Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think I got a really good pawn shop deal...White's MXT for $185

I'm not familiar with White's at all, but it was sitting in the corner at the pawn shop for $185. I Google'd it and saw MSRP over $500 for any model, so I picked it up. Just gave it a good cleaning. It seems to have been used, but not abused. Surface scratches on the controller, a peeling label and the foam padding is worn down in a couple of places, but no major dents, dings etc. Air tested it and got solid readings back on silver, zinc, nickel and my gold ring. Think I did good. :hello2:

Any suggestions other than an air test that I should do to verify it's proper operation? Also, is that a stock coil on it?

20151024_125846_HDR_zps8yzcc8bh.jpg

20151024_125834_HDR_zps5ror9khh.jpg

20151024_125829_HDR_zpsgb5gqwfx.jpg

20151024_125822_HDR_zpsgbpd6xg1.jpg

20151024_125814_HDR_zpstold4tsb.jpg

I'd say you got a good deal.:headbang: Used they sell anywheres from $400 - $525.

It works, looks good, you got a very good deal. I have seen bad machine go for more.

You stole it ! Nice buy :icon_thumleft:

Appears to be the stock coil. Ya did good. Been a Whites fan for years, and have 4 of them. If you go to the Whites site, you can down load the owners manual, and if any thing goes wrong, their customer service is second to none. Congratulations again.

You have a great machine, but it does not do well on wet sand at a salt water beach. Works the dry sand great though. I love my MXT, and use it most of the time.

Thanks for the tips. I played with it a little yesterday afternoon in the yard. It's definitely a busy little machine(for me)...I swing a Tesoro Silver uMax, which is pretty much turn-on and go. That little toggle switch on the grip will take some getting used to. Oh well, I'll play with it for a month or so and pass it on to someone else if I decide it's not for me.

I'm a heavy Tesoro user, but I also have the MXT, same version as pictured. If you take time to learn and get comfortable with it and add a couple of the optional coils, In my humble opinion you'll have one of the most versatile detectors around. I especially like mine with the elliptical 6X10 coil mounted followed by the 6" or 4X6" shooter coils for trashy areas. The MXT has a continual threshold hum which some find irritating, but I find it doesn't bother me when set at a just audible level which is where it should be, anyway.
luvsdux

gotta be honest...had one.It finds metal...BUT it is the loudest,most obnixious beast I have ever swung.Wear headphones or expect to be mounted by a male deer if you use the pinpointer.The threshold sound enuf is enuf to give me nausea.It was deep...but not accurate.just my 2 cents

You did REAL good ! That IS the stock coil . I'm now swinging an MXT ALL PRO with a 8x6 SEF coil on it . The only time I ever find it a bit obnoxious is when it goes into OVERLOAD or the Zinc penny tone but you get used to it and even learn to appreciate what it's telling you . It grabs the goods and you can swing it at a decent speed .It's now the detector I use the most of all my detectors .White's builds great detectors and takes good care of their customers . The more you use it the more you will like it . I've had mine a little over a month now and have done real well with it .

I respectfully differ with Bigfoot1. Mine is accurate and threshold is no problem when properly set with a proper ground balance. My only negative impression is the weight.
luvsdux

You could sell it for more than you paid for it so a great way to try out a detector and not lose a dime!

You need a 5.3 Eclipse to go with it. I happen to have one for sale

Fletch is right - the 5.3 eclipse is a great addition.
luvsdux

You scored bigtime ! I've been using one of these for over 10 years with the 6x10 elliptical coil - solid machine for sure !!!

NOW COME ON FELLAS EVERYBODY KNOWS THE MXT SERIES IS A KILLER WITH AN 8X6 DETECH COIL . THATS MY SET UP ON MY MXT ALL PRO AND IS THAT THE 300MM ? MAN YOU GOT A STEAL AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED AND WHITES GONNA DO IT RIGHT AND HECK OF A PURCHASE .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back