Think I am having some issues with my Garrett detector

ridgetop1

Aug 28, 2012
Wisconsin, Lacrosse area
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanting to know if there is something wrong with my garrett grand master hunter cxiii. I am new to detecting and the detector seemes to work fine for a little while then it will start beeping eraticly even when the search coil is held up 5 feet in the air. also when it is in the preset coins mode there is a constant low pitch background noise in the headphones. Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Battery??

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What happens if you turn it off when it starts to act and turn it back on?

OP
OP
R

ridgetop1

Aug 28, 2012
Wisconsin, Lacrosse area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By turning it off and then back on usually fixes the problem for a little while. Seems to give the most trouble when I set the detector down to dig a plug, then when I pick the detector back up to scan alot of times it will just be bouncing back and forth on the screen and beeping eraticly. Thanks

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Ok if that fixes the problem for a short time than you most likely have some overheating problem in some electronic component. That means that your problem is not easy to fix and you will need to send it in for service.
That is my opinion, seek more but I had that type of problems before in other electronic equipment.

OP
OP
R

ridgetop1

Aug 28, 2012
Wisconsin, Lacrosse area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody know if there should be a constant ringing when in motion mode, there is a low pitch constant ringing even thru the speaker when headphones are not pluged in. When you hit a target it will tone louder than the background tone so you can still hear when you pass over a target, its just that the background ringing is annoying. Thanks for all the help

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Do you mean the treashold? Constant background sound?

OP
OP
R

ridgetop1

Aug 28, 2012
Wisconsin, Lacrosse area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I have heard of threashold but dont know what it is, I also held the power button down for 10 seconds to restore it to factory settings but still does the same

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Ok you would need to make some YouTube research to see how the treashold sounds like, it's like a constant hummmmm that can rise if there is a faint metal signal.
Anyway if it gets all crazy from being on for a certain amount of time than there is no question that you detector has a problem.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my suggestion: do a hard reset by pressing the power button in (and hold it in) till you get a beep. You will still hear the threshold as it is set to be just high enough to hear. Now, press the "set audio" button. Your disply will show a certain number of "tics". Press the "minus" button once to reduce the threshold tone. Maybe once more. Now you should not hear any more constant (low) tones. As for the irratic noises and display bounce, probably caused by an electronic signal from a motor. My detectors do the same thing whenever the sump pump or airconditioner unit is running (nearby). Yours may be doing the same thing. If going to another location entirely and you still get the irratic noise, give Garrett a call. I am using my GTA 500 to check the above instructions. Your buttons may have different labels. Check the manual. Hope this helps. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread