There arent any 202-Year-Old Coins in Kentucky.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There aren't any 202-Year-Old Coins in Kentucky.

Of course not... :wink: ;D

I went out day before yesterday to rehunt an old spot that something just kept calling me back to--and I wanted to share those finds before I got to the good story. Keepers were thin, but I got a bridle rosette, a toasted late 1860s IH, a .69 cal round ball with the sprue still attached, a neat silver plated buckle that was wadded up and close to a foot down, and a very cool little key which was the find of the day. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

And now on to the better story... :) Yesterday, HB invited me to go back to his 8 Reales spot for another rehunt and I couldn't say "yes" fast enough. We got out there on the site and got digging. HB hit a button patch almost immediately and dug two pewter buttons and a good many brass ones. I was worried that I might get skunked, but I continued to clear Big Iron off the site so that I could find the goodies. Pretty soon I dug a target that sounded fairly good and once it was out of the hole I knew it had to be a copper. Here's what I saw laying in the dirt:

3.jpg

4.jpg

It was a beautiful 1825 LC. :hello2: Meanwhile HB started to rack up some nice brass targets like part of a teardrop style stirrup, more buttons, and some other bits. Well...I took it easy because I didn't want to be the only copper magnet hunting on HB's spot. So I cleared some more iron, finding a nice cast iron stove leg (I clean them up and turn them into door stops).

Pretty soon I had another iffy target that I thought would be iron. I dug down and down through the busted up stones and iron-infested soil, then checked the hole. The target was out. I expected the signal to break up like it does with much of the big junk iron when the halo is broken, but the signal was even louder. :o I told HB that he would probably kill me, but that I thought I had another copper. When he came over, I was looking at a really worn copper in the dirt:

5.jpg

6.jpg

I was hoping for an oldie, but I couldn't see anything on the face of the coin. Turning it over, I could read "ONE CENT" plus the fraction under the wreath and knew that I had a Draped Bust LC. :headbang:

We hunted a while longer, and HB got a whole pocketwatch and a piece of a spur. The last signal I got was a whole harmonica reed and what looked like a tin-foil-thin piece of brass in the hole. I picked up the harmonica reed, then rechecked the hole. Another signal blared through the speaker. It was another whole harmonica reed. I almost walked away from the hole before I realized what the thin brass pieces were: the outside of the harmonica. (I have only found a piece of one of the outside covers before.) So I switched to all-metal and gathered up as many pieces as I could find.

Then we headed out, took some finds photos on the truck tailgate, talked over the game plan for the weekend hunts, and went home to clean finds. Here are HB's finds, just dug:

7.jpg

8.jpg

And mine:

9.jpg

10.jpg

Here are HB's goodies cleaned up. The spur has decorative "dimples" on it, which if I recall correctly may mean that it was an officer's item. The standard issue spurs had no such decoration. The pocketwatch (photo is in the first reply), I think he is going to soak it in mineral oil and see if it will open. Any tips on how to get the watch open are much appreciated. This is the first pocketwatch I have personally seen dug that was complete.

11.jpg

12.jpg

There are more photos below:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: There aren't any 202-Year-Old Coins in Kentucky.

HB's pocket watch, what looks like a furniture drawer pull back plate, and keyhole piece:

1a.jpg

My finds after cleaning. The harmonica is a Hohner. :icon_sunny: I also got a bridle rosette, and I think the piece to the left of the LC's is a keyhole cover from an old lock. It says "Patent" on it.

2a.jpg

The two LC's. The front of the Draped Bust is pretty toasty, but I can see 1-8-0-? in the date. I am fairly certain that this coin is an 1807 Draped Bust, Sheldon 274. The 1825 LC is a beauty. :)

3a.jpg

Best Wishes and HH,

Buckles

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds buckleboy. The patina on that large cent is beautiful!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Nice finds buckleboy. The patina on that large cent is beautiful!

Thanks johnny for the kind words. That 1825 is a real Kentucky Greenie. :)

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dang it, that is a Great Site. I really like the varieties, Congrats on the Coppers and all the Great Finds.

:read2: :thumbsup: Nova Treasure

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds. Very nice coins on the old watch case any name scratched in it. Some times they would put there name inside.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good hunt for sure, lots of buttons, relics and two more Largies to boot! Fairly certain it is an 1807 Sheldon 274, the 1825 is harder to say, need a good photo of the reverse to get variety if you want to know it.

Don

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO

Ah, he strikes again. Great finds, real nice coppa you found, "1825." :hello2:

Mlhudson

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2

Great finds, Buckleboy, especially the LC's. What a wonderful pair of coins!

I was in Versailles, KY from Oct 25 thru the 29th. Absolutely gorgeous this time of year, and I couldn't help but wish for my detector as we were driving past all of those gorgeous horse farms (and yep, lots of bean fields with the beans still standing). If there is any part of the country that could tempt me away from Northern CA, it is the area around Versailles.

On my second dig after returning home to CA, I ended up with a token from the Labrot & Graham distillery! Weird what turns up.

MP

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YOU LUCKY DOGS!!!! :hello2:
Great jobs on the old copper BB. :icon_thumleft: A job well done.
Any idea on the age of that harmonica yet? Is that a dat I see on it? ???
Congrats to a super hunt guys,
MM
P.S. A full pocket watch is tough to find!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice coppers Bucks!!!

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My kind of finds ... nice relics, buttons, and LCs (especially the beautiful 1825) ... congratz on some great hunting!

Jimmy

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

That LC is great. Not to say everything else is bad......wow nice stuff all the way around. Congrats. :thumbsup: jgas

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like we both put a tectin beatin on the PA bros this week! :headbang:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Buck, you have been a copper-digging machine these last two weeks. :notworthy: :headbang: That Draped Bust's reverse is very nice for a field-dug copper. I'd love to see a pic of the obverse.

I feel some early silver coming from that site. I can feel it, Buck!

Kyle

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250

Wow what a great hunt, love those largies the 1825 is a beaut all of your other finds are real keepers too. Great to see such stuff coming out of a "down home" site. Keep it up!

sonny61

Sep 9, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Prizm 4, Surfmaster ll

good finds BB

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post Buckles, love those coppers. Any idea on the date of the draped? :icon_salut:
P.S. never mind I read it closer, 1807

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.

Great photos, and beautiful finds. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread