Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These aren't actually of today...

but rather from the fall of last year. We had a local grouse that apparently decided our neighborhood was HIS domain!! He stayed around the area from around October through the winter and was gone in spring.

He went into people's garages, chased cars down the road and driveway and would follow me around the yard while I mowed the lawn.

He wasn't tame or anyone's pet that I know of, but he sure acted weird!!! Pretty cool to be able to come that close to him though.

Attachments

• P1010300 (2).JPG
    P1010300 (2).JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 225

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Re: These aren't actually of today...

Ohhh too sweet. I'd have kept it but..... Micki would have had tooooo much fun, or tried to, if she had enough energy ;)! Great picture!

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Ohhh too sweet. I'd have kept it but..... Micki would have had tooooo much fun, or tried to, if she had enough energy ;)! Great picture!

Hehe - yah, my Brittany wasn't too pleased with us for not letting him outside to "play" with his new toy when the grouse flew into the pine tree by our back deck, climbed down a branch and jumped onto the railing to watch my wife water her flowers - I'll see if I can dig up that picture with our dog on one side of the glass slider door and the grouse on the other :)

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat pic, thanks for sharing.

Fossis.............

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a neat pic. . . maybe some of the neighbors had been feeding it and was following you around for its next free meal.

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

watercolor said:
That is a neat pic. . . maybe some of the neighbors had been feeding it and was following you around for its next free meal.

I did find out that some were feeding it, so that's a distinct possibility. It was so weird though because it would seem to come running as soon as you started making noises. In fact, like I said, it would follow me around while I mowed the lawn. Eventually it started even getting a little "aggressive" in that if you turned your back on it and started walking away, it would come up really fast and peck/flap at the back of your leg.

We were afraid of running it over with the car because it would chase us down the driveway and often just stand there in front of us until we got out and tried to shoo it off the road at which point it would leave and then run back after us as we started moving.

We have coyotes, fishers, cats etc... in the neighborhood, so I didn't actually expect it to stay alive as long as it did - it's gone now, so I don't know if it was killed or just decided to move on to a better neighborhood.

It was pretty neat though - we never fed it as I generally don't like to encourage wild animals like that since it makes them so susceptible to being hurt, captured or killed.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Sounds more like a goose, we used to have one like that. If you turned around and stomped your foot, he was running the other way. It must have been fun having it around :).

Did you find the other picture yet? :D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Real neat lil birdie. ;D ;D I thought when I saw a real live roadrunner that those were cute too.

;) RR

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's really interesting, Cubfan.

Thanks for the laugh. What a great "pet". :D