Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
There ain't no hole in the bucket, Dear Liza, dear Liza

Nope...ain't no hole. Well as far as I can see at this point.

I haven't posted in a long time mainly because I hunt lumber camps and other historic sites in northern Michigan and I figure there's little interest in these types of finds.

But I have been digging a good number of Indian cents too. Nothing outstanding like what I'm seeing posted here these days.

But, I'll make this an exception.

I was working one of my better lumber camp sites today. It's now a rundown modern residence but I have permission to hunt the entire property. Back in the 1890's the lumberjacks lived at this location and did some of their blacksmith work here for the great lumber baron David Ward. I've even dug meal tokens here with Ward's name on them.

This is an old bucket and I plan to restore it and it will eventually end up in my office as a magazine holder.

The little dogie was found about 7 inches deep on my way to the hunting site. It looks like an early game piece? It's about the size of a penny.

The round tin in the last picture has something heavy inside. Any ideas on how to open it without killing what might be inside?

Thanks for your time.

Badger

Attachments

• dig9-20-07.jpg
    dig9-20-07.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 733
  • dig9-20-07a.jpg
    dig9-20-07a.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 746
  • dig9-20-07b.jpg
    dig9-20-07b.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 742
  • dig9-20-07c.jpg
    dig9-20-07c.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 736
Upvote 0

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: There ain't no hole in the bucket, Dear Liza, dear Liza

Cool finds-love the dog..it does look very familiar..what year did Monopoly come out? I've just restored an old mail box that was rusted shut and had a lot of success getting the corrosion off of it with Naval Jelly. Just a thought. Please keep us informed when you do get it opened.

S

stefen

When I was a kid, I had a set of black and white scotties with magnets...that looks like one of them.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Natman, I agree. It does look like a Monopoly piece.

dave-enc, thanks!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS, thanks for the lyrics and link!

lumbercamp, thanks for the encouragement! The lumbering era is very important when studying the development of our country.

SWR, I don't think this tin was ever that merry LOL!

kevo, I agree.

piggman1, yes, most of these I find are totally rusted away. But for some reason some servive better.

TeddyB1967, Thanks!

plehbah, you're right, I did have to cut it open. See the picture.

Boobydoo, thanks! I would have settled for an Indian cent. Oh well, maybe next time.

Nana40, that buckle is one of the heaviest I've found yet at the site.

KirkPA, I just received the GT last week. I only have about 20 hours on it and already I'm liking it a lot! It may well turn out to be my best detector ever.

Postalrevnant, thanks much!

UnEarthed72, yes I'd say it's lead.

Ashleen, thanks! I like these old pieces too. This winter I'll clean it up and do a little restoration work. I'll probably line it with felt and make it into a magazine/newspaper holder.

BuckleBoy, I agree. Those Indians are cool finds.

trikikiwi, yes, that's what SWR was referring to. I like the moped in your avatar. I could use one of them to reach some sites.

doozis, it tuned out to be nasty rusty water. Maybe next time.

gypsyheart, this one will be a magazine holder but it would look better as a flower pot.

au4me, if I showed it all I think there'd be an iron overdose here lol!

artemis moon, thanks for the idea. I'm really surprised so many here like this sort of thing. I guess I was wrong. I figured this was only a coin/ring forum. Thanks!

stefen, you could be right. I never thought about those.

Badger

I just posted a video of this find on YouTube:

Attachments

• dig9-20-07d.jpg
    dig9-20-07d.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 311
  • dig9-20-07e.jpg
    dig9-20-07e.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 321

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE

Well I have only used my new (to me) sovereign twice, and when I saw the picture above, I thought, huh, I'm not the only one that can't pinpoint with this thing! :D

But then I read you dug the bucket :-\

Oh well, a little more time and I can get back to diggin nice plugs.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

nc-joe said:
Well I have only used my new (to me) sovereign twice, and when I saw the picture above, I thought, huh, I'm not the only one that can't pinpoint with this thing! :D

But then I read you dug the bucket :-\

Oh well, a little more time and I can get back to diggin nice plugs.

Hi Joe,

The GT really does pinpoint extremely well but the secret is to swing back and forth while you move the coil toward you. The target will be just ahead of that little logo.

Also, good targets like coins and rings are easy to pinpoint. It's those false signals from too much sensitivity that make for bucket sized holes ;D

I hunt in AUTO sensitivity with IRON MASK on. It works great and usually the coin is dead center the plug.

Before the GT I averaged about dozen nails. Since the GT I've dug zero nails and lots of wheats.

HH,

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread