They dropped the F-bomb on me! Need some advice.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all,

I went to the bank that ordered me the 4 boxes last week, and ordered 6 more for this week. The head teller asked if this was going to be a regular thing. I said "probably". She then informed me that if it is, they're going to have to charge me a fee, like they do for businesses. I asked her if this one could go through, and I'd speak to my other banks to see if they could do the orders for me. So, here's what I'm thinkin': I'll try staggering my orders through different branches of that bank and my other one. I know that they'll catch on eventually, and probably sooner rather than later, but I don't know what else to do. My wife thinks that we've got too many banks and accounts as is. I'd like to open accounts with two more banks here in town. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've got accounts at three different banks here in town and two useless ones in Kentucky. I've used one here in town that has only the one branch location as a dump, but not lately, and may try to order from them, with the promise not to dump there anymore. The other is strictly a dump bank, but they've got many branches. Could I order from one branch, then dump in another branch of the same bank?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I got F bombed today on handrolled halves. twenty cents per roll. I told the manager that I've been taking halves off of them for the past 10 months. I asked if they are charging me a fee because the bank is having financial difficulties? And if so, I will have to notify my family and neighbors in town. Without stopping to catch my breath I quickly blurted out."Are the newspapers aware of the banks financial problems"?
The bottom line was the fee was waived.
I only got four rolls and can afford the .80, it's the point that the bank is nickel and diming me. These were customer rolled coins too that they wanted to charge me for.
I don't order boxes, but if I did I would never pay a fee. Just move on to another bank that does not charge.
I don't know if it is just in my State or something Obamination started but there are supposed to be some new fees banks will be paying. So they will be passed on to us

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
The bottom line is move to another bank... There is willing banks that will order boxes for you and not charge a fee. Make sure when you find a new bank you let the manager know why you are closing your account with that bank.

NEVER pay a fee...

Jason

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i hate the nickel and dime crap too. i think that as silver goes up and more people start searching for it the banks will come up with a way to charge fees for ordering and dumping. i would just move on and find a bank that does not charge.....while you still can

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Speaking of BOMB's did you hear about the Jihadist's new secret weapon- BOMB, it is undetectable & looks to be a devastating weapon; I'm calling it the "A" BOMB, they were talking about it on the News tonite. It seems they are stuffing their hiney's with plastiq explosives and blowing their own A'ses up! Am NOT kidding.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich,

I'd've done the same thing. That's absolutely reeeediculous!!

Shake and Silvercop,

Well, I'll have to leave that one open. My wife wants to deal with them for the checking account, and their savings rate is more competitive than any of the others. I'll talk with the head teller again in private, because my wife brought up a good point. When we were opening the accounts, I specifically asked about ordering coins, and the fella said that it wouldn't be a problem. I'll never pay a fee. I'll try to find out if it's just halves that will be a problem or if I can order nickels and such without the fee, or reduce the number of orders per month, but I don't intend to pay a fee. I may divert some money around though, so that I have more banks and can order on a rotating schedule. I tried to buy a box of nickels from one bank here in town, and they wanted to charge me 5%. No thanks. I'll just take the halves.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Hey buddy - While I don't have specific advice on the fee issue I do have some helpful advice you can use going forward with whatever banks you use: After sometime at my pick-up bank I asked to see the manager and praised the three tellers who have been serving me for the past several months, explaining that they are giving me excellent customer service by getting my weekingly boxes and rolls with a smile. I told the manager that I am going to purposely put more $ in their bank as opposed to a different bank specifically because of their coin service. I know this only helps with banks you have an account with, but It is important to solidify your position with them. At my bank, after my compliments, the place seemed to go wild, they were carrying coins out to the car for me and everything. Now everytime I deposit a check at that bank, the tellers are getting the credit - and I am getting great service. They know to pull the handrolls and look for old rolls, ( never mentioned silver of course, just that I have been collecting coins for a while and I tend to need the older ones )
Also, in a separate scenario I was able to make friends with the manager of my dump bank. Athough I have a small account there, he didn't know it. I explained how I have many boxes to dump and I try to spread them around in consideration of their tellers. They seemed to be very grateful for my attitude and insisted that I dump as much as I want as often as I want at their branch. Not bad for a dump bank. So, keep workin those relationships and if a bank is uncooperative, just find another.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The key is to have clout. You can slink away and go to another bank, but eventually you'll run out or be so inconvenienced that you'll give up the hobby; or you can stand firm. I maintain substantial balances in my accounts. Don't be afraid to ask for their supervisor's name and phone number. Keep going up the chain of command until they capitulate.

Couple of months ago, I was confronted with fees to deposit. Told the fat man that I don't pay fees. He proceeded to push his weight demanding that he was the bank manager and controlled the business in the bank. His word was the final word. Needless to say, he no longer works in that capacity. I was kind enough to say hello as I walked past him (toting my 8K in halves) at a different branch that he was reassigned to. He no longer had his office and was doing customer service in a cube farm.

Another bank, I was looking to place an order for 4k. Bank manager said they do not order coin for specific customers. I explained that he does, but isn't aware of the process. He said no, he will not. Called the district manager when I got home, and have a weekly order of 4k waiting for me.

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
Rich,

I LOVE what you did! :icon_thumleft:

"Should I be worried? Is the bank going to fail? Should I pull all my money out?"

hahah

I can just see his eyes widening. lol

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich, great advice. I like it.

I know at one of my order banks which I have an account at for the past 10 years I am pushing the envelope. The branch manager at one branch seems to get more irritated every time I call in an order. At least for now she is letting me do it. I try to keep a substantial amount of money in my account so they will back off once they tell me no. Another branch of the same bank orders what ever I need. They seem happy to do it for me.

What I find amusing is numerious times at banks where I dont have an account they have offered to order me boxes knowing that I dont have an account. I know the next bank I will go to once I get the "F" word, I have already planned it out.

Lucky Jack

Jul 31, 2007
there's an article on the coinflation.com site today about how B of A (Bunch of A-ho's) is now forcing customers to wait up to two weeks while the bank sends the customer's hand rolled coins off to another facility where they count them. Evidently the tellers don't know how to count coins anymore. I've always hated the way B of A chrages fees for everything they can. They are always the first to try and screw the public out of something.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Well, there's been a change of fortune. The bank manager called me today, since we'd just recently opened the accounts, to make sure that all was in order with the debit cards, checks, and online banking and if there was anything that she could do for me at present. I said that everything was fine, that everything was great and timely, and then inquired about ordering coins. I told her that I'd asked if ordering coins would be a problem when we were opening the accounts, and the representative said no, it wouldn't be a problem, no mention of fees or anything. I told her that the other day, I was wanting to put in a regular order and the teller said that they'd have to charge me a fee. She then said that it wouldn't be a problem, and that if I needed anything that I should go to a certain customer service rep or herself. So it looks pretty good.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I asked if they are charging me a fee because the bank is having financial difficulties? And if so, I will have to notify my family and neighbors in town. Without stopping to catch my breath I quickly blurted out."Are the newspapers aware of the banks financial problems"?
Rich, you sure are quick on your feet. thats the best move i ever heard. i bet they liked to $#!^ when you said that :laughing7:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky Jack said:
...today about how B of A (Bunch of A-ho's) is now forcing customers to wait up to two weeks while the bank sends the customer's hand rolled coins off to another facility where they count them.
BofA has always been that way here. I never bring bags of coins there anymore. Only did one and it took several days to get credited. I now take to two diff banks. one is wells fargo, I get credited immediatly. They might count it later, I don't know. but there has never been a discrepency.

That is why I chose WF when it came to a student loan, checking & credit card for my college bound daughter. (actually she has been in college one week now)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions