relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't cause I don't think they are in my area, but after reading about a mugging recently, I want something for protection like mace at least. I could get a weapon but
have'nt committed to that yet. Last weekend I was on a trail in St.Forest (PA) and a mountain lion crossed the path way up ahead. Those guys are stealthy -and they'll stalk you. A guy (in Europe) was attacked a few months ago by wild pigs. He's ok.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"wild pigs" ? I was tempted to try for the laugh, but can already see the Backlash :laughing7:

anyway when I'm detecting I don't even Fear The Reaper

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I have always envied others with their Historical Lands, Civil War Battle fields, Ocean shores full of ancient gold and silver. Guess I've never considered safety concerns whether natures beast or the dirtballs of society. I conceal carry but would be in trouble either way since when I'm detecting I'm totally engrossed in what I'm doing. Easy target for man or beast. Maybe totally crazy but how bout a canned aerosol warning horn and blast it at the beginning of your hunt and maybe at intervals if necessary. I know it's a crazy idea but might work.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We don't get to hunt in the woods much so wild hogs or other dangerous animals haven't been a concern. I ,like Hunter am totally engrossed in what I'm doing while detecting but never go alone so I have
an extra pair of eyes to look out. The aerosol horn sounds like a great idea to scare off critters though.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too totally go into a zone, I do carry a switchblade.. Lol. Can't ya just see me saying " bring it. Lets dance." Lmfao . ( Unless i was on the ground being killed, i couldn't pull a knife on an animal anyway. pigs would be a bit scary, cause they are less likely to flee. I've run into snorting , hoof scraping deer, which I suppose could hurt me ... But they are arnt like running into a bulldozer of muscle. We got coyotes around here, but they arnt commonplace yet. Get yourself some mace, I plan on doing that. As women , and detecting alone we should have that. I fear man way more than I fear animals.
Another thing, if your going out alone , tell somebody where. My husband and parents hate when I go detecting alone, especially the woods. So I leave my husband a note telling him where I gone , and I just try to beat him home first.. Lol. But I've watched enough documentaries now, to make sure I always let someone know where I am.
Lol, I just looked again and read you have a pistol... You go girl!! Take some mace that you carry on your belt , Incase, God forbid, you got knocked down n couldn't get your pistol or got it tossed from your hand. Luckily I have yet to hear of anyone being killed by a pig or dear while detecting;) If you run into a weird dude while detecting, just wave your gun around and start talking to yourself and slapping yourself in the head... Lol. Make yourself even weirder than them ;)

Last edited:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmi..... I would probably think about editing your first post again since I do believe it is illegal to carry an automatic knife (switchblade)in PA, and you are on a public forum which does not permit the posting of such.

Terms
You may not.... Post, upload, send personal messages, transmit or otherwise make available any inappropriate, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, vulgar, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, or (unlawful) content.

Not trying to do the Mods job just trying to keep you from gettin a spankin before they catch it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmi..... I would probably think about editing your first post again since I do believe it is illegal to carry an automatic knife (switchblade)in PA, and you are on a public forum which does not permit the posting of such.

Terms
You may not.... Post, upload, send personal messages, transmit or otherwise make available any inappropriate, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, vulgar, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, or (unlawful) content.

Not trying to do the Mods job just trying to keep you from gettin a spankin before they catch it.

I saw her post but not sure what she said applies.
Not only because I don't see mention of it having a spring,
but she is not suggesting others illegal buy or posses one :dontknow:
and I don't think it is unlawful to admit an Illegal act, on a forum.
people do it in books too.
it's just Unlawful when caught by a cop, or you admit it to a judge :laughing7:

Last edited:

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terms

Hunter you never miss an opportunity to be a thorn in my butt do you? Thank you Jeff.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I must respect your tenacity in trying get me in some sort of trouble. Have I told you I carry a switchblade ..

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I must respect your tenacity in trying get me in some sort of trouble. Have I told you I carry a switchblade ..

If you were a school student, & admit it on Face book or Twit'er you have a chance of being
tracked down & arrested. not sure they are that desperate to track an adult down to harass them.
Students are easier to scare and Scam. adults legally fight back

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were a school student, & admit it on Face book or Twit'er you have a chance of being
tracked down & arrested. not sure they are that desperate to track an adult down to harass them.
Students are easier to scare and Scam. adults legally fight back

And considering my only run in with the cops was when I was 5 years old, and the crazy neighbor called them cause I walked on his grass.. Lol

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, Be sure to understand my post was by no means directed toward you or any other Mod for not doing their job as I said. I had a post removed last year by one of the mods when speaking on a thread, of living in Indiana and on occasion carried a weapon for personal protection in bad areas of Chicago IL. where I was working. I'm sure you can confirm this as true if necessary. I was respectfully explained by the Mods that I could not post illegal activities which is why my remark was removed. I totally accepted this and understand these things must be up to the individual discretion of the Moderator. Just to clarify, I made no hysterical suggestions as to the police reading anything on T-Net nor any reference to anyone having prior run ins with the law.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, Be sure to understand my post was by no means directed toward you or any other Mod for not doing their job as I said. I had a post removed last year by one of the mods when speaking on a thread, of living in Indiana and on occasion carried a weapon for personal protection in bad areas of Chicago IL. where I was working. I'm sure you can confirm this as true if necessary. I was respectfully explained by the Mods that I could not post illegal activities which is why my remark was removed. I totally accepted this and understand these things must be up to the individual discretion of the Moderator. Just to clarify, I made no hysterical suggestions as to the police reading anything on T-Net nor any reference to anyone having prior run ins with the law.

since I am not even sure I remember the particular thread,
all I can say is what you already have
these things must be up to the individual discretion of the Moderator.
and perhaps it was the way you phrased it, or their particular interpretation of the rule.
I wouldn't guess you told anyone how to illegally carry & not be caught :dontknow:
or to shoot people & ask questions later :(.

There are many members here who have admitted things they did & Smoked over the years.
I Personally do not judge members of any age for personal habits.

and still believe the police are not going to track down someone from the net,
to illegally search them, or threaten to ruin their lives to get an admission
unless it's someone like a child who will Cry & admit guilt.and maybe bacome a little Nark.

If someone were to try and sell a weapon here I would delete the post.
I still would not ban the member, unless they went postal on me
and then re-posts of course, the rule is just a friendly notice :thumbsup:

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more cow bell

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In today's day and time, it is a bit on the edge for a woman to go out detecting on her own.

Mace, plus a small caliber handgun would be very beneficial. Do take a hunting partner. Then the size of the caliber weapon will not matter.

Take for example the following story:

Woman Stops Grizzly Attack With .25 Cal Pistol

This is a story of self control and marksmanship by a brave, cool-headed woman with a small pistol against a fierce predator.

What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?

The Beretta Jetfire:

Here is her story:

" While out hiking in Alberta Canada with my boyfriend we were surprised by a huge grizzly bear charging at us from out of no where.

She must have been protecting her cubs because she was extremely aggressive.

If I had not had my little Beretta Jetfire with me I would not be here today!

Just one shot to my boyfriend's knee cap was all it took. The bear got him easily, and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace.

It's one of the best pistols in my collection "

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in NH the Con. carry is easy but a visable firearm may unnerve some folks so I now carry my small 9 mm in a Sneaky Pete holster --it looks like an electronic thing and attracts no attention. Perry

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
WATCH OUT!! WATCH OUT... JIMMI CARRIES A SWITCHBLADE! JIMMI CARRIES A SWITCHBLADE!!:laughing7:

Uh.. lady.. trade that little knife in for a minimum, .357 magnum.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I conseal carry a flask, and some sandwiches....:laughing7:

SS

Top Member Reactions