Thinkin of upgrading...need some input...

TexasRanger

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2013
Mount Pleasant, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinkin' of upgrading...need some input...

I have a Garrett GTAx550 and by today's standards she's a little on the old side. I bought it many years ago but life and work got in the way (as they are subject to do) and I never had a chance to hunt much. I'm giving serious consideration to upgrading to a Garrett AT Pro. Anybody got any pro's or con's to offer about this instrument? I have done some pretty heavy research on this particular model. I have zeroed in on this model because of it's ability to be used in fresh or salt water. I plan to go to the Texas Coast next summer and hunt the beach a little.

I am looking for coins primarily, but I'd also like to find a few rings, old belt buckles, and the odd metal button from time to time, and maybe...just maybe...a gold coin or two when I go to the beach..

Any pointers you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I live in N.E. Texas so if anyone knows a good place to hunt I wouldn't turn that information down, either.

And one more thing...are the Treasure Hunting magazines worth the bother?

Thanks, Folks

Butch

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
used a 550 for quite a few years found a lot of good relics with it. upgraded to the at pro last year and love it.its great for buttons and nickles as well as everything else you mentioned.just make sure to watch the videos

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
used a 550 for quite a few years found a lot of good relics with it. upgraded to the at pro last year and love it.its great for buttons and nickles as well as everything else you mentioned.just make sure to watch the videos

The AT Pro is good for finding nickels. In my experience, when it consistently reads nickels when you move the coil back and forth, it is almost always a nickel. My CTX can sometimes be a nickel or piece of aluminium. Crap shoot sometimes.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a great upgrade from your GTA. It works well at the Texas beaches, lakes and streams. It loves jewelry, coins and relics. I'm not sure how many gold coins you will find on the TX beaches, though :wink:

For hunt sites in your area, look at tamdc.org and see if they have any detecting clubs nearby. I know there are some in Longview, Smith and Rusk Counties.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread