beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being honest, I am not very lucky when it comes to metal detecting. And I guess not a very good detectorist either........LOL But I enjoy the hobby very much and always remember the old adage about the squirrel and the nut so I stay encouraged.

Anyway, I love to read all the posts of peoples finds as I live vicariously through them. Something I have noticed a LOT is how often someone has quit for the day and while walking back to their vehicle get that great hit/signal and find their nicest item of the entire hunt.

Well with that in mind today I figured I would experiment a bit with what I hoped would prove to be a revolutionary new system. I drove to my local modern age park. I geared up and walked across the field. When I got there I finally turned on my machine and headed for my jeep. I made it all the way back to the jeep without a single good signal so I got in and drove home knowing I needed a new system.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, because a few random people, randomly find, random items, randomly on they way back to their car on random hunts. :laughing7: Does not mean you'll find any thing on the way back to your car once. :icon_scratch: I've been detecting for 10 years I often practice the way back to my car routine. :BangHead: Its never worked... :dontknow:I've never found a thing on the way back to my car.... ???

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny ! I too recomended this in a post last year - as a response to a member who had just scored a special find on a "back to
the car " walk - I said something like- you ought to head back to the car several times during every hunt . It seems like you have to
have pretty much given up for the day (but you haven't turned off the detector yet !)

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a back to the truck find and I think it was more of I finally found the sweet spot at that site, I start my hunt to actually end it at the most promising looking spot, get all the trash out of the way before I am tired or back or knees are to sore, then finish with the best looking areas for last.That might be the same ways others hunt also.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seems like the opposite for me happens often enough to mention.I get there...gear up...head out and find my best item in the first 10 mins.several times within 20 feet of my truck.Each time it happens I think,"dam...its on"only to find trash for the rest of the hunt.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still say we need to give that phenomena a name!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still say we need to give that phenomena a name!
..................It does have a name........ mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will take a good find any way i can get it.But stuff like that happens usually when the coil goes over the right spot at the right time.HH

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will take a good find any way i can get it.But stuff like that happens usually when the coil goes over the right spot at the right time.HH

Yes, it always happens that way!

Funny thread though!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on several occasions I would park My vehicle & do as you did.
but when I got back to me vehicle, I seemed to have parked right next to my best find.

Last time I remember this happening it was a Very deep Shield Nickel.
I chalked it up to
being warn out by the time i got back,and I was swinging Extremely slow,
Heard a slight noise & thought, Last dig of the day may as will go for it while waiting for the others to quit.

Some other times the first dig near my vehicle turned out to be my best,
then I spend the rest of the time thinking about it :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You are looking at detecting all wrong! Only one thing counts in detecting, LOCATION!!!! You can forget the obvious local parks. Do some research. Check with the old members of the community to get the best locations of the past times. There are probably some LOST PARKS, swimming areas, etc just waiting for you to find them. That's where you gain your "luck", not an oddball lucky pickup at your vehicle. Think about it. Frank... hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking for relics where a battle had taken place. It had been pounded in the past and I wasn't finding a lot. Couple of bullets and some modern empty brass. There was very little junk and I was really into the hunt, and the opposing sides were fairly far apart, so I'd covered some ground, doing a lot of walking to spots to try out, when I noticed it was getting late. So started back to the truck, walking on a trail that didn't allow much, if any swinging, walking fairly fast. Just about back to the truck with the coil on the ground in front of me, but not swinging, I got a really good hit. It was a clad dime. Then another time I was at the beach, and walking back on a trail through tall beach grass in the dunes, doing the same thing, coil in front on the ground, and when near the truck I got a good hit. It was also a clad dime. And folks, that's my 20 cents worth in this thread.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be prospecting but its still detecting.... cant tell you how many gold nuggets I've dug off the back bumper of someones car or camper ;) Its always a running joke around the camp fire..... camp nuggets. I've never found it any different any where when I sling a detector on my arm. Saying says " Gold is where you find it" well that goes for anything ;P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread