Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The UPS van came whipping into our driveway and like they all do, the driver was out quickly with our package. He hurried up to the door with the package and my wife hurried out to get it. The driver did his thing and turned to hurry back to his van. He paused for a second as he glanced down at something but then started on. Suddenly the driver stopped and turned back around and came back to the door. My wife went back to the door and asked what was the problem. The driver smiled and pointed down to a bucket with a lid on it and asked, "It says deer jelly, what exactly is deer jelly? is it made from deer?"

My wife grinned really big as she shook her head no, "No, it isn't made from deer. It is really jelly but it is old jelly that really is past it's good use for us. Deer love jelly so we put it out for them to eat." The driver nodded that it made sense to him and hurried off. I found out a long time ago that deer loved jelly. If you think about it, they eat wild grapes, muscadines, apples, plums, persimmons and any other sweet things that they can find. So I put some out one morning with a little Vanilla extract to see what they would do. The deer made a bee line straight to it and got a quick sweet taste before moving on. The driver never has forgotten the deer jelly and asks what kind are we using now.

So, we use cheap clearance jelly or jelly mess ups from people trying to make homemade jelly. The driver told my wife that he had never thought about using jelly for bait. I know people that use peanut butter for the deer but coons and bear love it too as do wild hogs. I had considered mixing peanut butter with jelly for the deer too, should work awesome.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
He in west central MO. a lot of people put out salt licks. There are some that say this is illegal and or immoral. The best ones I've seen are where they take a 1/2" wood bit and drill a bunch of holes about an inch deep and pound rock salt into the holes until they're packed tight. In central TX. I saw 25 gal. can on 4' stilts hooked to a car battery that broadcast a double hand full of grain twice a day off a timer. Made a 30 or 40' area. It was fenced off from cattle and the fence too high for deer to get over but the turkey and quail loved it. First I've heard of jelly. Good luck.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This fall get a bucket of apples or crabapples and let them ferment. Then you can have drunk deer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions