There is Buffalo in PA!

MD'ing Zombie

May 29, 2011
Altoona PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well i went on my first hunt of the year...been cold her till the past week. well went to a place called Highland park, old park been around for most of Altoona PA life. Nice size park. about 2 -3 foot ball fields or more. Start on one side...and only swung my detector like 2 feet and got a iffy sound....coming up nickel or pull tab at about 4 inches. dug it up and here it was a Buffalo Nickel..no date that I can see and it was kinda rough, but you can see the buffalo. will try to get better Photos of it. cant see a date and from what i understand lot so of them don't have dates anyway. but for the first coin of the year that's not bad. and this would be the oldest coin I'm guessing other than that I only found a wheat penny.

found a little clad...like 36 cents. Lots of pull tabs. the park is SUPER ROCKY, need a shovel for that...did dig up a part of an earring or something...was gold and at first i thought it was a ring...almost wet my want with excitement :p but it was junk.

a guy that live in a house here there for 70 years told me a area of the side of the park called the Bridal Walk...a bunch of stone cut in to steps and end in the the side of a hill. it was good luck back in the day for couples after they got hitched to walk up the steps. went to check it out and you can still make them out well...been there almost as long as the park, will hit them next time I'm near there

Going to a State park tomorrow before the beach opens. Hope i find a ring to give to my wife so i can find more "free time" to go detecting LOL. hope this is the first post of many this summer.

Sorry the photos are so bright. will fix that next time.

Attachments

• first buff.jpg
    first buff.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 409
  • P1040382.jpg
    P1040382.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 412
Upvote 0

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job.. good luck with finding a ring to get more free time..

M

mikusek

Hope next time you find a few Indians that hunted the Buffalo....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread