fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any water hunters have any advice? I am looking for a VLF water machine with tone ID. I wont be diving, just basically wading. I dont know enough about waterproof machines. I have been reading up on them but I would like to get your opinions. Thaks!!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saltwater or Freshwater? Budget?

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any water hunters have any advice? I am looking for a VLF water machine with tone ID. I wont be diving, just basically wading. I dont know enough about waterproof machines. I have been reading up on them but I would like to get your opinions. Thaks!!
There is videos on U Tube of people water hunting using the Garrett AT Pro, And the AT pro is within your price range. I have the AT pro and like it so far but haven't been in the water with it yet, To cold.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Semper Fi, Mac. There are a lot of Utube videos on the Garrett AT Pro. A gentleman who goes by Aquachigger' has quite a few out and he shows the use of the AT Po in use in rivers and has done quite well by the videos. As Mr. Solomon stated, the Pro might be a good fit for you. It is waterproof up to 10 feet, and these are best for use in freshwater and the price range I believe will be within your budget. They have actually for the first time come down in price a little bit. Watch some of the video's and see what you think. Quite a few folks use the Pro. Best of Luck to you Devil Dog.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. I have been looking at the Tesoro Tiger Sharks. But from what I have read they only have the one tone. As soon as I can get rid of whites GMT Ill be ready to get a water machine. I have an MXT so there is no point in keeping the GMT. And maybe the wife can use the water machine on land too.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "One Tone" is why I love my Tiger Shark. I've tried the "bing, bang, bong," detectors and they drive me crazy. Once you get use to the "One Tone", you will hear subtle differences that can tell you a lot.

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the best vlf water machines don't work very well in minereralized black sand that are in some freshwater lakes and rivers. You should find out first before making a purchase. You'll have that problem here in California. I use a pi detector and dig everything in the swimming lanes. It's best to do that because coins can be masking gold rings.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a new machine, I'd get the AT Pro. For a used machine, look at some of the Minelab machines......Sovereign GT, Explorer, E-trac, Safari. They're not waterproof, but, fine for shallow wading with a safety tether. A used Fisher CZ20/1 might be in your price range too, if you don't mind silent search.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. Tone machine. $680 or so. Easy to use and works great, salt or fresh. Electronics are in the headphones so the shaft is nice and light for swinging in water. Cable is straight, not coiled. I have the 8" coil which unfortunately is not changable, but I don't have a problem with it. Internal batt, supposedly will take 1000 charges @ 40 hrs/charge. I know I don't charge mine often. Check youtube, there are a few videos on it.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you want a VLF and have $600 to spend...its pretty easy as you don't have a lot of choices:

AT Pro or Tesaro Tiger Shark. Both machines get great reviews and you aren't going to go wrong with either.

Don't get a PI unless you really want/need a PI. Don't get a non-waterproof unit for any type of waterproof hunting. Just search the forums and you will see tons of posts of people dropping their $1500 machine into the water and destroying it.

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
I am also looking to buy a Beach MD. I will be hunter mostly at the New Jersey shore so and because of the iron in the Salt Water I am looking hard at the Fisher CZ-21 as my pick.
Has anyone compared the Whites MX Sport Waterproof to The Fisher CZ-21 or Minelab Excalibur II? I am not driving so 10 ft of water is good for me.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hunted water with Indian Steve using my Excal II. He does as good or better with the Tiger Shark as I do in the water.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Cz21 and Excal are both excellent salt water machines. I've had an Excal for 6 yrs and still running strong w no complaints. I do heavy surf and beach hunting on black sand beaches sometimes covered in rocks. - The best time for hunting after Winter weather removes the sand from the beaches revealing the underlayment and gold.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given your needs and budget, I'd say run with the AT Pro, get both a capable land and water hunting machine out of one machine with the ability to swap coil sizes. Should work fantastic in freshwater environments and offer you a lot of versatility.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
call Dennis at METALDETECORS,COM great deals on water machines

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish I had $600... I'd get that AT Pro. Looks like hands down the best across land and water.

On a side note... which unit were you with in Iraq?

kanescoins

Mar 17, 2017
Spokane Washington
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My next detector will be the garret AT pro for its water abilities and mid to high user capabilities and then from there will be the XP Duess

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread