them old engines and vehicles we drove.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Remember when 2 $ in the tank 8 gal seemed we could drive all night cruising the ave. Loved those Bleach burn outs at the stop and go's.
:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: BOY,HOWDY! Tank full of $0.22/gal Amoco gas , $5 in your pocket for a meal for two , and a fresh pint of whiskey under the front seat on a Saturday night ........................................
>MAN ! You had a front row chance of boffin at least one cheerleader from one of the 3 high schools in my town when I was in high school .
>Obviously prices have escalated for all venues since 1966 .

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You missed the best one. The 426 Road Runner was faster. The valve setup in it was far superior to the 440. My buddy had one and every nite when he got home he had to pull all the 440's out of his tailpipe. lol Frank

View attachment 749200

What I remember most was pulling the 440 and tranny out, and putting it in a rail in New Jersy (not me, but the previous owner) and that stock setup hitting 160 in the quarter mile . . . only modification to the mechanics was the tranny. Park, Reverse, Neutral, First, Second then Drive (going from top to bottom). The car was always an auto that had to be shifted manually. That reverse order made it a lot safer when you shifted manually.

Ever seen one hit reverse at 80+ mph? Not pretty.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
426 Hemis were the fastest street cars I ever saw. Owned a 62 Impala 409, dual quads, 4 speed Muncie 4:11 rear, then a 66 GTO 389 tri power. Owned an XKE, an old vette and could not beat either a 427 ford galaxie or any MOPAR with a 426 hemi. Had other rods, even a D Gas rail and it couldn't turn the times a hemi did. Roadrunners problem was their 323 "sure-grip" rear end gears. Quick off the line, then dogs. Of course, gas was super cheap and so were parts. But I sure had fun...

One of the quickest ones you could buy from the factory was the Dual quad 426 hemi dodge dart.It didnt come equipped with a backseat.It was basically a street legal drag car.O-100 in 2.5 seconds.there was a warning label on the dash board "DO NOT KEEP THE ACCELERATOR FULLY DEPRESSED FOR MORE THAN 1 SECOND" must of been a hell of a ride.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Biggest engine I ever drove was a 1979 trans am smokey and the bandit ed. All back with gold chicken. T-tops!!! Remember ttops!! It would get up to able 30 mph just idling!! I believe it was a 6.6 liter if my memory serves me right. Didnt buy it but it was a fun test drive.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Biggest engine I ever drove was a 1979 trans am smokey and the bandit ed. All back with gold chicken. T-tops!!! Remember ttops!! It would get up to able 30 mph just idling!! I believe it was a 6.6 liter if my memory serves me right. Didnt buy it but it was a fun test drive.

We're gonna need to see a pic of you and that mustache......

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember like it was yesterday driving it into my driveway and my mother leaning out the window and just shaking her head no!! That's when I went with the mustang.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
426 Hemis were the fastest street cars I ever saw. Owned a 62 Impala 409, dual quads, 4 speed Muncie 4:11 rear, then a 66 GTO 389 tri power. Owned an XKE, an old vette and could not beat either a 427 ford galaxie or any MOPAR with a 426 hemi. Had other rods, even a D Gas rail and it couldn't turn the times a hemi did. Roadrunners problem was their 323 "sure-grip" rear end gears. Quick off the line, then dogs. Of course, gas was super cheap and so were parts. But I sure had fun...

Got to admitt, that 427 ford engine was fast too. A buddy of mine ran an AC Cobra with the 427 Ford engine in Class A Sports production. It had Hilderbrand fuel injection and went like greased lightning. Never got beat. Frank

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
One at a time. Worked with an ol boy near retired had 7! Polebarns full of tractors he restored.
Cars more like guns and unlike women,you can have more than one favorite and they don,t get jealous. Also unlike women when they leave you can actually gain money.

If I find that big cache, that is about what I would do. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Never had a single ticket . Like Junior Johnson said , 'What I was doin , I wasn't gonna stop nohow .' :laughing7:

I could always out run there cars, But the radio was faster, sad to say. Frank

111-1 profileblk.jpg

Skwerly

Jan 24, 2013
Yucaipa, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the quickest ones you could buy from the factory was the Dual quad 426 hemi dodge dart.It didnt come equipped with a backseat.It was basically a street legal drag car.O-100 in 2.5 seconds.there was a warning label on the dash board "DO NOT KEEP THE ACCELERATOR FULLY DEPRESSED FOR MORE THAN 1 SECOND" must of been a hell of a ride.

haha, NO car is quite that fast. :D

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: BOY,HOWDY! Tank full of $0.22/gal Amoco gas , $5 in your pocket for a meal for two , and a fresh pint of whiskey under the front seat on a Saturday night ........................................
>MAN ! You had a front row chance of boffin at least one cheerleader from one of the 3 high schools in my town when I was in high school .
>Obviously prices have escalated for all venues since 1966 .

You didn't forget the "spare tire" in your back pocket, did you? lol .. Frank

111-1 profileRED.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
What I remember most was pulling the 440 and tranny out, and putting it in a rail in New Jersy (not me, but the previous owner) and that stock setup hitting 160 in the quarter mile . . . only modification to the mechanics was the tranny. Park, Reverse, Neutral, First, Second then Drive (going from top to bottom). The car was always an auto that had to be shifted manually. That reverse order made it a lot safer when you shifted manually.

Ever seen one hit reverse at 80+ mph? Not pretty.

WE use to set the converters to slip to 2500 then lockup. They took off like a jackrabbit when you stomped it and never quit. The fasted guy around had the pushbutton shifter. They called him Pushbutton Wilson. ..Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
1971 Plymouth Duster. Bought it from an old lady for $350. She had stored it in her barn for ten years before and was the original owner. After I washed of 2 inches of dust, I was amazed that it looked like new. Of course I was only 15 so I trashed it for the next 3 years and it ended up in the junkyard.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Here's an oddball, but fast one I owned back in '63. It was a '63 Pontiac Tempest Le Mans convert. Metalic blue with a powder blue top. They had a V8 and a 4 cylinder"Iron Duke". You guessed it, I got the V8. It was an odd mechanical setup. It had independent rear suspension, a fiberglass drive shaft, and the trany was part of the rear. It was the next size down from full size, so it had a great power to weight ratio. It could keep up with the GTO's . You could only get a 3 speed or auto with the V8. You guessed it again. I got the 3 on the floor. The big problem was getting it moving without burning rubber. My rear tires lasted 2 months, at best. The car had 1 big design fault. Because of the fiberglass drive shaft the pinion gear would slide back and forth on the ring gear and wear out in about 9 months. It was replaced twice under warrenty. I had this car when I got married, so after it was sold, I went into a series of van purchases. Frank

111-1 profileRED.jpg

S

stefen

55 Chevy farm truck...6 cy with 3 spd stick...like to think that it got more tang than a toilet seat...that'd be wishful thinking...

Now have a 55 Truck with V8 Auto CHEV 1.jpg CHEV 2.jpg CHEV 4.jpg CHEV 6.jpg and too old to be wishful thinking

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
S

stefen

Changed out a bunch of items not reflected in the pictures...

Changed out bumpers, grill & lights to chrome
New Colorado Alum Billet wheels & Run-Flat tires (in picture)
Added new interior and headliner
Rewired entire truck.
New billet aluminum radiator
New dual exhaust syetem
New white oak bed (in picture)
New door hinges, latches, hardware
New windshield, side & rear windows & rubber
New power steering & front end & steering column
New power brakes
And a lot of minor items...

Its the proverbial black hole...needs a rear-end mod

Fortunate to have a Chevrolet Classic Truck Parts House about a mile away

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice truck stefen:icon_thumright:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
haha, NO car is quite that fast.

I'm afraid there is lol.Back when i was into cars I use to buy NHR magazines.The Dual quad Hemi Dodge Dart was featured in one issue.A brand new Hemi Dart would set you back 2500 bucks back then.Excellent power to weight ratio,even the small block darts had an excellent power to weight ratio.I owned a 1970 Dodge dart swinger 340 V8 275 HP,it would do the mid 11seconds in the 1/4 mile all day,factory stock.A factory stock hemi is putting out 425 HP,dual quads on it puts it close to 450 HP.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
First hot rod was a 47 Ford coupe. I replaced the 59A block with a 54 Olds engine. Three Stromberg 97's and a Howard 8 cycle cam that never got installed.
A kid can drop a lotta bucks in a car.
I've still have my 81 Harley Sturgis shovelhead. I think it was one of the best looking HD's ever made. It's beginning to hurt to ride though. I'll show the bike if I ever take the time to do the picture thing. Odd thing is I've always been heavy into photography. Lazy me thinks.

The old Ford and Merc flathead motors, 1939-1951, still get a lot of respect at Bonneville Salt Flats. Especially the Ardun overhead valve conversions. They set a lot of records and still race them. Before the small block Chevy, there was never a motor more modified. The French copied the motor in recent years and as good old blocks have become scarce there is talk of allowing French flatheads to race as the old flaties.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions