maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, well, it just seems to keep getting worse here, last weeks 18 boxes gave me 15 40's and 1 90, this weeks 18 boxes gave me 4 40's a Magicians coin and 2 of the double stamped 84 halves. This is the ugly side of this hobby, I am going to keep to the 18 boxes a week for a little longer but if I don't see any improvement I'm going to back it down again to 14 boxes, I was doing 24-32 boxes for a while there and it just wasn't worth the time it was taking to do that kind of volume ( for me anyways) and was just consuming my life, it is nice to have time to do other things again and live a little normal again, it is amazing how if you're not careful you will begin to build your daily life around this hobby, I am getting away from that way of life for a while, maybe next Winter I will do some heavy volume again but for now, I'm just sticking to my 18 boxes a week and going to live a little and enjoy life with my wife and kids. HH, Maverick.

Attachments

• DSCN6296.JPG
    DSCN6296.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN6297.JPG
    DSCN6297.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN6298.JPG
    DSCN6298.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN6299.JPG
    DSCN6299.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...it is amazing how if you're not careful you will begin to build your daily life around this hobby...

This hobby and any hobby, hobbyhorse, or habit. Coin roll hunting has been one of my better activities though. Treasure rules!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you Maverick. That's why I have cut down to almost nothing. The finds aren't as frequent, the price of silver is down, and it's times like these when you start to come out of the CRH coma we are in sometimes and realize what's really important: wife, kids, family, etc. At least that's how it has been for me lately. I try to make time for them and do the CRH thing when they aren't around or on lunch breaks cuz I don't want to miss out on the rare quality time I can spend with them.

HH all! Lets keep it real.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: wife, kids, and family. I am married with kid number one on the way in about five weeks. My future kids are part of the reason I'm so deep into this hobby. When I was a kid, I loved my grandpa's and dad's coin collections. And my kids will probably love mine.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let the rat race ( or skunk race in this case ) let you miss on good times.

Unless you are literally finding 5 or more 90% halves on every hunt, then doing almost ANYTHING else would be more profitable. For instance, going on a walk. Metal Detecting, spending time with friends and family. If I had my choice, it would be $2.50 in silver face to get me to think twice.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: wife, kids, and family. I am married with kid number one on the way in about five weeks. My future kids are part of the reason I'm so deep into this hobby. When I was a kid, I loved my grandpa's and dad's coin collections. And my kids will probably love mine.

Bingo, shared mine and my dads collecting bug with my boys and now that there grown there coming back to it on there own. Hope to share it with my grand kids one day if my boys would quit practicing and get on with it. LOL. LP.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound like crhstreetwalker He just found 91 oz a few weeks ago and now hes finding a few here and there and he wants to stop. CRH is luck and some weeks its good and some weeks its not! If you do hi ## your going to get large dumps back sooner or later. I do 40 to 50 boxes every week and its easy. Am glad silvers going down theres a lot of crh in just for the money so go get a part time job and you can go out and buy silver! My work is so busy and I still do my boxes its a hobby for me with a nice pile of silver at the end of every week. The only thing that will MAKE me cut way back or stop. My dumps that's the killer for me. Happy hunting !!!

Last edited:

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
Mav man, I'm right there with you. In a *&^#$ district and the average has been plummeting lately. This week alone made up for the last few though. I only have a GF and a dog and we're totally home bodies. I couldn't imaging doing the volume I do (even what I'm cutting down to) if I had a full family with kid(s).

The scores are out there, and if you enjoy the hunt, and the fam is cool with your hobby, I say keep doing it. Otherwise, family first my friend, and just buy some silver on the side. :occasion14:

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
volume is king

there should be 1 sticky at the top of this forum and that's all it should say. No one should even be allowed to post another thread.

SEARCH AND YEE SHALL FIND!!!

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
volume is king

there should be 1 sticky at the top of this forum and that's all it should say. No one should even be allowed to post another thread.

SEARCH AND YEE SHALL FIND!!!

Yes, volume does help, I tried it, it didn't help enough though. I have kept track of all my finds since I started this well over a year ago, they have gone down with every passing month. When I started this hobby my boxes were good, 1 in 3 boxes would produce ( you can look at some of my posts from back then), it was nothing to have boxes that had 8-12 40's in it with no enders, now, I'm averaging about 1 in 16-18 boxes giving anything up. Looking back in the history of this site and some past threads shows that the finds just aren't what they use to be, I know some of the newer people are happy to find 1 40% in a box and that's fine, it is nice but, when you're kinda use to the way boxes were a year ago ( if there was 1 Silver there was 9 in a box), it gets kinda disheartening searching upper teens of boxes to only find 1 per box if you're lucky or less ( which has been the case for me the last month or 2), I'm not saying I'm stopping, I will still do my 18 boxes a week for as long as I can stand it, just saying that the finds aren't what they use to be. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You sound like crhstreetwalker He just found 91 oz a few weeks ago and now hes finding a few here and there and he wants to stop. CRH is luck and some weeks its good and some weeks its not! If you do hi ## your going to get large dumps back sooner or later. I do 40 to 50 boxes every week and its easy. Am glad silvers going down theres a lot of crh in just for the money so go get a part time job and you can go out and buy silver! My work is so busy and I still do my boxes its a hobby for me with a nice pile of silver at the end of every week. The only thing that will MAKE me cut way back or stop. My dumps that's the killer for me. Happy hunting !!!

Hey Tim, you know I'm not quiting ( I would never stop searching boxes), just slowing it down for a while, my business is booming right now and summer is here ( kids are out of school) so I need some more me time and family time, some of the others here don't have kids or young kids so it is a little easier for them, if my kids were grown I could do more, but for now ( while boxes aren't good) I'm just going to spend some of the time I've been spending on searching skunks doing some more productive things. I'll still be here, and post when I find something good ( which I'm sure everyone has noticed I'm not really posting much the last month or so), just getting tired of all the skunk boxes and boxes with 1 lousy 40% in it. We should talk soon, I've just been really busy with my business lately. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Styfflin, kids change everything ( for the good of course), you will feel guilty somewhat spending time searching boxes when the kids are around though if you are doing big volume, doing a few boxes a week with the kids is fun, trying to search upwards of 30 or more boxes a week will turn into a job though. I just kinda realized the time it was robbing me of spending with my family, sitting at the table trying to get 12 boxes searched that night so I could go and dump them the next day to pick up 8 more boxes to search that night and do the same thing again the next day was just too much for me, add on top of that the lack of finds in the boxes ( 10 boxes out of 12 being skunks if not all 12) and it just lost its luster for me right now. I have a nice collection for my kids right now, but I don't want to spend all the time I was trying to build this collection and not spending it with them, so I will do it a little slower now, less boxes is ok by me for a while. HH, Maverick.

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, well, it just seems to keep getting worse here, last weeks 18 boxes gave me 15 40's and 1 90, this weeks 18 boxes gave me 4 40's a Magicians coin and 2 of the double stamped 84 halves. This is the ugly side of this hobby, I am going to keep to the 18 boxes a week for a little longer but if I don't see any improvement I'm going to back it down again to 14 boxes, I was doing 24-32 boxes for a while there and it just wasn't worth the time it was taking to do that kind of volume ( for me anyways) and was just consuming my life, it is nice to have time to do other things again and live a little normal again, it is amazing how if you're not careful you will begin to build your daily life around this hobby, I am getting away from that way of life for a while, maybe next Winter I will do some heavy volume again but for now, I'm just sticking to my 18 boxes a week and going to live a little and enjoy life with my wife and kids. HH, Maverick.

Hey mav have always enjoyed reading about your scores and I commend you. There is no amount of silver that can make up for time with your kids and wife. Family should always monopolize your time. Good luck with your reduced number of boxes. Hope they produce as well as they did in the past!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread