Theyre tearin out the sidewalks by my house... GRRR.....

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're tearin' out the sidewalks by my house... GRRR.....

So there's about a 3 block strip where the city is tearing out the sidewalks right in front of some old homes (probably 20's, 30's, 40's)

Tons of traffic goin' by, high profile area but SOOOO tempted to hit 'em but I can't work up the courage.

Every time I pass by I can't help but slow down and imagine the pocket full of silver loot they claim lies there.

We all know the easement area from the sidewalk to the curb is city property, but doubt the owners of the house realize that.

Should I ask permission or just boldly start swingin?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're referring to the actual bed of what will be the new walk, I just walk in and start swinging. One thing that can help avoid any interference is to wear a fluorescent safety vest that makes it look like you belong.
luvsdux

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go late in the evening when u know no one is working.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go about 4-5am and you probably won't see a soul! Or wear fluorescent shirt and tell any busy body's you're locating utilities.

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
4-5 am with fluorescent vest and hit it hard and fast like you belong there and I really doubt you will have a problem!

travelerga

Sep 22, 2013
Silkhope Ga
Detector(s) used
(currently, Lobo & AT Pro) whites 6DB, 6000, Fisher 5 zx, Tesoro Bandito micromax,Sand Shark, Tejon. Garret GT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell them you are looking for water and gas mains. that you are from 811 .

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask the home owners the workers the superintendent / clerk of works go at night in morning safety vest / camo just don't miss it cause you didn't try you'll always wonder

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scaredy-cat1380_2284196.jpg

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's already torn up nobody will care and if they do move on down the block

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all know the easement area from the sidewalk to the curb is city property, but doubt the owners of the house realize that.

The easement is not city property in my town, but the utilities have the right to do their work there. When I list a house for sale, property dimensions include this easement. I pay taxes on this part of the property because I own it. You can do anything to your easement as long as it does not interfere with the utilities and ability to work on the utilities. Which means, some cities no longer allow trees or bushes there. And if you plant flowers there the city has the right to dig them up without compensating you. Basically, you can plant grass between the sidewalk and the road. Older properties may have large trees there as they were grandfathered in.

Generally, if a utility company digs up your mailbox, they will put it back just to be nice but the law may not require them to do so in some towns.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't tear it up more than the city has already done, so just be careful to stay in the dirt and off of lawns and I doubt anyone would care.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It's funny how md'rs will have legitimate pro and con debates about parks or schools (whether or not you need to "ask" someone permission). But in the case of sidewalk tearouts, I don't see what the doubt or delay is. I mean, we're talking

a) sidewalks. So that's now outside the debate of "who owns the parking strip", right? Because the sidewalk, of all places, is MOST CERTAINLY public (how else can you walk on it ??)

b) as has been pointed out, it's tossled tumbled dirt now, so how can anyone even remotely worry about "holes" or whatever? I mean, sure put the dirt back in your hole, but no, we're not talking turf or whatever.

About the only skittishness I can see someone might have (and reason for this question) is the dreaded orange ribbon they might put up strung between barricades. Or cones or (gasp) "sidewalk closed" signs. But those are just there so that if anyone trips they can't sue the city. Just wait till after 5pm, and "go".

If you say the oldest homes are 1920's, it might be that the sidewalks themselves went in at the same time as the homes/streets went in. If so, then there might not be anything under them (as they didn't exist as dirt or wooden paths prior to the homes). Just gotta check and see. Seems that by the teens (for smaller towns) is when sidewalks started going in around residentials. Perhaps a bit earlier for commercial retail districts (downtowns). And very big cities got them earlier yet.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JUST DO IT...
Davers..:thumbsup:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The time of the year I always look forward to are street tear-up's :)
Any ground that's been scrapped from the sidewalk to the street is fair game.

Weekend mornings and after dinner on weekdays. . . homeowners I've met on tear-up blocks have always been curious
what we find and some have even offered to let us hunt their property (1890's homes).

One last thing. . . be honest.
Your interested in history and what might have been lost under the slabs for the past 80-years and
the last thing you want are homeowners asking you questions about street project details you can't answer.

Have fun!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Along with the orange vest have a can of fluorescent orange spray paint and spray the spots that you get a signal on!
They will most certainly think you're working for the utility company!:laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along with the orange vest have a can of fluorescent orange spray paint and spray the spots that you get a signal on! They will most certainly think you're working for the utility company!:laughing7:
Great idea! For crying out loud go for it! Worse that could happen you get hassled and move on politely. Report back with all the silver.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but you better get in there before someone else does or they finish the job. :dontknow: Road crews work really fast, it will be covered up again in a few days. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me help you with that...GET OUT THERE NOW!!!! You won't find it if you don't MD!

I found a large cent and a Barber dime when our sidewalk was ripped out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread