THINK THERES GOLD IN/AROUND DEVILS LAKE-BARABOO WI? I do

BadgerGold

Mar 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
THINK THERE'S GOLD IN/AROUND DEVILS LAKE-BARABOO WI? I do

I have been trying to find a good location to prospect here in WI that is not TOO far away (I live in SE wisconsin by Milkwaukee) I have yet to find even a SPECK of gold. I mimicked Tom Massie when he was in Chicago, IL and looked for Lake Michigan beach gold the other day... tons of black sand but no gold, tried plenty of other creeks around here too...

Then the other day, I was looking at the Geological Survey map and one of the LARGEST areas of quartzite in the ENTIRE state of WI is at Devil's Lake state park in Baraboo Wisconsin. There's literally some of the rarest quartz specimens there with the only other specimens like it being in Brazil so I got to thinking, "Maybe there's gold there!?" Now, I was unable to find any substantial rivers/streams around there at least using Google satellite so I may not be able to sluice, but I am definitely gonna take a trip there this summer and do some panning around the lake as well as around all the rocky areas.

Please let me know if you think this spot may hold gold and/or if you live in WI and have panned around there...

Good luck out there!

-BG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BadgerGold

Mar 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
UPDATE

I did find a small creek branching directly off the lake on the SW corner, several pictures were taken and posted on google and although mossy.. look promising. Hey it's worth a shot

hardballer

Mar 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the Wisconsin DNR website, you CANNOT prospect on Wisconsin State Park property.

However, be aware that mineral collection is not allowed on certain State properties. Properties subject to this
restriction include: Recreational Gold Panning in Wisconsin Page 3
 State Parks,
 State Trails,
 State Recreational Areas,
 Wild and Scenic Rivers as designated by the State, and
 State Natural Areas.
There may be other public areas where mineral collecting or panning is restricted or prohibited. Always contact
the appropriate property manager before panning on public property to make sure there are no other restrictions.
For details of applicable mineral collecting rules on National Forest land, you must contact the Federal property
manager

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll save your time though.

There's no gold ever found. Just never was there.

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't mess with Wisconsin DNR

I heard they went and arrested and fined a whole troop of boyscouts and their leader, $100 each, for removing rock specimens from a state park in Wisconsin.The scouts good fortune was written up in a local newspaper,unfortunately for them.
Look up Nugget Lake county park in Wisconsin. We panned for gold up there.Its somewheres around Menominee, wherever the heck that is? They mined diamonds there back in the 1890's and found a little fine gold too.We were able to sluice there but nothing motorized. Nice place to camp too.

-Tom V.

You'll save your time though.

There's no gold ever found. Just never was there.

tannerhatley

May 20, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We seriously need to do something about our police DNR here. They have way too much authority for what they do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread