they are "culling" in the Phoenix district. MOre info

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I'm learning more, but information is hard to come by. BUt, thanks to new technology, they ARE culling silver coins in Phoenix. At least with the Halves re-rolling machine. Here's what I have so far. (More to follow when I can get it. And I know some will disagree with this post. But, this is what I have been told, and this is what I have seen with my own eyes and asked about with my own mouth)

The new-ish coin counting machine at my local bank rejects a lot of coins. Foriegn coins, slugs, fakes, etc. And some flat batteries and nuts and bolts and screws too. Junk people throw in the machine. It all goes into the reject slot. At the end of a period of time, whenever they feel like enptying it, they take it, and it goes into the trash. I have SEEN them throw it in the trash WITH a silver dime in it that I TOLD them was silver. they said "We are not allowed to keep anything in the reject slot OR give it out. Sorry. We must throw it out." They threw away 12 - 15 coins that day. A few bent pennies, a bent nickel, a fake somthing, a mexican coin, the silver dime, and some other unknown things. And I've seen this more than once when they have emptied that tray while changing a bag for me while I was there. the ONLY thing they will give me is if I peek at it whiel they are changing the bag and see a half in there, I then say "Hey, I think one of my halves is missing. Did it go to the reject tray?" Then they look, give me the half that is there (Since I saw it already!) and if there are other coins there, they LEAVE them there or throw them out. I asked the manager about it when he was changing the bag for me one day. He said "We can't take any of the coins that get rejected. Once they are rejected, they are trash, even if we KNOW they are silver or halves or anything of value. It sucks, but that's our rules, and if we take a silver dime home it is not worth getting fired over." So they take that as part of the job, and throw away good money. I think when banks that take it in without a discriminating machine like my one bank has (When they take customer rolled coin) they send the coin to the central area to be rerolled and counted for the bank's credit, and there they TOO get those same "rejects". they get counted as rejects and taken off of the banks total. What happens then I do not know. I HOPE that they do NOT have to throw them away, like the bank does!!!! But I guarantee with 100% accuracy and first hand knowledge that the bank DOES throw AWAY the silver that gets put in their reject tray, and they KNOW it is silver. What the rolling area does with it now that they have a similar machine I do not know. I bet since the volume is so much more that they get to keep it, but the silver comes OFF the bank's total, and the bank gets a lower count.

Yes, the machine exists in my locak dump banks, and yes I was told the same machines, in a biger versios, were recently sinstalled by "Brinks" (Or whoever it is that does the counting and rolling) at their facility.

Might be worth savaging through their trash once a week to see! LOL.

heading to NC and VA in 36 hours. May have to check out some banks while driving around out there, if I get time before the auction. :-)

Upvote 0

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So will we be seeing a trend in trash bag loose coin hunting in the back of Phoenix area banks? Hey its all profit.

Btw first post since forum remodel...really dont like it...ok back to bank trash hunting!!!

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
wow. Those machines, if instituted nation-wide, would eliminate the desire to ever order boxed coins for CRH purposes again. I would pay good money to have a discussion with a coin processing (brinks, lomis, etc.) employee... especially one that wasn't sworn to secrecy about coin operations. I will have to say though, that there have to be some of these coin processing employees reading this very forum. They, for some reason, do not feel the need to elaborate... even though the topic comes up quite often. Then again, I probably wouldn't either.

I'll have to say though, that one wouldn't think that the coin processors would want to eliminate CRH box orders. I would think that they even make more $ off the box orders than they would the silver that they could cull. The silver would eventually run super low, but one would think that CRH would continue indefinitely (thus a continuous stream of income/ job security for these companies) if they stopped culling the silver. Having said that, I do believe that the bottom level employees whose job it is to fill boxes and deliver them would definitely want to put a stop to CRH, as it only make thier job more difficult. Otherwise, for the coin processing industry as a whole, CRH is a cash cow. And I do believe that the coin processing companies have to know the benefits of CRH to their bottom line.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my banks has the coin counter with a tray for the customer to take back there coin or whatever. But I'm not going to put a silver in to test if it gets counted or rejected

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
They probably have to throw even US coins away. They have no way to balance, unless the coins went into a slush fund. Never heard of a slush fund at a bank. A CU on the other hand...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD bank's penny arcade accepts silver half dollars, I know that one because the bag was full of silver before, but their policy is "not to sell off penny"

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A while ago I was at TD with my dad and after he filled up a nickel bag I spotted a 40% Kennedy in the halves bag. I asked if I could buy it from them and the teller told me they needed to maintain the count for the bag. However she did let me trade a clad half for the 40%! :D

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
TD bank's penny arcade accepts silver half dollars, I know that one because the bag was full of silver before, but their policy is "not to sell off penny"

Are you using the newest machines or older ones? The one thing I like about the Penny Arcades at TD is that they eject silver. I was at a branch today and found both a silver dime and a silver quarter in the return shut.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you using the newest machines or older ones? The one thing I like about the Penny Arcades at TD is that they eject silver. I was at a branch today and found both a silver dime and a silver quarter in the return shut.
WHO in their right mind would not check the reject tray after dumping. We give thanks.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I wonder, did any of your 80 plus boxes come from BoA? I know that when coin is turned into BoA they bag it, tag it, and it goes to the cash vault. So, the only way for coin to be filtered would be AT the cash vault when they are re rolled.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
midntmn what part of the country are you in that TD penny arcades eject silver? The TD banks in the mid atlantic I have visited treat silver like any other coin.

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who exactly is the "they" in 'they are culling'? I'm not trying to stir the pot however from the info in the thread, it appears to me that the new machines that allow people to dump is rejecting silver coins. Maybe I read that section wrong but if that's the case, there wouldn't appear to me to be any kind of institutional culling going on of silver coins either with the bank or with the bank vault/carriers. Just sounds to me like Phoenix has gone dry.

I'm not sure about TD Bank penny arcades as they aren't in my area. Here, we have a couple banks that have coin machines which have 2 ways coins are rejected. First is the reject tray which does not sort silver but ejects bent coins and foreigns. Second is a debris cup which is designed to collect screws, buttons and other junk. It does also collect some coins which on occasion turn out to be silver. When I dump in those machines, I always ask to see if there's anything in that cup. Even if not silver, it's free money. When they have the machine open, I also check a couple small magnets that typically have some Canadians stuck to them. I have also pulled 2 steel pennys from that location.

Outside of those couple banks, the only other coin machines are CoinStars. They are calibrated to reject silver which has occasionally paid off. I typically use these for nickels because the total $ amount is relatively low and there's no charge if you use CoinStar to get Amazon gift certificates. I've got a baby at home so the need for Amazon diapers and baby supply more than takes care of a couple hundred in nickels (these are bonus searches as I typically look at dimes and halves).

As its been said many times before, neither banks or carriers cull silver except what the tellers pull for themselves. This shouldn't be minimized because I know a number of banks where every single half that comes in the door gets checked. Because we don't have machines here, that means all the coins coming in from the public, both individuals and from businesses, have to go through a teller. I've yet to find a BoA where the tellers weren't uniformly culling silver halves. They are my bank of choice for dumping as a result. I like to give them something to look through. Thankfully, there are a couple smaller, local banks that tend to hire younger people or folks that are new to the US that aren't so informed on coinage. They often hand over silver thinking I'm some kind of coot.

Please forgive the rambling.

peace out!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come across tellers that cull silver, and also many that don't. It all really depends. Sometimes certain employees do, so it depends on whether they're there or not when the silver comes in. I've considered many times getting a 2nd job at a bank to cull silver :)

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I cannot help but notice this thread was started on April 1.

Rascal

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was but its not a joke,Take a look at his other thread about doing a major search of 82 or 83 boxes in the Phoenix area and only 1 40% coin found

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Must be a new machine, though the tellers say it's "a dinosaur" referring to age.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
WHO in their right mind would not check the reject tray after dumping. We give thanks.

Someone might not know where the reject tray is and/or might think they are all fake/foreign and worthless. Unfortunately, the machine reminds the customers to check it.:angry9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread