The Years 10th Privy, Finally a couple keepers!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all,

Sorry I haven't posted much lately, in fact I've been away for some time with the loss of my Mother. So I have not been digging quite so much this season. The thread title may seem like I've dug a ton but usually we are in the 20 to 30 pit range at this point of the season. So to keep my mind off of things I thought what a great way to do it. Go out and find a decent pit and see what happens. :thumbsup:

So off we went and Don and I went searching an area that has been known to give up some decent finds. Although like I said we have come up empty thus far. But we always say it just takes one! :tongue3: . So I have been probing a double lot that had two homes on it. Possibly dating the the 1880's or so. Good enough for our area of the country. Took awhile of pounding the rod into the hard ground but we found these couple of possibilities. Felt pretty good with some layering and a couple of times I felt some glass, but not much. Oh well, so we will give it a go. Don is the grass cutter guy. So he took the first layer off for a nice replacing after we dig. Seems to work out nice and the folks that let us dig appreciate that. :laughing7: After he took out the top layer and began my decent into the depths. At about two feet we started finding bones and some other fill trash and the first layers of ash. A good sign so far. :headbang: So we kept going and at about the 5 foot area WHALLA! The "Use Layer". Seeds and pottery, some mason jars and of course a bunch of broken stuff. But I started to find some intact bottles. A Trifecta of Coblat Keasby and Mattison bottles. A nice Apple Green Piso's Cure for Consumption and some perfumery items. Looking like a full on females house. Complete with Dandruff Cures, Knoxit VD bottles and more compacts. It appears as though its a 1900 privy or there about. :BangHead: Wish it were older but on we went. Ya never know what you are going to find. Possibly a late throw! 8-) So I kept at it. Then finally a sweet keeper shows its face! I really cool looking flask with Merry Christmas and Happy New Year embossing with a belt or purse style embossing as well. :hello2: Never found one before so that is awesome!! Then out pops a Witch Hazel Cream bottle. Cool little find. Then I tossed out the LockPort Gargling Oil in a shovel full of seeds and dirt! That must be the later throw. All in all we came out with a handful of keepers. The flask I think is the best of all. That one is going in the cabinet for awhile! :headbang: So after this pit I reprobed the other one diagonally away from this one and located a nice Use layer for that one. So when we return it's game on for what I hope to be some more little keepers. Pit #11 Awaits!

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 84
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 80
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 83
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 91
  • c5.jpg
    c5.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 80
  • c6.jpg
    c6.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 80
  • c7.jpg
    c7.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 93
  • c8.jpg
    c8.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 80
  • c9.jpg
    c9.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 81
  • c10.jpg
    c10.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 92
  • c11.jpg
    c11.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 96
  • c12.jpg
    c12.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 77
  • c13.jpg
    c13.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 85

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Santa Claus bottle!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent jgas. Great post as always. I'm "digging" that little Piso's, that's a great find, nice color. Got to agree with you on the Christmas/New Years bottle. That one cleaned up and looks super. I'm wondering if it was a little whisky that was put out for the holidays by a grocer or something along those lines? Killer bottle. We really appreciate the in situ photos. I like the cleaned up photos as well but you gotta show those bottles coming out of the dirt to get the best effect. Very sorry to hear about your mom, my condolences.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. Nothing like some digging to give your mind a rest. The flask is killer! Overall great digs, can't wait to see your next pit!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice job, tarps, sod and bottles all look great :icon_thumleft:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice job, tarps, sod and bottles all look great :icon_thumleft:

That jgas covers all the bases when he does a dig

Jgas, all the information I can find on the flask leads to these as being gift flasks handed out by saloons to good customers and such.

Last edited:

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And btw I don't think it's a "purse" embossing...its santas coat and big belt. :)

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah the flask most likely from one of the local saloons or grocers. In fact there was a store just down the street. Tons of saloons too. Hope to find some more goodies in the next one. jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions