The Ultimate Treasure Hunting Vehicle

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the scenario...You just hit the largest lottery payout in history...no need to work and you have unlimited funds to buy and stock the ultimate treasure hunting vehicle what would you get. I will start with what I would get for a ride and if you want to post your suggestions or supplies for this vehicle feel free.

This is what I would buy: http://steinbring.rvusa.com/2011-newmar-canyon-star-toy-hauler-3920-MN-i157526

Maybe we also need a boat somewhere but since I'm a land lover I will leave that to somebody else to decide.

Have fun...

NJ

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
They say that most lottery winners go broke within 5 years. I'd like to test that theory myself. Nice RV, but parking is a pain and the gas mileage is horrible. We okies love our trucks, so my Blazer still wins for my ride. Between the 4WD and the winch, if I can't get there.... I don't need to be there. It's like a good woman. If you find one, keep her. Of course, if I won the lottery she'd get it all anyways and I'd still be driving that dang Blazer!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
N.J., I have used a 35' MH and gotten hung on marginal roads.
I now use a 22 1/2 ' Xplorer MH. It is built on a Dodge 3500 beefed up chassis. It is rated at 12'000 pounds cap. It has all the goodies like 4WD, the good one with high & low range. It has power steering/brakes/windows/foot pedals, etc It has tilt, cruise, GPS ,6 cu ft ref, conv micro. toaster oven, coffeemaker, generator. hot water heater that is heated by engine heat while you drive, bathroom with glass inclosed shower, etc,etc,etc. It only cost $75k. It is on it's 5th year with no problems. I have taken it down jeep trails on gold claims in AZ. Oh it has a 305hp diesel. It rides down the highway as smooth as a luxury car.
I use it as a base station. I use to pull a dune buggy, But now I am thinking Rokon. That is a 2wd motorcycle.
Don't think large, think utility with confort!
I can go into the boonies for a week, Hunt from dawn to dusk while retiring in confort at nite. Of course retiring in confort at nite means a hell of a lot at 73.

Attachments

• 500MH.jpg
    500MH.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,867
  • MN500.jpg
    MN500.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,748
  • 500MH.jpg
    500MH.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,403
  • MN500.jpg
    MN500.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,239

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds good Frankn. And Rokon is an amazing bike. Didn't know they still made them.

Grey

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know nothing about RVs but I thought this one looked good and with the toy hauler portion you can fit in your Rokon plus lots of equipment.

The first time I ever heard of the Rokon was on that show Pawn Stars. Someone brought one into the shop to sell. They purchased it then had it restored.

NJ

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
That Rokon on Pawn Star was a bit of a relic. I just downloaded their literature today. They have three models,Trail-Breaker, Ranger & scout. They can climb 60 degree slopes. Top speed is 40MPH They can carry 1000 pounds & tow about 2800 pounds. They can travel for about 8 Hr on their 2.7 gal tank The big feature is 2wheel drive. They can make it thru 2' of mud! I saw in their webb page . Just search "rokon motorcycle"
The MH was made by Frank Industries in Michigan It's just about custom built. They will build on Dodge or Ford chassis and will customize just about any feature you want. Nice ,honest people to deal with.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, I was thinking of the 2 wheel drive Rokon Motorcycle.
Had an automatic transmission too.
Friend had one in the mid 1970s.
Grey

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Naw, those were 4 hoofed drives.
This is a 2 hoofed drive.

Attachments

• half horsepower.gif
    half horsepower.gif
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,132

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Greydigger, I used to have one of those 2 hoofed drivers, they sold it to me as a " Quarter Horse " :laughing9:...........NGE

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UncleVinnys said:
Good ones, guys! :hello2:

Looks like we've totally destroyed this thread. :tongue3: :laughing7:

I posted it for people to have fun so destroy away....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Now that the clowns have preformed, lets get back to the original post!
The toy hauler is a beautiful set up WHEN IT IS PARKED, but from home to your detecting spot it is a nightmare! It is over 8' wide and some back road lanes are 8' wide. It is long so sharp curves are nerve racking. On long down hill sections, it is enough to make you loose your faith.
Do even consider buying one unless you have test driven it in traffic and on back roads . I drove a converted Grayhound from Maryland to Yellowstone Park and it probably still has my hand prints in the steering wheel and I'm the guy that can hop into his motorhome and drive 600 mi. a day with no problem.
The better choice would be a 20 some ' custom built xplorer loaded for app. $ 80K. Just because you won a load doesn't mean you have to throw it away!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All good points...to be honest. Even if I did hit the lottery I would most likely buy just a nice 4WD SUV or pickup...lol.

B

Bev

Umm. I may have the ultimate treasure hunting vehicle:
1979 AMC Jeep Cherokee FSJ

Attachments

• 1979 jeep 1.jpg
    1979 jeep 1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,334
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bev said:
Umm. I may have the ultimate treasure hunting vehicle:
1979 AMC Jeep Cherokee FSJ

We have a winner...

B

Bev

You're too funny!
You should see me show up for house listing appointments in it! MD stuff fits nicely in the back though.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Artzstuff, Doesn't all that chocolate gum up the underpinnings, must be really difficult to get it off the windows too ;D......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread