Things You Walked Past a few times

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
And then realized upon a little more examination it was a pretty nice artifact.

This is a crude, right hand, hand full sized, hand ax. I must have walked past 15 times before I noticed some flakes had been knocked off giving it an edge. It even has a spot knocked off for the thumb to give it an excellent grip. It is crude, but I imagine it was very functional at busting bone.

I've also have a Metate I walked by plenty of times before it struck me what it was.

Lets see any artifacts you folks may have walked by a few times.

DSCN3736.JPG

DSCN3738.JPG

DSCN3735.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3737.JPG
    DSCN3737.JPG
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...:laughing7:...had to laugh cause I've done that a lot, to many times to count and probably would have to post to many things...lol

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
When I walk the desert I carry what we call a scoop. It is a stone scoop made by Estwing for rock hounds to grab agates out of cold Lake Superior. This is about as long as a golf club with a clam like scoop on the end.

Ok I am constantly flipping and pick up rocks with it. I also kick a lot of rocks. While walking up to the truck I kicked a rock that was sticking out of the ground about two inches and it didn't move and my foot came to a stop. I dropped down and using the scoop I dug out a two sided metate that was warn out on one side so they flipped it over and used the other side.

I got to learn this picture posting thing!!!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I walk the desert I carry what we call a scoop. It is a stone scoop made by Estwing for rock hounds to grab agates out of cold Lake Superior. This is about as long as a golf club with a clam like scoop on the end.

Ok I am constantly flipping and pick up rocks with it. I also kick a lot of rocks. While walking up to the truck I kicked a rock that was sticking out of the ground about two inches and it didn't move and my foot came to a stop. I dropped down and using the scoop I dug out a two sided metate that was warn out on one side so they flipped it over and used the other side.

hey jon

i am offering help to you as far as the picture posting thing goes
feel free to PM to me with your questions so's i can try to help you

larson1951

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes

LOL! No kids in the neighborhood Jon?

Sounds like my methods, flipping, kicking, prying etc. Both of my complete celts were only showing an inch by an inch before I pried them out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread