Theyre all dead!-UPDATE

F

Felinepeachy

They're all dead!-UPDATE

Okay, so I found the COOLEST place to hunt today. After I got home I looked up the parcel number and got the names of the legal owners of the property and found that they were dead. The husband died in 1987 and the wife died in 2004. Next I found their obits and it listed the names of their children so I looked them up and guess what? They're all dead too!! :tard:

My question is this; Why is this property still in the original owners names as of April 2009? My thought was that it still has to belong to the family.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next? :dontknow:

OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

Re: They're all dead!

Spooky said:
It just hasn't been noticed yet.

The state will take it and then auction it off, which is what they do to an "heirless" estate.

I'm not suggesting you do anything ILLEGAL, but right now, it's in "limbo".....

Oh no, it can't be. There has to be grandkids or something. :icon_scratch: There just has to be.

veronasteve

Mar 22, 2008

in england if you fence off some land after so many years if not contested you can claim it ,the same with a house something like 5-12 yrs (ive forgotten) i remember some squatters got a £750,000 property in london this way. :sign13:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

veronasteve said:
in england if you fence off some land after so many years if not contested you can claim it ,the same with a house something like 5-12 yrs (ive forgotten) i remember some squatters got a £750,000 property in london this way. :sign13:
I tried that at Stonehedge :laughing9: and got shot at :laughing9:

SS

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some cases, if there are no survivors, land taxes has to be paid. If the state had not took noticed that the original owners or hiers have passed on, Generally the state doesn't go after past due land taxes for a few years, sometimes longer than that. You could find out if the land taxes are past due. If they are, I heard in some cases you could pay the past due taxes and the property can become your with some paperwork.

I had a couple of friends who had gotten vacant and abandoned properties that way, when the previous owners were deceased and had no living relatives and the taxes were past due like one was 10 years and the other was somewhere around 4-6 years.

One guy got 10 acres for $289.00 I think, and the other one got the vacant lot for less than $50.00

It is worth checking out.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It may be in probate.

Check with the county clerk.

Check with the funeral home listed on the obit and see who took care of final arrangements for
another clue to relatives.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeep said:
It may be in probate.

They would keep something like that in probate that long almost 10 years after the wife passed away and no living survivors? Just inquiring for my info.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheHarleyMan2 said:
Jeep said:
It may be in probate.

They would keep something like that in probate that long almost 10 years after the wife passed away and no living survivors? Just inquiring for my info.

Good point.

Probate usually runs between 6 months to a couple years depending on the estate.

If the estate is being contested it can run a lot longer for example look at the Anna Nicole Smith probate case.

It was in court for what, 12 or 13 years ?

I bet the funeral home would have a guest book and all kinds of useful info.

OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

UPDATE:

I called the county and explained what the deed said and he looked it up for me and found the current owner. A daughter that's married (name change). He gave me her contact info and I am trying to decide how to contact her. Email, phone call, in person? I prefer to do these things in person but I don't want to just show up at her house.

Any thoughts?

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Felinepeachy said:
UPDATE:

I called the county and explained what the deed said and he looked it up for me and found the current owner. A daughter that's married (name change). He gave me her contact info and I am trying to decide how to contact her. Email, phone call, in person? I prefer to do these things in person but I don't want to just show up at her house.

Any thoughts?

Phone call or accidently bump into her at the grocery store ;D

OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

Re: They're all dead!-UPDATE

Dang I was hoping phone call wouldn't be the answer. I get all flustered on the phone, I don't know why :dontknow: In person, it's a whole other story ;D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I say go to her home and introduce yourself and tell her waht you would like to do. I have done very well asking for permission in person....Matt

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeep said:
If the estate is being contested it can run a lot longer for example look at the Anna Nicole Smith probate case.

It was in court for what, 12 or 13 years ?

You have a point but Anna Nicole Smiths Estate was somewhere in the millions so that is understandable it taking that long.

baldy804

May 6, 2010

tell you what give me the contact info ill make the call and if the anwser is yes then we can go detect it :headbang: j/k good luck and hope u getter done

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Felinepeachy said:
Dang I was hoping phone call wouldn't be the answer. I get all flustered on the phone, I don't know why :dontknow: In person, it's a whole other story ;D

Oouu, ouuu, let me call, I'm good on the phone with that kinda stuff. :tongue3:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Everyone is pretty much right.

Someone is executor of the estate - somewhere. Even if it is the county or state. It can take years to transfer an intestate property, but, it could also have an executor who takes care of it until some child, or grandchild or whomever, is old enough to legally take possession.

Like previously posted, call the assessor and get name and address of who the taxes go to. Some won't do it over the phone, (or they charge), but it is public information - so, if nothing else, you can go to the assessors office and ask to see the assessment card (or whatever they use in that state/county. In person, they have to give it to you or at least let you look yourself. Nowadays, a lot of assessment offices have a computer on the counter for your use. You need a name or an address or a parcel number - and it will tell you the rest.

Beth

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spooky said:
It just hasn't been noticed yet.

The state will take it and then auction it off, which is what they do to an "heirless" estate.

I'm not suggesting you do anything ILLEGAL, but right now, it's in "limbo".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQwHwP0ojI

Worse than dead, his brain is gone!!

Don't worry Jim, I'm going to get a metal detector and be a prospector. Don't need a brain, just a strong back. (lol)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread