🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I agree, only in desert or extremely dry, arid areas do I carry water. A lifestraw or other water purifier will suffice. I will however carry a canteen or bladder to carry a small amount of water. Also canned foods can be extremely heavy and should be avoided except on short hikes. I carry dried or dehydrated foods along with coffee or teas for drinking, and trail mix or dried fruit and nuts for on the go snacking. Good Luck. rockhound

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last couple of years I've been using a SteriPen Journey. Usually take a couple of coffee filters with me to pre filter anything visible, then use the SteriPen.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When my brother and I started hiking in the hills, we tried Lanterns, too heavy, went to D cell flashlights, too heavy, finally went to AA's flashlights. Having to carry it all day, to use at night means it has to be light to carry. 2 each with spare batteries, that way when the batteries died, it was get the other flashlight and then replace the batteries in the dead flashlight. It is really hard to see at night with no moon.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well this wasn't me, but while packing for a weekend camping trip I caught my then girlfriend packing a blow dryer and curling iron. After explaining that there wasn't going to be any electricity out there, she got a sheepish look on her face and put them back in the bathroom.

I always pack the the absolute minimum. Being ex-infantry I know it's important to keep it light as possible.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Portable A.C. unit...
Sleep Number bed...
And Swimming pool...

They are a pain when camping... :P

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle of Yukon Jack.
Your ex girl friend (don't ask)
Anything that requires a microwave...

Best things to bring.
Toilet paper.
Bottle of Yukon Jack.
Your ex girl friend..... ....:laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle of Yukon Jack.
Your ex girl friend (don't ask)
Anything that requires a microwave...

Best things to bring.
Toilet paper.
Bottle of Yukon Jack.
Your ex girl friend..... ....:laughing7:

I'll second this! I'll add.... Any kind of alcohol(depending on where your camping) I've "heard" of people drinking too much and getting lost less than 100yrds from camp in the brush and briars, waking up in the morning after sleeping(?) in the dirt,leaves, and briars!

NOW, I've never actually seen(or maybe double) it in person! But I heard about this happening! :laughing7:

Probably one of those guys(in his younger years) that gets to go camping with a few girls, and is the only guy in the world that ends up sleeping in the briars all night! Go figure! Ever hear of those kinda people? Shheeeesh

Seriously though! One thing to consider not taking in the woods or on a hike if going to be out a few days?

Car keys! This has happened to me and 2 friends over the years! You are so use to setting them down. Then when going through your pack or setting up camp,changing, they some how grow legs and run off! Hide them under your vehicle somewhere when no ones looking..Has happened canoeing too! Maybe was already mentioned, I didn't read whole thread.

It's the worst thing to just be ready for a shower, and push to get to your vehicle when you've had enough adventure for a few days, and NO KEYS!!!

Last edited:

Maurissa

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2015
Peace Country, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Very first: Discovery 1100 Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yikes @nitric , the thought of leaving keys terrifies me.

And alcohol is a terrible idea, as well ex partner of any stripe.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha, this ones easy. Camping is our thing and my wife and I have a system for all the different types of camping we do throughout the year and are usually very organized and streamlined but......... when we go with a group, or the kids (who by the way are all grown with their own families) my wife/nana feels it is our obligation to take quadruples of everything possible incase somebody needs or forgets something. I remember one trip last year where I counted a dozen camp chairs! Oh and radios, and DVD players in case the grandkids get bored (pfft-give me a break!), and "Floaties" and extra sleeping bags, and pilllows, and blankets, and thingamajig camp decorations, and games, and extra fishing poles and our water "cuz it tastes better", and............well you get the idea! LOL

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fowledup, wow sounds like you either have or need a huge truck for everything. lol
davin

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this wasn't me, but while packing for a weekend camping trip I caught my then girlfriend packing a blow dryer and curling iron. After explaining that there wasn't going to be any electricity out there, she got a sheepish look on her face and put them back in the bathroom.

I always pack the the absolute minimum. Being ex-infantry I know it's important to keep it light as possible.
EXACTLY! Same thing, but mine added (I kid you not!) a whole drawers worth of makeup!?!? Enough to cover everyone at a miss America pageant. Told her every bug in 50 miles will come to her perfume & the kicker! Told her skunks will sneak up in the night to lick off makeup. The look on her face was worth millions!!!!

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It always seems like I am preparing for wilderness survival the way I fill a backpack. My first choice was always a good pocket knife as that will provide all else for survival. The worst item? Chocolate. (Trail mix with M&Ms or anything with chocolate as an ingredient since it almost always MELTS... even in the ziploc bag.)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like a little workout when I camp, but next time I will leave the 50 pound dumbells at home! :laughing7:

Mike

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst thing to bring camping is the device that I despise more than anything on this earth...a cell phone.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I go backpacking with friends I always bring safety equipment which I have never used thankfully! A friend on his first trip brought a 3 man tent, his shoulder strap broke half way on a 25 mile hike so we all ended up carrying his stuff since our shoelace fix wouldn't hold 80 pounds...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread