Thinking About Buying the AT Max

markmcknight

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm totally new to metal detecting. Been doing a lot of research lately and it is def something I want to get into. Was originally looking at the Garrett AT Pro, but after doing some research I discovered the AT Max. It seems to be a lot better than the Pro just by looking at this comparison chart.

(Deleted by mod for rule infraction)

I'm not going to be doing any Gold type prospecting so don't need any Gold specific detectors. I don't want to go with a total beginner model, because I want something that can grow along with me as I get better at using it. That's why I choose the Garrett AT Max.

Although when I check out the reviews of the AT Max, nobody seems to be recommending it.

https://www.smarterhobby.com/metal-detecting/best-metal-detector/
https://hobbyhelp.com/metal-detecting/best-metal-detector/

Has anyone here used a AT Max and is it much better than a Pro?
Also is there a similar model I should be looking for from a different brand that might be better that I don't know about yet?. ie. Whites, Fisher or Minelabs?

Regards,
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the Minab equinox 600 or 800, they are multi freq detectors, both pro and max is single freq detectors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet, sorry, I deleted your detector link, we do not allow links to non supporting vendors.

Check out the Minab equinox 600 or 800, they are multi freq detectors, both pro and max is single freq detectors.

Treasureman25

May 30, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe joe dirt has an at max for sale in the charter member forum.. think it was like a year old barely used for 425$ or something along those lines.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet, sorry, I deleted your detector link, we do not allow links to non supporting vendors.

Agree, for about the same money, the Equinox is superior in every aspect. If you plan on doing any salt water beach hunting, there is no comparison.....NOX!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The tones of the AT Max are harsh. My vote is an Equinox 600 or a Simplex.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop thinking about it. Think about the Equinox instead.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I vote Equinox 600 or 800. One thing we forget in the US is the ability of the Equinox to find small gold mixed in with coke. Which is a problem in UK, Ireland & Europe were coke was more hundred of years ago.

OP
OP
M

markmcknight

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No problem about the link. It was just a chart comparing the Garrett AT's. I'm sure most people on here probably know the differences already.

Thanks everyone for the fast replies. It seems the Equinox 600 and 800 are the popular choices. I will continue my research in this direction.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem about the link. It was just a chart comparing the Garrett AT's. I'm sure most people on here probably know the differences already.

Thanks everyone for the fast replies. It seems the Equinox 600 and 800 are the popular choices. I will continue my research in this direction.

Both the Equinox and AT Max are great machines, just not what I would consider beginner models. You definitely will need to grow into these as your skills advance. These detectors have tons of modes and features that can provide overwhelming amounts of audible and visual information or they can be dumbed down somewhat. Depending on your level of patience, amount of time you are willing to study the manual and watch videos (and participate in TNets brand forums), jumping into one of these may work. If you want to buy a detector and hit an old spot or beach and look for immediate treasure with minimal learning curve, I would look at an entry level machine.

Jan 24, 2020
Nj
Detector(s) used
Main: nokta anfibio multi
Backup: se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nokta macro anfibio multi lot of guys like the nox 800 on this forum form my experience regardless of the multi frequency the nokta is head to head with more customization in my honest opinion unless your going to be doing a lot of beach hunting or nugget prospecting both detectors will throughouly out do the max though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions