied and unexcavated to this day. It is an explorer's dream. Mr. Hollister, I guess you have never been to Coaque either or Atahualpa would have told me.

I'm currently writing a book about 2 decades of following in Howard Jenning's footsteps and the amazing things and places I have discovered in the process. Of course, you will likely call my book rubbish and deceitful too.

So, in the spirit of telling the truth, I had to challenge you on your assessment of The Treasure Hunter. While I am absolutely sure you are an amazing expert on many other aspects of history and treasure hunting, unfortunately, you are no expert on Howard Jenning's book.

Is Jane Dollinger a reliable source? Apparently, you think not. Ok, I'll take just a little more time to tell you another story.

In my humble opinion, the true test of a book's veracity is to actually go to the places described in the book, talk to the locals, study the geology and history, and then make an actual physical investigation. Some people believe that just reading books and maps is enough. I disagree. I like to go get my hands dirty.

Inca Gold, chapter 6, A Fortune in Emeralds. Have you ever been to the archives of the Director of Mines in Quito, Ecuador? I have; dozens of times. The key to success in this story is the "River of Blood" mentioned by Jane on page 89.

If you haven't physically been to the area, you probably would not be able to figure out the modern day name of this river. It was called the River of Blood because every time it rains hard, the iron-rich clay at the headwaters bleeds into the river turning it into a blood red color for miles below.

The modern day name of this river is the Bermeja. It is not far from the border with Colombia. It is a dangerous place because of the Colombian FARC. I went there.

I obtained emeralds from some Cofan natives who live on the river. I have a GIA appraisal of the emeralds that states that they are authentic, but not from the mines near Muzo in Colombia. They are unique. I know exactly where the black, crumbly slate, barren hills are, in the midst of the jungle. As soon as tensions with the FARC problem subside, I'm returning. If you care to join me, I sincerely will be happy to take you there. I'll be publishing the documentation in a new web site I am creating this month.

Inca gold, Chapter 12, Gold from the Files. Have you ever been to the Nangaritza River Mr Hollister? I have dredged it. It is one of the richest rivers in the world. I'll take you there too if you wish to try to prove me wrong. I have discovered extremely valuable information throughout the entire book, Inca Gold. I know this because I have physically proved it by visiting the sites. Have you?

So, you don't think I know much about successful treasure hunting Mr. Hollister? I guess you are certainly entitled to your opinion, especially because you believe in the truth. I believe in the truth too. Perhaps there are different versions of the truth, who really knows.

Please do not take this post in a negative way Mr. Hollister. It is just that I have to stand up for the truth as I know it when I see someone make negative statements about things they know nothing about. I would love to see your collections someday.

Sincerely,
Stan Grist
[email protected]

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sdgrist said:
Dear Mr. Hollister,

I will begin by saying that I deeply respect your lifelong work of researching and publishing the truth about treasure hunting fallacies and untruths. I completely agree that the vast majority of treasure literature is either purposely misleading or that it is published by people who simply combine and repeat the inaccurate writings of others.

It seems that you have therefore had a fulfilling and productive life. My hat is off to you for that too. It is rare to find.

May I then please ask you why you think that The Treasure Hunter falls into the category of being misleading or deceitful? I also repeat my previous question to you that went unanswered, "Have you ever been to any of the sites in the book?" How do you know that the book is not accurate?

Once again, I have been to the sites in the book over a period of 20 years. I have tracked down the people mentioned in the book. Even their names were all the exact same as in the book.

I started off by going to Honduras in 1980s. In Honduras I visited the site of Old Olancho, near Juticalpa. The ruins were still unexcavated.
Then I went to the Paulaya River on the Mosquito coast. I went up the river in a dugout canoe with a group of Mosquito Indians. I arrived at the tiny village of Las Champas and immediately met Howard's main assistant who had helped him with the dredging operation many years before. He went into great detail of the months they spent working together there. Everything matched with what is in the book. I also discovered the source of the Paulaya River gold, an ancient river channel above Las Champas.

Years later, I came to Ecuador. My first visit was to Coaque where I met Atahualpa (mentioned in the book). For the last 20 years, Atahualpa has been one of the best friends I have ever had. After showing me the locations of Howard's old camps and workings, Atahualpa took me to the Conquista River. No gringo had ever been to the Conquista River site since Howard was there.

Coaque, the Conquista River and the entire area for dozens of miles in all directions remains unstudied and unexcavated to this day. It is an explorer's dream. Mr. Hollister, I guess you have never been to Coaque either or Atahualpa would have told me.

I'm currently writing a book about 2 decades of following in Howard Jenning's footsteps and the amazing things and places I have discovered in the process. Of course, you will likely call my book rubbish and deceitful too.

So, in the spirit of telling the truth, I had to challenge you on your assessment of The Treasure Hunter. While I am absolutely sure you are an amazing expert on many other aspects of history and treasure hunting, unfortunately, you are no expert on Howard Jenning's book.

Is Jane Dollinger a reliable source? Apparently, you think not. Ok, I'll take just a little more time to tell you another story.

In my humble opinion, the true test of a book's veracity is to actually go to the places described in the book, talk to the locals, study the geology and history, and then make an actual physical investigation. Some people believe that just reading books and maps is enough. I disagree. I like to go get my hands dirty.

Inca Gold, chapter 6, A Fortune in Emeralds. Have you ever been to the archives of the Director of Mines in Quito, Ecuador? I have; dozens of times. The key to success in this story is the "River of Blood" mentioned by Jane on page 89.

If you haven't physically been to the area, you probably would not be able to figure out the modern day name of this river. It was called the River of Blood because every time it rains hard, the iron-rich clay at the headwaters bleeds into the river turning it into a blood red color for miles below.

The modern day name of this river is the Bermeja. It is not far from the border with Colombia. It is a dangerous place because of the Colombian FARC. I went there.

I obtained emeralds from some Cofan natives who live on the river. I have a GIA appraisal of the emeralds that states that they are authentic, but not from the mines near Muzo in Colombia. They are unique. I know exactly where the black, crumbly slate, barren hills are, in the midst of the jungle. As soon as tensions with the FARC problem subside, I'm returning. If you care to join me, I sincerely will be happy to take you there. I'll be publishing the documentation in a new web site I am creating this month.

Inca gold, Chapter 12, Gold from the Files. Have you ever been to the Nangaritza River Mr Hollister? I have dredged it. It is one of the richest rivers in the world. I'll take you there too if you wish to try to prove me wrong. I have discovered extremely valuable information throughout the entire book, Inca Gold. I know this because I have physically proved it by visiting the sites. Have you?

So, you don't think I know much about successful treasure hunting Mr. Hollister? I guess you are certainly entitled to your opinion, especially because you believe in the truth. I believe in the truth too. Perhaps there are different versions of the truth, who really knows.

Please do not take this post in a negative way Mr. Hollister. It is just that I have to stand up for the truth as I know it when I see someone make negative statements about things they know nothing about. I would love to see your collections someday.

Sincerely,
Stan Grist
[email protected]

Wow!

Talk about substantive post....

Thank you Stan!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Mr. Grist:

One thing we can all be sure about - there are always at least two sides to every story:

Roatan Odyssey, by Anne Jennings Brown

"This is a true story of love, courage, treachery and determination that reads like the finest adventure fiction. Nurtured in a select boarding school, with a degree in art and a privileged London society lifestyle, the author re-marries to a Texan adventurer. She finds herself treasure hunting in a magnificent, uninhabited harbour on Roatan in the Bay Islands of Honduras, whereupon she designs and helps build a home on the site of an old pirate fort, accessible only by sea. Anne believes she has at last found true happiness until her handsome new husband, Howard Jennings, unwilling to share his treasure trove, tries to kill her during their search for Inca riches in the jungles of Ecuador. But Jennings has met his match in the upper-class girl who could swim, sail, ride, shoot and fight with the best and the worst of them, and then dress for dinner. When Howard is deported, Anne is left to live alone on Roatan in her now-derelict home, ravaged by a powerful hurricane, with only local wildlife and Moller, the resident ghost of a buccaneer, for company. With Moller s help, Anne survives the Caribbean elements, lost love, threats, arrest and interrogation, compounded by suicides, murder and disaster."

for more informatin please see the source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roatan-Odyssey-Anne-Jennings-Brown/dp/0955760003

Good luck to all,

~Fred Hollister
"The Old Bookaneer"

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Bookaroo said:
Mr. Grist:

One thing we can all be sure about - there are always at least two sides to every story:

Roatan Odyssey, by Anne Jennings Brown

"This is a true story of love, courage, treachery and determination that reads like the finest adventure fiction. Nurtured in a select boarding school, with a degree in art and a privileged London society lifestyle, the author re-marries to a Texan adventurer. She finds herself treasure hunting in a magnificent, uninhabited harbour on Roatan in the Bay Islands of Honduras, whereupon she designs and helps build a home on the site of an old pirate fort, accessible only by sea. Anne believes she has at last found true happiness until her handsome new husband, Howard Jennings, unwilling to share his treasure trove, tries to kill her during their search for Inca riches in the jungles of Ecuador. But Jennings has met his match in the upper-class girl who could swim, sail, ride, shoot and fight with the best and the worst of them, and then dress for dinner. When Howard is deported, Anne is left to live alone on Roatan in her now-derelict home, ravaged by a powerful hurricane, with only local wildlife and Moller, the resident ghost of a buccaneer, for company. With Moller s help, Anne survives the Caribbean elements, lost love, threats, arrest and interrogation, compounded by suicides, murder and disaster."

for more informatin please see the source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roatan-Odyssey-Anne-Jennings-Brown/dp/0955760003

Good luck to all,

~Fred Hollister
"The Old Bookaneer"

Sounds like an interesting story, whether replete with fiction or absolutely true.

I'll probably purchase her adventure novel, but will have my critical detector tuned.

I don't see the late Howard Jennings being capable of attempted or actual murder, and perhaps this is just an interpretation provided by the book reviewer

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Bookaroo said:
Mr. Grist:

One thing we can all be sure about - there are always at least two sides to every story:..................
Good luck to all,

~Fred Hollister
"The Old Bookaneer"

Fred,

Appreciate your contributions to this thread.

Mr. Grist, with alacrity, took time to provide a synopsis of his research and adventures that you, perhaps unintentionally, impugned in your previous post. If you can not refute his post, I think you owe him an apology. The citation of Ms Brown's novel, as a rebuttal to Mr. Grist's post, is not even in the ball park, but is nevertheless interesting as a footnote. The libel of the late Howard Jennings is unfortunate, and Ms Brown will have to look herself in the mirror as she attempts to sell her book and life. I have invited Ms Brown to peruse this thread and comment.

I am now re-reading The Treasure Hunter, by Robin Moore and Howard Jennings, with renewed interest and credulity, thanks to this thread and the contributions of Treasurenet.com posters. I plan to also check out Stan Grist's website, due to his taking the time to document and challenge within this thread. http://www.stangrist.com/

Great site!

Exanimo!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
chirper97:

Are you suggesting that Mr. Grist is entitled to his opinions and I am not entitled to mine?

You characterize Ms. Brown's work as a novel. Why is that? The review I quoted states that it is a true story.

As for the late Howard Jennings, I am more than happy to let his book speak for itself. As for your statement that I "libeled" him, please be so kind as to point that out to me. May I remind you that opinions are protected speech, as are most critical reviews. And truth is generally considered to be the perfect defense. You suggest that if Mr. Jennings wanted to murder someone he would have - based on your knowledge of the man. Are you defending or accusing him?

And if you are going to throw around accusations such as libel - it is my personal opinion that you should use your own name to do it and not hide behind the flimsy veil of Internet anonymity. Some people out there take this sort of thing seriously.

I noted you signed off with "Exanimo." Were you associated with the late Karl von Mueller?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
There may be some folks who read this Topic and have not yet seen a copy of the book in question.

The address of Mr. Grist's website has already been posted. Read Chapter 4 for yourself. Howard Jennings takes off into the jungle with a beautiful young woman who apparently has fallen in love with him at first sight - or, at the very least, fallen for his charm and tales of treasure hunting. In such a conservative country she leaves a good job at the local bank (a conservative institution - and a position a young lady of that day would be most fortunate to have secured) on one day's notice to join a complete stranger on a dangerous expedition to bandit-infested (sorry - it's always "bandito" in this sort of book) territory. Not to mention the head-hunting Spanish-speaking Indians...

Mr. Jennings happily describes simply heading into the bush and plundering the first graves and tombs he can find. Permits? Permission? He doesn't need any stinking permits or permission. His local friend - quite properly - objects to this behavior. Perhaps when he was suaving her he failed to mention that he was a grave robber. However, I suggest you read it for yourself. And pay particular attention, if you will, to where Mr. Jennings writes:

I saw I wasn't going to win this argument, so clearly it was time to quit. "Look, Anita," I said, "would it make you feel better if I worked with your government?"

She smiled and nodded. "Okay," I said. "If I find anything, I'll take it to your government and let them decide what I can keep. They can pay me for whatever they want."

That seemed to pacify her. I knew I couldn't do any such thing, but I would have to continue her education another time.
[emphasis added]

What a wonderful fellow, indeed! He does manage to loot some graves - but then he must get his plunder out of the country. Mr. Jennings writes:

I was now faced with the inevitable problem of how to smuggle Ecuadorian gold artifacts out of antiquities-conscious Colombia.

Call me old-fashioned - this isn't treasure hunting in my book. People go to jail for this - and it is my opinion that they should. Treasure hunting is tough enough without this sort of activity. There is a difference between being a ghoul and being a treasue hunter.

Finally, on a minor historical note, in the same chapter Mr. Jennings includes:

In 1848 the old sourdough panners discovered gold at Sutter’s Mill, California,...

I'm tempted to suggest panning sourdough would produce a soggy mess. I'm sure, however, he's trying to sling the lingo and sound like an old hand. Unfortunately, there weren't any "old sourdough panners" or gold panners or gold prospectors in California in '48. Gold was discovered by accident by James Marshall at Sutter's Mill. Until that amazing event, there weren't any old or young people looking for it. Sourdough, by the way, was a gift from Basque sheepherders who came to California somewhat later.

Is this a major error? No. But it certainly is an insight to the author's experience.

Again - let the book by Mr. Jennings and Mr. Moore speak (or, perhaps I should say, read) for itself.

Good luck to all,

~Fred Hollister

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have invited Ms Anne Brown, the author of the controversial Roatan Odyssey, to visit Treasurenet.com, read this thread, and to post her response.

As for you Bookaroo, I merely posted that you had not, in any reasonable manner, answered Mr. Stan Grist's substantive post, and that you should issue an apology for your very negative posts.

Ex animo; and hope to see you in the field!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
chirper97:

Have you read The Treasure Hunter? Howard Jennings was following the ghost of his claimed ancestor. So he believed in ghosts, spirits, Dupees and the rest. Now you make fun of his widow who has the same beliefs? And do so while you continue to hide your name?

How about responding to Chapter 4 of the book? I said grave robbing was wrong. Period. Mr. Grist spoke up for Howard Jennings as a wonderful guy. I quoted the book to show Howad Jennings was a self-confessed liar and a thief. You said I libeled him. I asked you to point it out and you didn't. Now you say I should apologize for quoting the book?

I said I don't believe the story of the beautiful young woman falling under Mr. Jennings' spell and leaving her work on a day's notice to traipse off on a dangerous treasure hunting expedition. Guess Mr. Jennings didn't get around to writing about her dark eyes flashing in the light of the candle stub thrust into an empty rum bottle, sitting on a packing crate in the rustic camp...eyes that were pools of mystrey, hiding the secrets of four hundred years...her proud bosom thrusting against the taunt fabric of her khaki jungle shirt...

He did manage to pack most of the rest into his tale, however.

Do you support people heading off into the jungle and plundering the first burial mound they can find? Is that your concept of treasure hunting?

Instead of tossing off anonymous accusations and long-distance analysis, perhaps you could actually discuss the topic and refute my points about the book?

Good luck to all,

~Fred Hollister
"The Old Bookaneer" & "The Old Bookaroo"

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bookaroo,

I think enough 'back and forth' has been posted by us on this thread. Food for thought, and plenty of good reading to go around!

Exanimo, and keep those pages turning!

:thumbsup:

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
explorer said:
I just finished the book The Treasure Hunter and it was a great read. I could hardly put it down. .....

In National Prospector's Gazette, Vol. 9, No. 3, December-January 1977, Karl von Mueller contributed this review of The Treasure Hunter by Robin Moore and Howard Jennings.

"The Treasure Hunter, by Howard Jennings, ix-261 pages, preface, contents, photos, maps. Cloth, $8.95. Prentice-Hall, 1974. Co-authored by Robin Moore, this book covers 14 years in the life of a professional treasure hunter and adventurer, and it makes exciting, interesting, and educational reading. Some of the valuable artifacts and relics that Jennings found are illustrated and there are a couple of fascinating maps.

Since most of his reported operations are in the Caribbean area and South America, following in his footsteps will be impossible for most people, but he does set up some good possible locations for those who are interested.

Very few of the known personalities in treasure, today, can match Jennings' history. This is a book that every sincere TH-er should own and read, and then re-read.

It is quite obvious that some of the stories have been shaded and doctored up a little, but it is still a recommended book. To his everlasting credit, Jennings made his marks in treasure before he became a public figure. Co-author Moore is also the author of The French Connection and the Green Berets. Need more be said?
".......Karl von Mueller

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
chirper97:

I'm still waiting for your response regarding Chapter 4 of The Treasure Hunter. Howard Jennings writes that he is a liar and a thief. Yet you still regard this to be worthwhile book?

You've certainly proved yourself to be a adept user of the cut-and-paste feature.

KvonM was entitled to his opinion. I would certainly agree with his review that "It is quite obvious that some of the stories have been shaded and doctored up a little..." As they say, to put it mildly...

I would also suggest KvonM must have changed his mind about the value of this book. Otherwise, why can't it be found in Estee Conaster & Karl von Mueller's The Journals of El Dorado; Being a DESCRIPTIVE BIBLIOGRAPHY on Treasure and Subjects Pertaining Thereto, A Waybill to Discovery an Adventure (Dallas, Texas: 1977)? One thing we know for sure about Karl - he wasn't afraid to change his views when new information was presented.

Good luck to all,

~Fred

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who was Howard Jennings, The Treasure Hunter? The following is an ongoing mini-biography; sources include The Treasure Hunter, by Robin Moore and Howard Jennings, unless otherwise notated.

Born February 27, 1925, Tulsa Oklahoma.

Grew up in Texarkana, on the Texas side, the son of an oil wildcatter. Played high school basketball, but his real loves were hunting and fishing.

World War II, enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps, receiving his commission at 18, thanks to a just instituted accelerated training program, becoming the youngest aircraft commander in the 8th Air Force. Piloted a four engine Liberator bomber in the 329th Squadron of the 93rd Bomb Group. http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/b-24_liberator.pl

On February 6, 1945, while on his 25th mission, Howard's plane was shot down over Holland. He and his crew to bailed out. Howard was held as a prisoner of war until April, 1945, when he was liberated by Patton's Third Army at Moseburg, near Munich.

Returning the the United States, he enrolled at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in geology. Howard left college for personal reasons and became a roughneck in the oil fields.

His next position was flying a crop duster BT-13. http://www.warbirdalley.com/bt13.htm After 2 crashes, he left that job, moving to Tulsa, becoming a scout for Amerada Petroleum.

He was recalled to active Air Force duty in the Korean War, and was assigned to Kelly Field in Texas, flying C-47s for the Military Air Transport Service.

Leaving the Air Force in 1952, he became a member of the Amerada Land Department. This job took him to long explorations into Utah, Wyoming, and other parts of the Northwest. He took several trips into old ghost towns or prospector's settlements utilizing an army surplus mine detector. In South Pass, Wyoming, he ran his detector around the hearth of a burned out log cabin and got a strong signal. Howard dug and recovered 15 twenty dollar gold pieces, 153 silver dollars, and a a well preserved .41 Remington derringer.

Became head of the Land Department of Amerada.

From Tulsa he moved to Jamaica, and was involved in the formation of the Jamaica Air Service, the first commercial airline to run scheduled flights within Jamaica.

In Jamaica he met author Robin Moore in 1960.

Full time professional treasure hunter from that date.

Jennings died in a commercial airplane crash in Istanbul while on the trail of one of the greatest treasures of his career. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=ONG&sa=N

:coffee2:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
chirper97:

Your resume for Howard Jennings doesn't do him justice.

Where is his romantic role as an artifact and gold smugglar? His swashbuckling occupation as a huaquero?

Perhaps some day you'll get around to answering some of my questions I asked about Chapter 4 and your previous post...but I rather doubt it.

Good luck to all,

~Fred

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robin Moore, author of The Green Berets http://www.amazon.com/Green-Berets-Robin-Moore/dp/0517507145/ref=ed_oe_h co-author of The Treasure Hunter was provided with this funeral with military honors:

Ballad of the Green Beret (The sobriquet "Green Berets" was tagged by Robin Moore, and he co-wrote the Ballad, after undergoing grueling Green Beret training)
Here is a nice video of The Ballad of the Green Berets; Robin is not pictured in this video.

Thank you Robin Moore for your wonderful contributions, and condolences to his family and loved ones.

ex animo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Along with The Happy Hooker, unfortunately Mr. Moore was also the co-author of The Hunt for Bin Laden. He was thoroughly hoodwinked by a poseur - Google his name if you're interested in learning more about him. Since Mr. Moore recently passed away, I do not post this for any reason other than to cast some possible light on The Treasure Hunter.

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Moore - footnotes are from the original.

Shortly after the publication of The Hunt for Bin Laden, controversy arose over the veracity of the book, particularly regarding the involvement of Jack Idema. Idema, who was one of Moore's major sources, provided what later proved to be fabricated accounts of his exploits. In order to portray himself as having a greater role in the operation, Idema apparently went as far as to rewrite much of Moore's and Chris Thompson's text prior to publication. Special Forces soldiers who were on the mission (including those whom Moore interviewed) disputed Idema's claims.[1]

With Idema thus discredited, Moore eventually disavowed The Hunt for Bin Laden and the book remains out of print.[2] Despite the unfortunate fate of the book, Moore continues to enjoy the respect of the Special Forces community.[3]

Good luck to all,

~Fred

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Karl von Mueller: "This [The Treasure Hunter] is a book that every sincere TH-er should own and read, and then re-read" I disagree with second guessing Karl's review based upon one's own prejudice, negativity, or lack of treasure hunting experience.

Chapter 4 of The Treasure Hunter is thought provoking and could be a book all by itself. It is wonderfully written and is filled with information and fast paced real-life drama. Thank you Bookaroo for directing attention to this chapter.

Howard Jennings candidly shares with the reader his concerns about excavating remote and unknown Incan tombs to recover valuable and interesting artifacts. Removing treasures from the Incan tombs is a way of life for the indigenous people, and had been ongoing for many years. Jennings is obviously conflicted and in constant danger as he gets progressively deeper with a danger-fraught Peruvian operation. He learns that their plan includes killing him as soon as they learn how to operate the metal detectors.

He shares first hand experience of the sale of these artifacts to EAGER museum executives, and notes how much of many museums' holdings include artifacts and valuable objects obtained from 'illegal' or 'grey market' sources. This, of course, is denied or just ignored by so called authorities. http://www.elginism.com/20081126/1573/

The character Indiana Jones could have been modeled upon Howard Jennings. Handsome, adventurous, fearless, resourceful, and driven by a loving pursuit of antiquities, both characters inspire and challenge us to live adventurous lives. A counterpoint is illustrated by Dr. Oscar Muscarella, outspoken critic of the antiquities trade and the removal of artifacts from archaeological sites:

I wondered what I would do if I owned property that had an undiscovered pre-Columbian Incan tomb. Would I call authorities to excavate and remove the valuables? Or would I carefully and respectfully recover gold artifacts, research their origins, and personally donate the objects to a worthy museum?

How about metal detecting on a long forgotten battlefield? Is it ethical to remove artifacts from hallowed ground containing the remains and blood of fallen combatants? Excessive concern for sanctity of tombs, graves, skeletons, and any possible 'final resting' place could easily become a fetish, and make the entire Earth 'off limits' to exploration.

The pre-Columbian Incan, dying thousands of years ago supposedly ascended to 'other side'. The added pottery and jewelry was supposed to provide a more comfortable transition. Why should their ancient tomb get eternal protection? The Incan's spirit is in their heaven, the body simply decays into the earth.

The truth is that grave sites are routinely moved, disrupted and exhumed during highway and building construction. Should we make a loop around each grave when constructing interstate and county highways? Of course not.

What really is the difference between a tomb digger who has an archeological degree and a responsible treasure hunter who has spent years researching and discovering an ancient burial site? Doesn't it depend upon the individuals involved?

It is easy to cast dispersions and judgments upon others especially if one is not, himself, a treasure hunter. :wink:

It is more difficult to walk a mile in a treasure hunter's moccasins, and to understand their sacrifices, research, quandries, dangers, and rare fulfillment. :thumbsup:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
chirper97:

Mr. Jennings is "conflicted?" Hardly. He willingly lies to his beautiful local assistant because it will shut her up and she will then continue to assist him in his grave-robbing.

Mr. Jennings justifies his ghoulish behavior because he has a market for his finds (why doesn't he just sell drugs? EAGER customers who've purchased before!) and because others have done it before him?

Obviously among the many things you don't understand is the character of Indiana Jones. As a young lad he tries to save Coronado's Cross from a pothunter remarkably much like Jennings. Indiana Jones would hate Howard Jennings - Mr. Jennings is a looter.

You don't understand archaeology, either. Donating trinkets to museums really doesn't convey much information about the objects themselves. They are virtually worthless - once plundered from the tomb they offer little, if any, historical information.

"Walk a mile in his moccasins?" Please. I certainly wouldn't want to be in his moccasins, given his bragging about being a gold and artifact smugglar, liar and a thief.

Finally - while you continue to hide your own name - please share with the rest of us what you know about my activities as a treasure hunter. I'm certainly looking forward to reading about that.

Good luck to all,

~Fred Hollister

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions