The wife use to let me MD, now she makes me go!!!!!

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About three weeks ago after the three days of a summer Noreaster, after work I stopped by the beach to do some shopping! :laughing7: After hitting the bank made a small withdrawl of old silver and green coins! Then it was time for the jewelry store and Davey Jones forgot to lock the door!!!! In the area of the beach that looked the lowest and where the tide had emptyed back to the sea I got an interesting tone! At this time it was dark and I was using my little pen light to find my targets. After two scoops of blackish colored sand the target sounded strong and clear in the hole. The next scoop and it was out and with the pen light I could see the white silver flash on top of the sand pile. At first I thought oh cool I a found a silver ring. Then it hit me like a brick in the head! Being this deep down the silver should be black and crusty! Did not even think maybe white gold :dontknow: I was sure I had found my first plat! Dropped to the ground like a sac of potatoes and heart pounding! As I picked up the ring I could feel the stones and setting, I turned it around and shined the light on and Ka Bam!! This sucker lit up like a Christmas tree!! I then washed it off gently and desperately started looking for the P, Pt, or Plat! My eyes were straining to adjust to the bright light until I could make out the stamp mark. Yes there it was PLAT!!!!! Man oh man I was psyched!!! Went to the Gemologist, he said the ring is over a hundred years old, diamonds are real (total of 13), the main stone is 1/2 carat old miner's ct and it's flawless or vvs, G color. The setting was crafted by hand with a special tool. The appraisal value is $3,000 and of course my wife loves it!!! I'm happy too cause now she makes me go hunting! HH! :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• plat3.jpg
    plat3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5,373
  • plat1.jpg
    plat1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 5,357
  • plat2.jpg
    plat2.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 5,362
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I can easily believe the center stone in VVS and G would be worth nearly $3K by itself. Plat. value another $700+ Other stones have value too, would need to have them individually appraised.

INCREDIBLE FIND! I surprised you wife doesn't chain you to the detector, and have you both on a long leash! "Just go find the bling, honey, go find the bling!"

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
It really doesn't matter how much it is worth......... He is not going to get any money for it unless he sells his wife. I'll bet she won't take it off her finger ;D ;D Awesome find. It is on my list of "wanna finds"

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful ring! The best one I've seen posted! A big congrats :hello2:

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
omg!!!!!!!!!! epic find!!!!!! Congrats on the B.A.N.N.E.R too :laughing9:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where does your wife swim :laughing9:
3000.00 is way lowball!!!!!!!!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, :o

I'm like dumbfounded, that is amazing ring. :o I'll appraise it for you right now free of charge. :icon_thumleft: I looked close and count around 8-9 Carats of diamonds worth around $3,450 in diamonds alone. :tongue3: I figure you have about 4 grams of Platinum worth around $199.69 together around $3,649.69 Total. :hello2: This is scrap value and a low end price. :thumbsup: By the looks of it the stones are very clear and nice so add another 50% of the total value so high end is $5,473.69 or even higher because its very old. :headbang: Outstanding find, congratulations on banner and a great find !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

OP
OP
surfnturf

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! I just got back from hunting the low tide and fired up the computer to find out I made the BANNER!!!! Thank you everyone!!!! This just made my day, hell made my month!!! WOW!!! Sounds like I'll have to get a few more appraisals done! The money really doesn't matter cause wifey glows with joy and that really feels good. Sometimes I sneak a peek at it and I feel like gollium (sp?), and the ring is precious! I just stare at it and can't believe its real! Thanks for checking out my post, Thanks for the banner votes and thanks for all the input, tips and expertise shared! This is such a great hobby I hope you all find your Diamond in the Ruff!!!!!

SnT

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Congratulations on the find! As said before, it's priceless unless you sell it - and good luck with that! I need one of those to work my girlfriends mind a bit!! :icon_thumleft: HH!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG, all i can say is OMG Great banner find there!!!!

Red said if you dont want it Send out this way!!!!!LMAO!!!! :laughing9: :laughing9:

Good luck getting it back from the wifey!!!! If i found that it would never leave Reds finger!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get another opinion on the ring. Great setting, as for a 100yrs, close maybe a bit younger. Congrat's on the find and the Banner. :icon_thumright:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BloodyBelle said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

I'm like dumbfounded, that is amazing ring. :o I'll appraise it for you right now free of charge. :icon_thumleft: I looked close and count around 8-9 Carats of diamonds worth around $3,450 in diamonds alone. :tongue3: I figure you have about 4 grams of Platinum worth around $199.69 together around $3,649.69 Total. :hello2: This is scrap value and a low end price. :thumbsup: By the looks of it the stones are very clear and nice so add another 50% of the total value so high end is $5,473.69 or even higher because its very old. :headbang: Outstanding find, congratulations on banner and a great find !! :notworthy:

It is a remarkable ring. But I'm afraid that your eyeballed-pixel appraisal is irresponsible at a minimum, if not simply way off.

Sorry, I don't agree, I have worked in jewelry departments in the past, and I have seen platinum rings that were much smaller, with lesser diamonds, and they started at $3,000.00! The ring is stunning, the workmenship is extradordinary, I would say he is about on par for the price, if not more!!!! It would be well worth taking it to a couple of appraisers!!!! :thumbsup: :icon_sunny:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have taken the item in my avatar into several ppl for an appraisal, If they cant do it without taking into the back room it wont go with them!!! I fully agree with reds comment!!! There are to many problems that occur when a item leaves your hand and goes into another hand/ room stones disappear fast and replaced with others!!!! the 2 appraisals are Stunning even though they don't know where it was made!!!!! RED has been very Stubborn about letting it out of my sight when getting a appraisal!!!! Her working in the industry has helped Allot!!!! Chug!!!

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
Chug and Red said:
BloodyBelle said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

It is a remarkable ring. But I'm afraid that your eyeballed-pixel appraisal is irresponsible at a minimum, if not simply way off.

Sorry, I don't agree, I have worked in jewelry departments in the past, and I have seen platinum rings that were much smaller, with lesser diamonds, and they started at $3,000.00! The ring is stunning, the workmenship is extradordinary, I would say he is about on par for the price, if not more!!!! It would be well worth taking it to a couple of appraisers!!!! :thumbsup: :icon_sunny:

So you agree with whoever I disagreed with. That means you agree that there are 9 cts worth of diamonds including the 1/2 ct main rock. Right? :-)

Personally, I think platinum is a nice thing to find. If the platinum holds a serious diamond the platinum is relatively irrelevant. e.g. engagement ring: 1.5 ct E color SI1 liquidation value -- Diamond: 7K. Platinum setting: 62.00.

Retail values are only relevant for insurance purposes and even then I'm not sure they would buy the numbers. Oh and for the retailers who mark them up for whatever they can get away with. Retailers LOVE people who ooh and ahh at a PLAT ring with a poor quality diamond. I'd never do business like that but they sure are out there.

YMMV. :wink:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BloodyBelle said:
Chug and Red said:
BloodyBelle said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

So you agree with whoever I disagreed with. That means you agree that there are 9 cts worth of diamonds including the 1/2 ct main rock. Right? :-)

Personally, I think platinum is a nice thing to find. If the platinum holds a serious diamond the platinum is relatively irrelevant. e.g. engagement ring: 1.5 ct E color SI1 liquidation value -- Diamond: 7K. Platinum setting: 62.00.

Retail values are only relevant for insurance purposes and even then I'm not sure they would buy the numbers. Oh and for the retailers who mark them up for whatever they can get away with. Retailers LOVE people who ooh and ahh at a PLAT ring with a poor quality diamond. I'd never do business like that but they sure are out there.

YMMV. :wink:

I simply said I totally agree with Mud, he is about right on the price, give or take a few dollars. I also agree there are large diamonds that might add up that that carat weight, including the big one. Those diamonds are spectacular, and look gorgeous set in platinum, and like I said, older jewelry is fantastic, so full of class, personality, and special! :thumbsup: Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread