The True Story of Victorio Peak

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took me most of two nights but I finished reading this fascinating and informative thread. I have no personal experience with Victorio Peak but I've been treasure hunting since I was 14 so I love all aspects of the hobby. I believe I know the answer to the questions about the "1861" date on the map. I suggest that interested members read Donald S. Frazier's excellent book: Blood & Treasure: Confederate Empire in the Southwest. 1861 was the year that the Confederacy initiated their Western Expansion Movement into southwest Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona with KGC and Texas Ranger soldiers. I also invite you to visit and view my Knights of the Golden Circle website where I share some of my 12 years of research into that organization.

Blood and Treasure - Texas A&M University Consortium Press

Home - Knights of the Golden Circle

~Texas Jay

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WR, it getting cold enough for you up there? Heading South? Don't post dates and times, just curious if you are still on this project.

yes, in NM now.
i have posted some pics in the victorio peak thread.
would like to meet you some time in person.

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
yes, in NM now.
i have posted some pics in the victorio peak thread.
would like to meet you some time in person.

Cool, let's see if we can make it happen this year. Missed you last year. Picked up some interesting tidbits at the Rendezvous about Victorio last weekend. I was actually in Cruces when you went to the boulders in the foothills, but was stuck doing chores and did not see your posts. It was the last leg of a loop through northern New Mexico. I had to go poke at Fenn's thing at least once, plus I have a lot of other projects up there, too. Was in a very remote location with sort of one way in and one way out. Rain had washed all road/trail tracks away and we were only traffic in there on the quad. Was poking around, doing the usual, when all of a sudden, in a direction where there should have been no one, all Hell breaks loose. Screaming and hollering and dogs braying and a generally odd ruckus. No gun shots. Only thing I could think of is that the bear that left the big tracks all over the valley met some folks who came in by horse or something the back way somehow or had camped there through the storm. I did not hear "help", so I figured to leave whatever the mess was without the complication of my presence. Could have been backcountry bowhunters? Such a remote place. Got snowed on a little, too. I'm about 185 and with my 25 lb pack, the bear tracks were a good 30%-40% deeper than my boot prints. He/she covered a lot of the valley. Found tracks several miles apart. Fell back and glassed the area where the noise was, but could not get a hold of anything. Maybe it was the Trickster or something? Could have been goodies off in that direction. Documented pre-US Spanish mines in the area. Report of their re-finding by the US surveyors includes the fact that they were walled up and some tools had been left behind, just like the stories (minus a Padre skeleton and a stack of dore' bars...)

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool, let's see if we can make it happen this year. Missed you last year. Picked up some interesting tidbits at the Rendezvous about Victorio last weekend. I was actually in Cruces when you went to the boulders in the foothills, but was stuck doing chores and did not see your posts. It was the last leg of a loop through northern New Mexico. I had to go poke at Fenn's thing at least once, plus I have a lot of other projects up there, too. Was in a very remote location with sort of one way in and one way out. Rain had washed all road/trail tracks away and we were only traffic in there on the quad. Was poking around, doing the usual, when all of a sudden, in a direction where there should have been no one, all Hell breaks loose. Screaming and hollering and dogs braying and a generally odd ruckus. No gun shots. Only thing I could think of is that the bear that left the big tracks all over the valley met some folks who came in by horse or something the back way somehow or had camped there through the storm. I did not hear "help", so I figured to leave whatever the mess was without the complication of my presence. Could have been backcountry bowhunters? Such a remote place. Got snowed on a little, too. I'm about 185 and with my 25 lb pack, the bear tracks were a good 30%-40% deeper than my boot prints. He/she covered a lot of the valley. Found tracks several miles apart. Fell back and glassed the area where the noise was, but could not get a hold of anything. Maybe it was the Trickster or something? Could have been goodies off in that direction. Documented pre-US Spanish mines in the area. Report of their re-finding by the US surveyors includes the fact that they were walled up and some tools had been left behind, just like the stories (minus a Padre skeleton and a stack of dore' bars...)

Ever been up on Truchas Peak? It's an area I've always been interested in, but never been to.

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
Ever been up on Truchas Peak? It's an area I've always been interested in, but never been to.

Nope. Truchas looks like a big mountain. Had a friend that hiked it years ago. Real high-country stuff. Stories in the general area, like the Hermit, and also and the Native who got talked into leading some guys to a hidden mine, but disappeared from camp after overhearing the greed of the guys he was leading. Some stories of a mine over by Mora. Familiar themes.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What "bar" are you talking about? did I miss a picture?
thanks
wr

He's referring to a dore bar supposedly found in the Drolte Hole. GPS 32.943381°, -107.249017°. It was thoroughly explored by a group of investors years ago, and nothing was found. There is video on youtube of this group's activities, or at least there was. They even lined the hole with a large diameter pipe.

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
naw, that was one of four drolte era holes drilled by dick moyle. already was lined. dead end.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Victoria peak is quite simple. NP clarified it with his little map. ty consisted of three Jesuit depositoyies. They used them in the early days to store their Dore bars of gold and silver for transhipment down the river to a waiting Jesuit ship for Rome n p

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, Victoria peak is quite simple. NP clarified it with his little map. ty consisted of three Jesuit depositoyies. They used them in the early days to store their Dore bars of gold and silver for transhipment down the river to a waiting Jesuit ship for Rome n p

RDT3: I am glad you are so sure of the little map and keep encouraging the deciphering of it. That map is such a large scale, although it shows the treasures coming to the Caballos, it does nothing (so far) to narrow down the specific sites.
Therefore, I continue to explore and map every canyon in the Caballos one at a time, top to bottom, or bottom to top, trying to find anything that might be indicated on that map. Lots of clues. Lots of caves, holes, old mines, deep two box hits to dig. Each day is another chapter in my future book "100 places where its not".
Take care,
missing NP
Wr

mann

Aug 22, 2010
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
On a side note the road is paved from the Upham exit to Engle. Thanks to the crazy spaceport fanatics.

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On a side note the road is paved from the Upham exit to Engle. Thanks to the crazy spaceport fanatics.

Last time I was out there, the road was only paved from the Space port north to engle, it was still dirt south to Upham.

Is it now paved all the way from Uphan exit to Engle? if so, that is great. thanks

lockdownking

Dec 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to contact someone in the Noss
Family. How can this be done?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully victoriol will give us a comment on this its been awhile.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
After spending the last several weeks reading through the Victorio Peak threads from the past decade, it GLARINGLY stands out to me that "SDCFIA" goes to all lengths to try and discredit the Doc Noss story. I can't help but think he sounds a HECK of a lot like a certain Jim Eckles or someone on the base with a vested interest to DENY, DENY, DENY.

He claims several times to have no interest in Victorio Peak, yet he's the #1 detractor on all the common threads. That's not someone who has no interest, that's someone WITH an interest.
Here, I'll double-post to your double-post, just to be sure you get the message:

I'm interested in VP only because IMO it's a distraction away from the Caballos, where the true focus should be. I discredit the Noss story because of Noss himself. Others' mileage may vary.

Robval84

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2023
This is my first post ever on any treasure site. I have read threads of stories related to VP for many years but never felt the need to join, until now. It's been over 15 years since we closed up our excavation efforts and left the Peak. My name is Alex Alonso, I was the Director of Operations of the Victorio Peak Project. So why now one might ask? A fair question no doubt. VPP left the Peak on a down note, kicked to the curb by a less than gracious host. We spent 4 years on site chasing every lead the ONFP (Ova Noss Family Partnership) had. This included first hand accounts from family members Letha, Dorothy, Marvin, Jerry, Wes, Jim and Terry. All were active in the effort with the team. It's sad to say that Jim and Terry Delonas are the only surviving family members. The injustice we felt resonated in all of us and we turned away from the Peak for these many years. Over the past 6 years an independent researcher/writer, John Clarence has taken upon himself the task of writing the most definitive work regarding VP that we have every seen. His research eventually led to the ONFP and there family archives. After reviewing his research we felt this was going to be good! Books like Victoria Peak by Phil Khoury, 100 Tons of Gold but Leon Chandler, are only a glimmer of what has been unearthed. And so, I am very excited to announce on behalf of the Ova Noss Family Partnership the existence of three hardback books. As an active member of the ONFP for 24 years I highly endorse this effort as this will certainly be the final and finished work of the story of Victorio Peak. If you would like to receive an email invitation to the grand reopening of the victoriopeak.com website please visit http:www.victoriopeak.com and register your email information. Attached are the covers to the three books.
Doc Noss was Belle Starr and Sam stars child im almost positive. But goes by Tom bandy Starr. My grandpa was his nephew and there is a whole different story about The intire Noss name I have been restlessly researching but have only recently figured out some things since your documentary. Are there plans for additional episodes to come ? 6 can't be the end im just learning today Terry passed in February . I don't know him but can show you Docs family and what Docs brother looked like. Seems crazy I know but I do have a little knowledge of Noss genealogy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231128-235553_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231128-235553_Gallery.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

stude

Nov 8, 2009
las cruces nm
Not familiar with this book and a google search didn't come up with anything...who wrote it? Anyone else recommend this one?
Phantom of the Caballo Mountains by Viola M Payne as told by Rebecca Taggart Vantage Press 1977. A mostly factual account of one persons search for the Caballo mt treasure. Page 64 even describes Willie Doughit's trek up the canyon with several people that he told that he knew where the treasure was. This is described in other stories as well. You can find the Taggart diggings (private property) which will put you in the general vicinity of the supposed treasure.

Robval84

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2023
Doc Noss was Belle Starr and Sam stars child im almost positive. But goes by Tom bandy Starr. My grandpa was his nephew and there is a whole different story about The intire Noss name I have been restlessly researching but have only recently figured out some things since your documentary. Are there plans for additional episodes to come ? 6 can't be the end im just learning today Terry passed in February . I don't know him but can show you Docs family and what Docs brother looked like. Seems crazy I know but I do have a little knowledge of Noss genealogy.

I would like to contact someone in the Noss
Family. How can this be done?
I am Milton's direct blood family. Lol not sure you want to talk to someone in ovas family or someone from the noss family. Good luck with what you are requesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread